Happy Birthday Bruce Smith

Crazy how silly he makes a few of those left tackles look. 61 for the Jets barely gets a hand on him. 74 for the Pats was frustrated as hell. The one play where he's unblocked cracks me up. He kinda slows up for half a tick like, "Uh, seriously? No one's blocking me?" before making the sack. The speed and the bend off the edge he had was crazy.

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

The speed and the bend off the edge he had was crazy.

I remember Kent Hull was asked what made Bruce so special. He said Bruce was the only human being he ever saw who could run full speed while at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Any body else tries that and they fall down, but Bruce would just turn the corner.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ocemur said:

I remember Kent Hull was asked what made Bruce so special. He said Bruce was the only human being he ever saw who could run full speed while at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Any body else tries that and they fall down, but Bruce would just turn the corner.

Man, that's awesome. Dude was a freak for sure. I saw this video linked on the Bills subreddit and commented there about how I feel like Hughes probably watches a lot of Bruce film. Hughes can bend pretty good and he's always chopping for the ball when he closes in on a QB, much like Bruce. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ran into Bruce back in the day at Crawdaddy's. I was wearing a pair of the Bruce Smith sneakers(Bad Things, man) and he noticed me wearing them. He came up to me, shook my hand, said thank you and bought me a drink. True story.

• Like (+1) 3