What's the first one of these that you used?

My first PC...

F390669A-580C-42BC-978A-5B0CAC405F8E.jpeg

JK - ENIAC predates me by a few years.  I think the first real computer I used (other than an Atari Pong game) was a DEC PDP-8 or PDP-11.

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) was a fairly big player in both the business and scientific worlds - I’m surprised they got no mention in that article.

The first actual PC I used was the IBM 5120.

Edited by The Senator

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Who are you?  Mannix?

My first tablet was granite.

Phone was about the same price as smartphones today..maybe $800? another $500 install. But holy moley a phone call was expensive. Seem to remember $4.00 for a 411 call, and proly close to $.50 a minute? And man, if you used that thing when you were out out of town and roaming...it was like $4.00 /minute.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Phone was about the same price as smartphones today..maybe $800? another $500 install. But holy moley a phone call was expensive. Seem to remember $4.00 for a 411 call, and proly close to $.50 a minute? And man, if you used that thing when you were out out of town and roaming...it was like $4.00 /minute.

And you’re not adjusting for inflation I am guessing.

i was born in 77, so the apple ll was out, but i the first computer in the house that i remember was the apple ll e.  i'm not sure what the difference was, but i thought that ***** was the best.

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My first cell phone was a bag phone with a handset like in your picture. Got it around 1993. I do remember calls were free after 9pm. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

My first cell phone was a bag phone with a handset like in your picture. Got it around 1993. I do remember calls were free after 9pm. 

yep, got the bag phone next. Thing took up the entire basket of the golf cart!

The first computer I used was a DEC PDP-11 mainframe for a programming class in my freshman year of college. One central computer with 96 "dumb" terminals for users. We also had access to a computer room with a couple of Trash-80 Color Computers; my friend had a Space Invaders game on cassette.

The first PC I bought was a 16 MHz 286 (don't remember the brand) with a whopping 1 MB of RAM, a 40 MB hard drive, and a 3.5" floppy drive. It ran DOS 3.3.