The Athletic - $24 for 1 year - today only

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

We don't do Domino's or Little Caesar's here.

There are many, many independent pizza restaurants and chains in Northern Virginia.  Have not ate at a chain pizza place since travelling.

Mama Mia Pizza and Vocelli Pizza less than a mile from home. There is a Chicago pizza place less than 2 and a Greek place which sells pizza if that is your thing. There are so many Paisano's boxes at work they should negotiate a group discount.

8 minutes ago, QCity said:

I've had it for over a year and it's probably not worth it's $120 annual sub fee.

But $24? Yeah, sure. You can judge for yourself at a cheap price.

Same. I’ve been a subscriber for about a year also. Not enough new content.  I am cancelling soon.  

Most of the the writers are just regurgitated from free local outlets. 

Personally not worth the $24 a year...

Signed up and read three articles: Josh Allen, The Athletics 1 yrs anniversary, and Frank Reich's journey.

All excellently written, and if I don't read another piece, I will still not be unsatisfied. 

Glad this opportunity came. Worth the price of admission, to me. WTF else am I gonna read? Mike F'n Florio?

First time I've ever signed up to pay for reading content and it's totally worth it. Long-form actual journalism that involves research and interviews isn't around much anymore.  

Edited by ndirish1978

I normally don't sign up for pay for news, but was intrigued enough to give it a try for $24. So far I like it. If I get one good article a month it is worth it for me. The renewal rate shows at $59.99 per year. I will decide next year if it is worth it.

5 hours ago, Jukester said:

To celebrate their 1 year Buffalo anniversary.  Not sure if this link will work for all but try it out.

Link

Thanks dude!  I just nabbed it too, been wanting to check it out.  Not sure its worth the money with so much content on Bleacher Report and other free sites...but for $24 it was worth sampling.  I do hear great things about it though, so looking forward to it.  

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

Sorry if this offends the Internet content should be free crowd...

That crowd never made sense to me...its not free to generate the content, why should it always be free to consume it?  UGC (User Generated Content) should be free...but companies hiring writers, traveling to cover stories, spending time and resources on research, etc etc...all takes money...and if no one is paying for it, there is no money to create it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

It’s well worth the money if you like reading about sports. They’ve had some great Bills/Sabres stories too, so if you sign up make you to take the time and go through some of the old Bills/Sabres content. 

I would also recommend picking more than the Bills/Sabres as your teams. You’ll see a lot more new content daily if you do. 

For a while I had the Bills/Sabres/NHL/NFL as “my teams” and I kept wondering why I didn’t see some of these stories written about other teams that people were sharing. Well I realized that I’d only see them if I clicked on that specific team’s name. They don’t automatically show up in your personal feed. 

So now I picked every NFL and NHL team to follow and there is an insane amount of new content to sift through every day. 

40 minutes ago, FTLBillsfan said:

I normally don't sign up for pay for news, but was intrigued enough to give it a try for $24. So far I like it. If I get one good article a month it is worth it for me. The renewal rate shows at $59.99 per year. I will decide next year if it is worth it.

Just FYI If you like it, instead of paying full price you can send yourself a gift subscription to get a discount (an athletic employee informed me of this). One year is 20% off. 2 years is 33% off. 

Also, for everyone you refer you get a $10 amazon gift card and they get 15% off the subscription cost. 

Edited by BillsFan4

6 hours ago, QCity said:

I've had it for over a year and it's probably not worth it's $120 annual sub fee.

But $24? Yeah, sure. You can judge for yourself at a cheap price.

Exactly. Worth $2 a month to try it out.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks dude!  I just nabbed it too, been wanting to check it out.  Not sure its worth the money with so much content on Bleacher Report and other free sites...but for $24 it was worth sampling.  I do hear great things about it though, so looking forward to it.  

That crowd never made sense to me...its not free to generate the content, why should it always be free to consume it?  UGC (User Generated Content) should be free...but companies hiring writers, traveling to cover stories, spending time and resources on research, etc etc...all takes money...and if no one is paying for it, there is no money to create it.  

Money is made by advertising. That’s the whole point; to reach as many people as possible. 

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

13 minutes ago, Chill said:

Money is made by advertising. That’s the whole point; to reach as many people as possible. 

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

Yet people complain about ads too.  Ya know some people prefer to pay for better content and no ads instead of free content with ads rammed down your throat.  

Also, internet CPM ad rates are terrible revenue and need massive volume just for peanuts.  Quality costs money, and clicks aren’t always going to get you there.

Edited by Alphadawg7