The Athletic - $24 for 1 year - today only

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

Just signed up. Does anyone know if I can cancel now and continue my 1 year of access without the risk of auto renewal?  I don’t want to forget to cancel before getting hit with $60 charge. 

That’s my worst fear about these things! I already know America’s Test Kitchen was not something I want to renew, and I have a tab up on my iPad with some number to call and cancel for next year.....after a month or so. I have weak moments.....I’m about to re-up for MasterClass though. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s my worst fear about these things! I already know America’s Test Kitchen was not something I want to renew, and I have a tab up on my iPad with some number to call and cancel for next year.....after a month or so. I have weak moments.....I’m about to re-up for MasterClass though. 

Master Class is pretty awesome

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Master Class is pretty awesome

I loved it for all the cooking classes (Thomas Keller, especially), then slowed down. They didn’t cancel me until I got hooked on the Penn & Teller sessions. Half way through I want to re-up for that, but also want to try the writing classes. It’s great if you have time on your hands and interests that line up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I signed up last summer and have been glad I did... not just for Bills coverage ( I really like Fairburn's stories), but also they have pretty good Fantasy football coverage if you are into it.  Jake Ciely and other writers provide great content throughout the season.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I loved it for all the cooking classes (Thomas Keller, especially), then slowed down. They didn’t cancel me until I got hooked on the Penn & Teller sessions. Half way through I want to re-up for that, but also want to try the writing classes. It’s great if you have time on your hands and interests that line up. 

Ha same here!  But also enjoyed the Steph Curry class and Negreanu class too, but cooking ones were my fave.  

Watch the new Netflix show “The Chef Show” and also “Salt, Fat, Heat, Acid” -  both are excellent if like cooking content

Edited by Alphadawg7

11 hours ago, mead107 said:

You allsign up and come back and tell us everything 

thanks

I signed up.  I enjoy the content.  Seems well worth the $24 and likely worth the $60.  Id day it depends on your love of sports.  I’m all sports all day everyday so it’s great for me.  If you only care about reading about the local teams, it may not be worth it.  If you are homeless, it may not be worth it.

Regarding the $60, they run specials frequently. No one should ever  pay the $60. 

They  have a student discount for those with .edu email addresses. 

I've subscribed for two years at separate times. Each time paid only $29.99. Once due to the student discount, once from an Xmas promotion that also came with a free tshirt. 

I've heard Athletic writers state on podcasts that if anyone ever needs a promo code, just ask. Reaching out via twitter etc may be beneficial. Or just wait until they advertise it. Typically when they add new writers that writer will advertise a 40% off deal, new writers (and cities) are being added often. 

Edited by CBD

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

.  If you only care about reading about the local teams, it may not be worth it.  If you are homeless, it may not be worth it.

I plan on moving in with Gugny so, maybe he will get it for me ?????

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Doesn't this thread kind of violate the "No advertising" rule here at TBD?

Don't want to be a snitch, but...carry on.

It appears to me that you actually did want to be a snitch.

Nice work, Henry Hill.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Way to be on top of things. You ratted the OP out on day 2 of a one day offer.

I didn't rat anyone out. Didn't report anything....until now. Have a nice vacation!!

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It appears to me that you actually did want to be a snitch.

Nice work, Henry Hill.

And you can join CC on an extended break. Buh bye!!

• Sad 1

Didn't know about the "no advertising" rule....but duly noted.

Was just trying to help out fellow Bills fans as there are many posts referencing The Athletic articles.  And for those like me that didn't have a sub, thought this was a good way to try it out.

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CBD said:

Regarding the $60, they run specials frequently. No one should ever  pay the $60. 

They  have a student discount for those with .edu email addresses. 

I've subscribed for two years at separate times. Each time paid only $29.99. Once due to the student discount, once from an Xmas promotion that also came with a free tshirt. 

I've heard Athletic writers state on podcasts that if anyone ever needs a promo code, just ask. Reaching out via twitter etc may be beneficial. Or just wait until they advertise it. Typically when they add new writers that writer will advertise a 40% off deal, new writers (and cities) are being added often. 

Were you still an active subscriber when you took advantage of that deal?

i tried to take advantage of a deal just recently and they told me it was only for new members (I bitched at them for it, too. Said that it did not say it was for new members anywhere in the tweet and that I’m not sure it’s a good idea to use the cable TV company business practice of treating new customers better than existing ones).

They apologized and said you can send yourself a gift subscription at any time (1 year 20% off, 2 years 33% off), but those deals were only for new members.

I’m debating whether I should let my subscription run out and then renew when a deal comes along, or if I should just do the gift thing. I’m definitely going to keep subscribing, but I just hate paying more than I have to, especially when you see those great deal prices offered all the time. It’s not that I can’t afford it. It’s just a principal thing. 

18 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Just signed up. Does anyone know if I can cancel now and continue my 1 year of access without the risk of auto renewal?  I don’t want to forget to cancel before getting hit with $60 charge. 

Yes, you can. You will still have access until your subscription expires. I cancelled my auto-renew. 

• Like (+1) 1