Rob Gronkowski makes massive donation to Buffalo children's hospital

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if what has been reported about him is accurate, he has NEVER touched one dime of his $53.79 mil in career earnings......pretty damn remarkable fiscal discipline....so charitable contributions and support are at his whim....good show Gronk....flip side is THE one Latrell Spreewell, who said when NBA Timberwolves offered him $14 mil a year, " I have a family to feed"....azz clown lost everything including all of his exorbitant excesses.....who cares....

it is not just his fiscal discipline and at a whim. If he hasn't touched that money, he is making about $2mil per year in interest....

Wowza!

• Like (+1) 1

Bravo!

And I dont think we relentlessly booed him.  The Tre White thing was ugly and turned people against him late, but all along, Gronk was a goofball and made me laugh.  I liked him, it sucked to see him on the Patriots and a key safety valve for Brady.  

My word there are some salty folk 'round these parts.

Look, Gronk may be an ass, but he has absolutely no requirement to give money to anyone or any cause.  He donated a very large sum of money--more than the average American makes in a single year--to a very worthwhile cause in his home town.

That some people have managed to find a way to criticize him for that says a LOT more about them than it does about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

Thanks for the $50,000 donation Gronk !!! 

BUT  it's going to cost MUCH more then $50,000 if he wants to come back home and not have to worry about getting his a$$ whooped , 

Is there a Putin vs Gronk PPV in our future? I might pay for that! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

imo no one is" criticizing charity"

to your comment - Oh,  I can.  Its quite simple and shouldn't be a surprise. 

Many charities refuse the donations if it comes from "shady sources".    

What a sad existence 

Again this money did not come from Rob's wallet directly,  it's from he and his brothers foundation.  I am sure Rob plays a huge role in fundraising events such as golf outings and dinners to raise money for the foundation. But they could have very well said it was donated by Gordie Gronkowski Jr, he is an equal partner in the foundation, but obviously Rob name is the key to it's success. 

I am not belittling the donation, I think it's great that they are donating to the area.  It's just misleading that it's from Rob alone.  So, thank you to all the Gronk brothers.

And the title was pulled from another article, i believe the OP wanted to put that in there to get it going quickly.  Which it did, well done!

Edited by ricojes

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

$50k / $53m in career earning = 1/10 of 1%.   Nice donation and kudos to him, but yes, not close to "massive".   I was expecting 10x that amount from the thread title.

Right, massive would be at least 500k to a few million.  

50k is less than .01 % of his career earnings to put in perspective.

Edited by HeHateMe

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Right, massive would be at least 500k to a few million.  

50k is less than .01 % of his career earnings to put in perspective.

Where have you been?!?!?!??

28 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Again this money did not come from Rob's wallet directly,  it's from he and his brothers foundation.  I am sure Rob plays a huge role in fundraising events such as golf outings and dinners to raise money for the foundation, but they could have very well said it was donated by Gordie Gronkowski Jr, he is an equal partner in the foundation, but obviously Rob name is the key to it's success. 

I am not belittling the donation, I think it's great that they are donating to the area.  It's just misleading that it's from Rob alone.  So, thank you to all the Gronk brothers.

And the title was pulled from another article, i believe the OP wanted to put that in there to get it going quickly.  Which it did, well done!

That’s fair enough. It does not come directly from Gronk’s pocket, but it does come from his time and efforts, and his name. You or I could start a foundation and nobody is showing up at our golf tournaments. I could give up a rare weekend off, and it wouldn’t raise any money. I’m sure the brothers get some credit for the time spent making it happen. 

Regardless, I can’t see having a negative reaction to such a positive act.If you think “massive” was a mischaracterization, that’s not Gronk’s fault. If you think it was “too little”, maybe you should give more.  

Happy for the hospital and grateful for Gronk's generous donation, but why the publicity? Why the need to make sure we all know about it? I've known countless pro athletes over the years that donate time, money, and other resources to charitable causes routinely and most don't need any public recognition for it. Indeed, most don't want it. Flame me all you want, but there's a hint of manipulation here. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I'd rather Gronk was beaten with a titanium elbow brace instead. 

If Tre White was wearing it & the proceeds went to Children’s Hospital, they’d raise a lot more money than 50K. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Props to Gronk, who I’ve been loving on for a few years now over how frequently he praises WNY.

Leave it to miserable people to find something wrong with a 50k donation to a charitable cause. 

Welcome to TBD!

• Haha (+1) 1

I used to like Gronk. Ive even defended him to people at the bar, etc. 

He pulled a garbage move that changed the way I see him. Now he’s a garbage person imo. Fair? I don’t know, more so I don’t care. 

I’m sure he doesn’t care how I feel about him so why should I spend any amount of time thinking about how I feel about him? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I used to like Gronk. Ive even defended him to people at the bar, etc. 

He pulled a garbage move that changed the way I see him. Now he’s a garbage person imo. Fair? I don’t know, more so I don’t care. 

I’m sure he doesn’t care how I feel about him so why should I spend any amount of time thinking about how I feel about him? 

But you had to post and get it out?

• Haha (+1) 1