The Athletic - $24 for 1 year - today only

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Were you still an active subscriber when you took advantage of that deal?

I was an active subscriber at that time. Looking back it was the Black Friday gift sale. So it may have been going through the "gift subscription" method you mentioned, but the gift was discounted to $29.99 for a year. 

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Are you being facetious? $2 a month is too much? 

Most people happily spend $24 on one meal without blinking.

Yep.     Get paid through ads like everyone else          

I’m all set on the fill out your credit card here for renewal scams.   

25 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

To each their own, I guess

Personally, I'm fine with paying less in one year than I pay on one bar tab to support journalism and have access to quality content and great articles. I'd also rather pay $2 a month than have to close sixteen popups and videos any time I want an article.

But again, to each their own.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

To each their own, I guess

Personally, I'm fine with paying less in one year than I pay on one bar tab to support journalism and have access to quality content and great articles. I'd also rather pay $2 a month than have to close sixteen popups and videos any time I want an article.

But again, to each their own.

Theodore just likes to be cantankerous.  It's his most endearing quality.

19 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Just signed up. Does anyone know if I can cancel now and continue my 1 year of access without the risk of auto renewal?  I don’t want to forget to cancel before getting hit with $60 charge. 

go to your account and remove the payment information.

which you should actually do anyways...

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, CBD said:

I was an active subscriber at that time. Looking back it was the Black Friday gift sale. So it may have been going through the "gift subscription" method you mentioned, but the gift was discounted to $29.99 for a year. 

Huh.  I wonder if they’ve changed their policy since then? 

The gift feature gives you 20% off a 1yr subscription, which comes out to $47.99, so I don’t think it was that unless you got an added student discount on top of that. 

Have any other athletic subscribers here been able to renew at a discounted rate during one of their sales? 

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

As someone who didn't grow up with the internet, this is crazy to read.

Yeah. It’s definitely worth paying for the internet. Did you have cable tv at least?

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I prefer having a site or two like the Athletic to aggregate the top local writers. The site has a good subscriber base and can afford to pay more, and it doesn't require the volume of articles that ad-driven content does, so there are a lot of focus pieces that go into great depth on a topic. If you follow multiple sports, it's not that hard to justify the cost IMO. 

I just signed up - articles look good/well written.

Its a little less in Canadian $$, that’s a nice change.  We pay more for almost everything usually.

Thanks for the heads up - I’ve been thinking of joining and glad I just did.  Looks good.

6 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

I just signed up - articles look good/well written.

Its a little less in Canadian $$, that’s a nice change.  We pay more for almost everything usually.

Thanks for the heads up - I’ve been thinking of joining and glad I just did.  Looks good.

How does it feel to know you’re breaking the local law?....like your sympathizers @Cripple Creek and @Gugny

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The gift feature gives you 20% off a 1yr subscription, which comes out to $47.99, so I don’t think it was that unless you got an added student discount on top of that. 

No, i think they were offering additional discount for Black Friday

• 2 weeks later...