Rob Gronkowski makes massive donation to Buffalo children's hospital

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I used to like Gronk. Ive even defended him to people at the bar, etc. 

He pulled a garbage move that changed the way I see him. Now he’s a garbage person imo. Fair? I don’t know, more so I don’t care. 

I’m sure he doesn’t care how I feel about him so why should I spend any amount of time thinking about how I feel about him? 

"I'm not going to my waste time thinking about someone so let me make a post on the internet saying exactly how I feel about him"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I used to like Gronk. Ive even defended him to people at the bar, etc. 

He pulled a garbage move that changed the way I see him. Now he’s a garbage person imo. Fair? I don’t know, more so I don’t care. 

I’m sure he doesn’t care how I feel about him so why should I spend any amount of time thinking about how I feel about him? 

Clearly, he's not worth your time and you've given this no thought.  Be a Warrior!

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if what has been reported about him is accurate, he has NEVER touched one dime of his $53.79 mil in career earnings......pretty damn remarkable fiscal discipline....

This..fallacy again. It's not fiscal discipline. He's made a gargantuan amount of money from endorsement deals. That's like saying you go and work a day delivering pizza and never touch that $10 for the next ten years that you have exercised financial discipline.

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Happy for the hospital and grateful for Gronk's generous donation, but why the publicity? Why the need to make sure we all know about it? I've known countless pro athletes over the years that donate time, money, and other resources to charitable causes routinely and most don't need any public recognition for it. Indeed, most don't want it. Flame me all you want, but there's a hint of manipulation here. 

I won’t flame anyone for this position. I do understand the sentiment. But if he wants some warm wishes blown his way in return for his $50k, I won’t hold it against him even if it IS calculated in some way to sway people’s perception of him. The $50k is still $50k. I’ll say thank you and move on, but that’s just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This..fallacy again. It's not fiscal discipline. He's made a gargantuan amount of money from endorsement deals. That's like saying you go and work a day delivering pizza and never touch that $10 for the next ten years that you have exercised financial discipline.

....so just because he essentially lived off endorsements while NOT spending any of his earnings has nothing to do with fiscal discipline/restraint?....sorry, but disagree.........look how many earn similar money playing sports AS WELL AS endorsements and go broke.........Vince Young blew through $26+ mil in a nanosecond...good 'ol Latrell Spreewel (laughed at Timberwolves' offer of $14 mil/yr...insulted because "I have a family to feed..") whose NBA career earnings were $61.875 MILLION and he went belly up FLAT BROKE....lost EVERYTHING......there are MANY others..............

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Who cares! Does the money Gronkowski makes impact your life at all? Get over it!

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I won’t flame anyone for this position. I do understand the sentiment. But if he wants some warm wishes blown his way in return for his $50k, I won’t hold it against him even if it IS calculated in some way to sway people’s perception of him. The $50k is still $50k. I’ll say thank you and move on, but that’s just me. 

I did say thank you and I have moved on. 

There’s just something about charitable giving and self aggrandizement that I find distasteful. That’s just me, I guess. 

And like you said, $50k is $50k and that’s nothing to sneeze at so I can’t lose sight of that. Better for a douche to give $50k than not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I did say thank you and I have moved on. 

There’s just something about charitable giving and self aggrandizement that I find distasteful. That’s just me, I guess. 

And like you said, $50k is $50k and that’s nothing to sneeze at so I can’t lose sight of that. Better for a douche to give $50k than not. 

No right or wrong here, just curious......is it just Gronk or is it everyone? How do you feel about someone giving million$ and having a wing of a children’s hospital named after them? Or the new nursing school building? A wealthy family gave a HUGE amount of money to the athletic department at my school, and got their name on the basketball court. I didn’t like it at first, but then realized most of the buildings on campus are named after someone. 

I get that this is Gronk and he can be.....polarizing, to put it mildly. 

Just now, Augie said:

No right or wrong here, just curious......is it just Gronk or is it everyone? How do you feel about someone giving million$ and having a wing of a children’s hospital named after them? Or the new nursing school building? A wealthy family gave a HUGE amount of money to the athletic department at my school, and got their name on the basketball court. I didn’t like it at first, but then realized most of the buildings on campus are named after someone. 

....but Augie he is a key member of the hated Patsies gang, be it dominance or his cheap shot....so post career, he remembers his home town with a nice charitable donation (MASSIVE was a cheap OP insert IMO-check the pressers) and the hate should continue?...SMH.....

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s a good question.

It’s not just Gronk. I have a general distaste for anyone who donates with an ulterior motive of self aggrandizement. In the case of those who have buildings named after them, etc., I don’t like thinking that’s the price for the gift, but it’s often a case of the recipient, a family member, or an associate etc., that insists on the honor. So who am I to say? 

There are countless people who do these kinds good works every day that we never hear about and I just think that’s more to my liking.   

And yeah, Gronk is polarizing to say the least. But I’d feel the same way even if he wasn’t a douche.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so just because he essentially lived off endorsements while NOT spending any of his earnings has nothing to do with fiscal discipline/restraint?....sorry, but disagree.........look how many earn similar money playing sports AS WELL AS endorsements and go broke.........Vince Young blew through $26+ mil in a nanosecond...good 'ol Latrell Spreewel (laughed at Timberwolves' offer of $14 mil/yr...insulted because "I have a family to feed..") whose NBA career earnings were $61.875 MILLION and he went belly up FLAT BROKE....lost EVERYTHING......there are MANY others..............

Not being the worst at something doesn't indicate you're goods at something...

54 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Who cares! Does the money Gronkowski makes impact your life at all? Get over it!

What does anything on this forum matter to anyone's life? Why do people post here at all?!

Josh Allen being a success? What does it matter to your life?

Gronk donating money? Why bother posting about it. It doesn't matter to your life!

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s a good question.

It’s not just Gronk. I have a general distaste for anyone who donates with an ulterior motive of self aggrandizement. In the case of those who have buildings named after them, etc., I don’t like thinking that’s the price for the gift, but it’s often a case of the recipient, a family member, or an associate etc., that insists on the honor. So who am I to say? 

There are countless people who do these kinds good works every day that we never hear about and I just think that’s more to my liking.   

And yeah, Gronk is polarizing to say the least. But I’d feel the same way even if he wasn’t a douche.

I tend to agree that this is more my personal style and preference, but by far the biggest thing for me is the good deed. If someone wants the attention, they just have a different personality/style and that’s fine. 

We have some good friends who hosted a party to kickoff fund raising for renovations at our church. He kicked in the first $50k, then before the night was over he was enjoying the good vibe so much he bumped it up to $100k (and he doesn’t drink! If that’s what you’re thinking). He’s generally a very humble guy, but he was loving it in so many ways. So it can work for good causes. (Funny aside, same guy at an event once and another guy kept talking about how he went to Harvard, as Harvard folks tend to do. This was some post-grad thing. Kept bringing it up, repeatedly. Eventually Jim said, “yeah, I did the same thing after I sold my business, it’s really no big deal.” WHAT? He’d never mentioned that in all the years we knew him, but did it just to shut down the braggart. Priceless!) 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I tend to agree that this is more my personal style and preference, but by far the biggest thing for me is the good deed. If someone wants the attention, they just have a different personality/style and that’s fine. 

We have some good friends who hosted a party to kickoff fund raising for renovations at our church. He kicked in the first $50k, then before the night was over he was enjoying the good vibe so much he bumped it up to $100k (and he doesn’t drink! If that’s what you’re thinking). He’s generally a very humble guy, but he was loving it in so many ways. So it can work for good causes. (Funny aside, same guy at an event once and another guy kept talking about how he went to Harvard, as Harvard folks tend to do. This was some post-grad thing. Kept bringing it up, repeatedly. Eventually Jim said, “yeah, I did the same thing after I sold my business, it’s really no big deal.” WHAT? He’d never mentioned that in all the years we knew him, but did it just to shut down the braggart. Priceless!) 

Great story. Jim sounds like my kind of guy. Modesty is a valuable character trait; the basis of class, imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

As an Arizona fan I should have liked Gronk but once he joined the Pats he became the enemy. Worst of all, in reading about this I found out that the old Children's Hospital where I was born was closed down and moved to a new facility. For some reason that depresses me.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Clearly, he's not worth your time and you've given this no thought.  Be a Warrior!

I love when three geeks get together and like each others comments. I bet it makes them feel really cool and popular for a hot minute. 

ZOMG! I’m being so funny, I’m posting something similar to that other guys post so I must be right! 

I used to like Gronk. Now he’s garbage. It’s not worth my time to delve any deeper than that. 

Ill go with my gut in this one, feel free to play comment soggy bread all over my post. You guys seem to really enjoy that. 

Oh and btw, Gronk would bully you and call you names behind your back. Guaranteed. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....but Augie he is a key member of the hated Patsies gang, be it dominance or his cheap shot....so post career, he remembers his home town with a nice charitable donation (MASSIVE was a cheap OP insert IMO-check the pressers) and the hate should continue?...SMH.....

I don't like gronk still, I love that he gave 50k to a good cause.

I don't even understand why this is a thread, and even more so the negative responses towards him.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I love when three geeks get together and like each others comments. I bet it makes them feel really cool and popular for a hot minute. 

ZOMG! I’m being so funny, I’m posting something similar to that other guys post so I must be right! 

I used to like Gronk. Now he’s garbage. It’s not worth my time to delve any deeper than that. 

Ill go with my gut in this one, feel free to play comment soggy bread all over my post. You guys seem to really enjoy that. 

Oh and btw, Gronk would bully you and call you names behind your back. Guaranteed. 

These are the ramblings of a madman.

23 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

As an Arizona fan I should have liked Gronk but once he joined the Pats he became the enemy. Worst of all, in reading about this I found out that the old Children's Hospital where I was born was closed down and moved to a new facility. For some reason that depresses me.

Meh. The hospital I was born at was shut down years ago. I'm just happy I survived the place. You'll get over it.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't like gronk still, I love that he gave 50k to a good cause.

I don't even understand why this is a thread, and even more so the negative responses towards him.

These are the ramblings of a madman.

Thank you? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What does anything on this forum matter to anyone's life? Why do people post here at all?!

Gronk donating money? Why bother posting about it. It doesn't matter to your life!

I ask that question daily; get a life dude! I have been an avid Bills fan since 1964 , my family held seasons tickets since 1960; get a life!

56 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think gronk donating money can have impact on one's life way more than anything that happens on a football field. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Thank you? 

Takes one to know one brother lol. 

• Like (+1) 2