Rob Gronkowski makes massive donation to Buffalo children's hospital

The hit was so egregious that I can't just write it off as an isolated incident where he simply lost his cool.  You usually just push somebody or throw a punch when frustrated.  He took multiple steps and put his full body weight on the back of his neck.  He could've ended White's career and possibly screwed him up for life with a brain stem injury.   Even the apology after the game rubbed me the wrong way as he talked more about the officials not calling anything on White all game as if the hit was justified.

Having said that, the $50k donation is greatly appreciated and I hope he continues to give to various charities in the Buffalo area.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The hit was so egregious that I can't just write it off as an isolated incident where he simply lost his cool.  You usually just push somebody or throw a punch when frustrated.  He took multiple steps and put his full body weight on the back of his neck.  He could've ended White's career and possibly screwed him up for life with a brain stem injury.   Even the apology after the game rubbed me the wrong way as he talked more about the officials not calling anything on White all game as if the hit was justified.

Having said that, the $50k donation is greatly appreciated and I hope he continues to give to various charities in the Buffalo area.

He played in 131 games.  He had one dirty hit.  That pretty much defines "isolated incident."

Forget about the hit on Tre White for a minute.  If fact, forget about football for a minute.

Buffalo is a special place despite taking abuse from the rest of the country.  A special thing about people from Buffalo, or people of Buffalo (for you that are natives only at heart) is that we wear the pride of our home on our sleeve for life.  Tim Russert, Chris Berman, and the people who raised about half a million dollars for the Andy Dalton Foundation – this is their “home town”.  Hell, this is Shelby Waddle’s “home town”.  Nobody expects him to be a Bills fan when playing for another team, but he never carried any loyalty to his home during his career (like Moose Johnson did for example), why try to "buy" it now?  Screw him.

Gronkowski should go back to Boston and stay there.

Nice move. 

That said, “massive” is the wrong word. His reported net worth is $15MM. That means he donated 0.3% of his net worth. 

Again, nice move on his part, but let’s say you have $100k in the bank, and $500k in your 401k, that would be like donating ~$900 to the hospital. Still a great thing, but you’re not making the news. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

It is also generous when you give publicly. $50k is $50k. 

I think he meant that giving publicly can become for show and/or image. Where as anonymously it isn’t for show usually! Hard to judge someone’s true intentions. You’re right!That 50k helps no matter the motive!

12 hours ago, The Senator said:

Yep, he’s a great dude, and this sh* t was what was RIGHT for football...

I know what he did,  but it’s football (a very rough sport), and White had been successfully holding him and roughing him all game without getting called for it (which I was happy about). He just lost his cool. Not right, I know.

9 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Trying to cripple someone is more than being in the heat of the moment. Using your logic though, OJ could argue that he was in the heat of the moment also. Your analogy really down plays how vicious and despicable Gronk was... he was borderline psychopathic criminal. Your point isn’t nearly as close as you think, which is my point. 

Oh lord. He wan’t trying to cripple anyone. This is ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I can't believe people are criticizing charity.

I'm not a fan of his, but I'm not gonna say hey why not more. 

Plenty athletes and people have donated more, many more have donated less. 

Charity to a good cause is good with me. Be it a $1 or $1,000,000.

I think they are criticizing the thread title more than the charitable donation. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

He wants to be able to come home to see family......safely. ?

I don’t hate him for being good on our evil nemesis. I also won’t hold him eternally in contempt for an egregious hit on Tre. We all make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment. This is a great gesture and will help real people. It’s not “massive” if you are in that economic circle, but I won’t diminish it is any way. Well done! 

Thanks for the $50,000 donation Gronk !!! 

BUT  it's going to cost MUCH more then $50,000 if he wants to come back home and not have to worry about getting his a$$ whooped , 

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know what he did,  but it’s football (a very rough sport), and White had been successfully holding him and roughing him all game without getting called for it (which I was happy about). He just lost his cool. Not right, I know.

Cheatriots were up 23-3 with less than 5 minutes to play in the game when Gronkowski “just lost his cool”.  He had 3 penalties of his own in the 2nd half alone.  He picks that moment to ‘lose his cool’?  Looked more like ‘roid-rage than “lost his cool”, and he should have been ejected immediately.

If you remember, he acted like a complete a**hole as he left the field, grinning, pumping his fists, taunting the crowd - then brushed off the whole thing in a post-game interview, or tried to.

I don’t think I’ll ever warm up to that ass-hat, no matter how much he gives - especially when his publicity agent stages major news event for a relatively modest donation.

He makes me sick.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don’t begrudge the gesture as ultimately every dollar going to help kids that are sick and in need of help from any source is by definition a good thing regardless of any “PR” type motivation if that’s the case—but also no question that Gronk has burned a lot of bridges with his antics on the field and that hit on White was as unbelievable as it gets, imho. I truly hope he’s coming around and is making real changes in his life as part of finally maturing/growing up, but let’s wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Nice move. 

That said, “massive” is the wrong word. His reported net worth is $15MM. That means he donated 0.3% of his net worth. 

Again, nice move on his part, but let’s say you have $100k in the bank, and $500k in your 401k, that would be like donating ~$900 to the hospital. Still a great thing, but you’re not making the news. 

Gronk made a significant donation to a western NY medical facility. Instead of being dismissive one should be appreciative of it. Now you and others are describing it as a trivial contribution. What you don't consider and mention is that this contribution isn't the only contribution he makes to charities. You don't think that the focus of his charitable contributions is focused where he has played for a long time?  Gronk has been involved in a number of charitable events for a variety of causes. 

I find the criticizing of this player for the amount of his contribution (which I consider to be generous) to be small-minded, ungracious and churlish.  

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good call Augie.....probably some here who put ten bucks in the Sunday collection basket and take change......oh well...................

oh, thats not how it's supposed to work? ?

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

It’s a start.

Agreed hes got a long way to go in my book. Still hate him for his dirty it on White and his antics at a Buffalo wedding where he wore a buffalo Bills hat while being introduce at a wedding party then threw it on the ground and stepped on it. Pompous moron

11 hours ago, Augie said:

PLEASE, let us not denigrate a significant donation to a great cause.  Is it what I would classify as “massive”? No, of course not. My wife lives in the world of large foundations and endowments. Nothing massive about this for someone of that wealth. But that takes ZERO away from what actually happened here. A guy who is leaving the only significant job he has ever  known has just committed a large sum of money to a very good cause. I don’t care if it was $50, I welcome his contribution. Don’t lessen it because he has more money than most of us. 

Who funded the Foundation? Was it your money? I’ll bet it was mostly money Gronk elected to funnel that way. Good for the hospital indeed, and I won’t discount his contribution in any way. 

I think most of us are denigrating the clickbait headline.