Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Rob Gronkowski makes massive donation to Buffalo children's hospital

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Who funded the Foundation? Was it your money? I’ll bet it was mostly money Gronk elected to funnel that way. Good for the hospital indeed, and I won’t discount his contribution in any way. 

I believe it was Rob and his brothers that started and run the foundation. 

Edited by ricojes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Augie said:

It is also generous when you give publicly. $50k is $50k. 

 

Yes like Ralph Wilson did.  He did not need to have donated so much money when he died.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that often befuddles me here is how some many people hate on folks who have made some money. He gives away $50k and people say it could/should be more. WTF? 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

I mentioned it with a purpose; to point out that it was an isolated incident - which it was.

 

And I will maintain, forever, that the worst part of that hit was White's teammates standing by and doing nothing - and never doing anything - in an effort to avenge him.

 

Until he publicly apologizes to White saying it was an uncalled for hit he cannot buy forgiveness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Senator said:

 

So I take that had he broken White’s neck and left him in a Kevin Everett condition, Gronk would not be a great guy, but since White can still walk, Gronk’s a helluva great dude?

 

Are you related to him?

.

As was stated by Gug Gronk did not have a history of dirty play. Instead, he was usually the victim of dirty play throughout his career. He lost his composure and could have seriously hurt White on the play. Fortunately, White did not get seriously injured. He was ultimately suspended for that reckless play. The disciplinary system worked as it was supposed to. 

 

I'm not giving Gronk a pass on that play. But it isn't fair to allow that one play to represent how he usually played the game. In addition,  I'm not going to sneer, as others have done, at his generous donation. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Augie said:

One thing that often befuddles me here is how some many people hate on folks who have made some money. He gives away $50k and people say it could/should be more. WTF? 

 

I’m not saying he didn’t do a good thing, but I’m similarly befuddled by how many are ready to anoint him King of the Benevolent Dummies for this.

 

If this was truly about doing good and not about PR, he would’ve made that gift anonymously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

It is an emotional moment in the heat of battle, far short of taking a knife across town and slashing throats. My analogy is far closer than yours, which was my point. 

Trying to cripple someone is more than being in the heat of the moment. Using your logic though, OJ could argue that he was in the heat of the moment also. Your analogy really down plays how vicious and despicable Gronk was... he was borderline psychopathic criminal. Your point isn’t nearly as close as you think, which is my point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Trying to cripple someone is more than being in the heat of the moment. Using your logic though, OJ could argue that he was in the heat of the moment also. Your analogy really down plays how vicious and despicable Gronk was... he was borderline psychopathic criminal. Your point isn’t nearly as close as you think, which is my point. 

 

No, one happened during a play in a heated game. The other required a trip to go visit someone with a knife and gloves. Don’t embarrass yourself. I am NOT excusing Gronk, but take a step back and review. 

7 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

 

I’m not saying he didn’t do a good thing, but I’m similarly befuddled by how many are ready to anoint him King of the Benevolent Dummies for this.

 

If this was truly about doing good and not about PR, he would’ve made that gift anonymously. 

 

I don’t get why doing it anonymously makes it better. How many college buildings or fields are named after families? It’s almost like you LOSE points for making it public. That’s just wrong. Be generous, and appreciate those who are generous. 

 

If you don’t want to like or appreciate him or his gift, that’s fine. Nobody asked for that. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

 

I’m not saying he didn’t do a good thing, but I’m similarly befuddled by how many are ready to anoint him King of the Benevolent Dummies for this.

 

If this was truly about doing good and not about PR, he would’ve made that gift anonymously. 

Pretty sure since it is from the Gronk Nation Foundation, it cannot be anonymous.

Edited by ricojes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As was stated by Gug Gronk did not have a history of dirty play. Instead, he was usually the victim of dirty play throughout his career. He lost his composure and could have seriously hurt White on the play. Fortunately, White did not get seriously injured. He was ultimately suspended for that reckless play. The disciplinary system worked as it was supposed to. 

 

I'm not giving Gronk a pass on that play. But it isn't fair to allow that one play to represent how he usually played the game. In addition,  I'm not going to sneer, as others have done, at his generous donation. 

Finally, a voice of reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

 

If you make a $50 or $500 gift to anything worthwhile, I hope nobody disparages that contribution on your behalf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

No, one happened during a play in a heated game. The other required a trip to go visit someone with a knife and gloves. Don’t embarrass yourself. I am NOT excusing Gronk, but take a step back and review. 

 

I don’t get why doing it anonymously makes it better. How many college buildings or fields are named after families? It’s almost like you LOSE points for making it public. That’s just wrong. Be generous, and appreciate those who are generous. 

 

If you don’t want to like or appreciate him or his gift, that’s fine. Nobody asked for that. 

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Gronk: 6’6”  280

Tre: 5’11” 190

 

Takes a big man to dive with all his body weight onto the back neck of a MUCH smaller rookie and try to cripple him. Gronk is a scumbag through and through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

His former owner gave someone less fortunate a massive load of his own and got nothing but criticism

At his age, I doubt it was a massive load. More like a drop in the bucket.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Well that’s just silly! I made no excuses. I said it was horribly wrong. I was drawing a distinction. 

 

You say he “tried to deliberately end the career” of Tre. How do you know what was in his mind? Certainly frustration and maybe rage. End his career? You KNOW that? In the heat of the moment? 

 

Don’t embarrass yourself further by trying to equate a dirty play on a football field with a double homicide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Agree, nice he donated but $50k to him is $50 to most of us. Title is misleading

 

I think you should donate $100 to them ASAP. You know, to prove that point.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

 

I'd revoke your avy if I had the power for that post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always thought that Rob Gronkowski was what was RIGHT for football.  Talented, fun and clean.  The White hit was terrible; but it was an isolated incident for which I refuse to label him.

 

He's a great dude.

Ok, lets go with that! OJ was a great dude, outside of a single indiscretion.

Edited by TYSONKO1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Gronk: 6’6”  280

Tre: 5’11” 190

 

Takes a big man to dive with all his body weight onto the back neck of a MUCH smaller rookie and try to cripple him. Gronk is a scumbag through and through. 

It wasn't pretty, but saying he tried to end a career is a little much. Sure he tried to f him up, but end his caree? Nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

$50k gift from a guy with that much money is what’s known as a “go away” gift. 

 

I will likewise nominate you to donate $50 or go away

 

im not giving the guy the key to the city or throwing a parade but the dude just paid for a nurse for a year. Or some new equipment. To help sick kids in buffalo. Good for him and I’d gladly shake his hand and say thanks for it, despite his history playing football against Buffalo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Senator said:

 

So I take that had he broken White’s neck and left him in a Kevin Everett condition, Gronk would not be a great guy, but since White can still walk, Gronk’s a helluva great dude?

 

Are you related to him?

.

 

I'm Puerto Rican.  You're the Polish guy!!  

 

You're really reaching on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

So $50K a “massive” donation?  I think not.

 

 

$50k / $53m in career earning = 1/10 of 1%.   Nice donation and kudos to him, but yes, not close to "massive".   I was expecting 10x that amount from the thread title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

No, you are excusing Gronk. That is exactly what you’re doing... you are making an excuse for his abhorrent act, so you are excusing him. Calling it, the heat of the moment... kinda like a crime of passion. 

 

You’re making excuses for a scumbag who tried to deliberately end the career of a young player whose biggest fault that game was playing aggressive bump and run. You are making an excuse for him, admit it. Because that’s literally what you did... you made an excuse for why Gronks act wasn’t “that” bad. 

Gronk: 6’6”  280

Tre: 5’11” 190

 

Takes a big man to dive with all his body weight onto the back neck of a MUCH smaller rookie and try to cripple him. Gronk is a scumbag through and through. 

 

I have a sneaking suspicion was that he was hoping tre would “feel it in the morning” not that he would never walk again. 

 

I could be waaaaay off base there but I think it was aggressively dumb more than anything deliberately career ending. That said, I doubt the kids at this hospital appreciate the gesture any less, and ultimately that’s what the thread might be best served to remember, instead of another tearing the dude down. 

Edited by NoSaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Hmmm, I guess you probably think OJ is great dude also, except for his one slip up. 

 

If someone actually believed that, then that person - hypothetically of course - would be an absolute moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...