Sign in to follow this  
SlimShady'sGhost

Updating the Buffalo Bills’ salary-cap space now that everyone is under contract

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Isn't the point of the NFL to win football games, most notably playoff games, not accumulating tons of cap space by filling the roster with rookie contract guys and bottom feeder veterans?  Talent is expensive in the NFL, and teams that don't identify and manage talent very well don't make the playoffs very often.  When the Bills start making the playoffs and winning playoff games with some regularity, THEN we can discuss whether or not their cap management is "good", "decent" or "a train wreck waiting to happen".

Right now, all this gushing about how "good" their cap management is premature.

So, fewer "bottom feeder veterans," and more "bright shiny toys." Got it.

(definitely high...)

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Isn't the point of the NFL to win football games, most notably playoff games, not accumulating tons of cap space by filling the roster with rookie contract guys and bottom feeder veterans?  Talent is expensive in the NFL, and teams that don't identify and manage talent very well don't make the playoffs very often.  When the Bills start making the playoffs and winning playoff games with some regularity, THEN we can discuss whether or not their cap management is "good", "decent" or "a train wreck waiting to happen".

The Patriots break the bank all the time dont they.

Posted (edited)

...last year was a painfully tight year relative to "cap purge" of driftwood.....at some point, you need to get rid of the "junk" and McBeane had to gonads to do it despite the "...Fire McBeane...Fire McDermottt.....our clueless owner"  yaps from our TBD posting pundnuts..think we're in pretty damn good shape now and going forward.....so I'll hang up and wait for the "mea culpas".......BEST expectation is ...."crickets"....stay tuned....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Two objectively AND subjectively solid posts in a row. 

Multiple opportunities to defecate on the Bills roster/depth and you kept it classy and forward-leaning. Moreover, I completely agree with your points.

I'll bet you're really a savvy and funny guy "in real life," despite your persona here (and on the BBMB before that). I'll bet most "realist"/ toxic Buffalo fans were once hopeful and energetic supporters. Which disastrous decision or on-field debacle was most damaging for you? (I ask sincerely.) 

I've been hurt, too.

Just try to take a realistic look at the team. 

I think a lot of Bills fans give too much benefit of the doubt with new regimes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

It is premature...they do have to prove it

But

I have no doubt that you will find the half empty glass even if they do

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It is premature...they do have to prove it

But

I have no doubt that you will find the half empty glass even if they do

Yep.  When they spend then it's immediately the wrong guy to bring in.

Most likely going to roll that over a nice chunk that will make next off-season one where they can splurge a bit and keep their own young players. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Most likely going to roll that over a nice chunk that will make next off-season one where they can splurge a bit and keep their own young players. 

In a perfect world it is used on our own home grown players because they have shown they deserve it.....especially at QB (I am not suggesting giving Allen a contract yet even if we could....only that drafting well ends up going on your own players)

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

The point is to relax a little and enjoy the game.  

“When you plant seeds in the garden, you don’t dig them up every day to see if they have sprouted yet. You simply water them and clear away the weeds; you know that the seeds will grow in time. Similarly, just do your daily practice and cultivate a kind heart. Abandon impatience and instead be content creating the causes for goodness; the results will come when they’re ready.”

― Bhikshuni Thubten Chodron

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In a perfect world it is used on our own home grown players because they have shown they deserve it.....especially at QB (I am not suggesting giving Allen a contract yet even if we could....only that drafting well ends up going on your own players)

Totally agree.  It also helps to have consistency with scheme and coaches who can develop players.  The Wrex hire really boned us in those regards. 

10 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

The point is to relax a little and enjoy the game.  

“When you plant seeds in the garden, you don’t dig them up every day to see if they have sprouted yet. You simply water them and clear away the weeds; you know that the seeds will grow in time. Similarly, just do your daily practice and cultivate a kind heart. Abandon impatience and instead be content creating the causes for goodness; the results will come when they’re ready. Now, go out there and kill 'em”

― Bhikshuni Vince Lombardi

Fixed it for you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just try to take a realistic look at the team. 

I think a lot of Bills fans give too much benefit of the doubt with new regimes.

Totally agree. I'm guilty of it myself. But then again, since the 2012/Mario Williams off-season, I've enjoyed some limited but unique access to internal goings-on with players, coaches, executives, etc., which encourages a more nuanced and subjective perspective on the team; sometimes positively and sometimes negatively. In large part, though, these are often impressive people who inspire confidence in those around them (results notwithstanding). 

I'll ask again because I'm genuinely interested: IF you were once less skeptical as a Bills fan, when i n the last 25+ years did you finally reach your tipping point with the team? 

18 hours ago, Magox said:

Very strong likelihood that Lawson and McCoy arent here for 2020.  That frees up more room.

Any type of 2020 free agent is not counted in the projected 2020 cap, and those two will both be UFAs.  

Btw, @ShadyBillsFan the Knox contract is up on Spotrac now.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...last year was a painfully tight year relative to "cap purge" of driftwood.....at some point, you need to get rid of the "junk" and McBeane had to gonads to do it despite the "...Fire McBeane...Fire McDermottt.....our clueless owner"  yaps from our TBD posting pundnuts..think we're in pretty damn good shape now and going forward.....so I'll hang up and wait for the "mea culpas".......BEST expectation is ...."crickets"....stay tuned....

Yes sir.  Money is in good shape and let's wait to see who makes the team and hopefully have a relatively injury free camp/preseason.

Beane has all kinds of options and let's see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

someone mentioned Dead Cap?

Charles Clay TE $4,500,000
A.J. McCarron QB $2,000,000
Chris Ivory RB $750,000
Andre Holmes WR $550,000
Adolphus Washington DT $188,574
Nathan Peterman QB $119,748
Derek Anderson QB $90,000
Tanner Vallejo OLB $76,898
Austin Proehl WR $51,803
Jake Fisher TE $15,000