Sign in to follow this  
SlimShady'sGhost

Updating the Buffalo Bills’ salary-cap space now that everyone is under contract

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Serious question: what's your problem with Hauschka?

What? I said Hauschka was part of the good, not a problem. He was injured last year by Jets cheap shot and not the same since. We will see if he comes back OK or not, very soon.

My point is by the time Bills get good he could very well be aged out.

2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I THINK these numbers are from THIS year after sacrificing last year. However, keep your narrative.

I will. Thanks.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

as long as they meet the leagues 90% spending allowance,  whats left over gets rolled over.  

There is no guarantee they will roll it over.  Other players on roster could see what Hughes did and offer to extend as well this year.

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Thanks Shady.

According to Spotrac, the Bills have approximately $143M committed to 58 player contracts in 2020.  Assuming that the cap rises to ~$200M, and the Bills end up rolling over $15M of their $22M in cap space from 2019, that would place Buffalo's team cap limit at $215M, leaving them $72M in cap space for 2020. Knock off $10M each for 2020 rookies and 2020 in-season management, and you're looking at $52M in contracts that they can dole out in FA where the group of pass rushers and WRs looks to be very, very good.

Just how very, very good does the group of pass rushers and WR's look in 2020?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

The cap goes up between 10 and 12 million every year, which easily takes care of draft picks.  As long as a team can ensure that they have 30 million or so going into the offseason, they can almost always afford one huge extension for their own and one solid FA contract.

And that's without paying any attention to adjusting current deals.

Im talking about guys that will be becoming free agents on our team.  12 mil covers the Rookies.  Thats great.  Twelve mil wont cover some vets for a year.  Some of the guys we signed to short term deals may prove worth while and we may need to extend them.  Now it is inevitable that some will not work out.  If we have a hole then fill it outside.  Other than that lets worry about our own.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

31 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im talking about guys that will be becoming free agents on our team.  12 mil covers the Rookies.  Thats great.  Twelve mil wont cover some vets for a year.  Some of the guys we signed to short term deals may prove worth while and we may need to extend them.  Now it is inevitable that some will not work out.  If we have a hole then fill it outside.  Other than that lets worry about our own.

Who are you worried about re-signing in the next 2 years?

6 hours ago, eball said:

No, I'm pretty certain your math is off because the Lotulelei contract is absurd and completely destroys the Bills' cap.

Sadly we are stuck with that contract until after 2020. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Remember that the cash floor is not calculated until the end of the 2020 season.

I see no problem with the Bills achieving that.

Also it is cash outlays that have to be at 90% of the current league cap.  Signing bonuses for premium free agents or extensions help to hit that minimum.  And it’s calculated on a four year moving average.  We will be fine. 

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There is no guarantee they will roll it over.  Other players on roster could see what Hughes did and offer to extend as well this year.

The Bills rolling over the excess cap is as safe of a bet as there is. Failing to make the roll over request would make them the first team to ever not do it (since the league started allowing it).

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

3 more years before Allen destroys the Bills cap with his 40milliion/yr contract.

Lets hope so

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They keep this up they can sign the guys they draft instead of previous regimes just letting them go.

Keep drafting well and you don't ever have to worry about cap hell again.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Who are you worried about re-signing in the next 2 years?

Extensions my friend.  Hopefully one or two of the cheaper FA OL prove to do very well.  Zay Jones if he continues upward.  Suppose Foster really takes off.  Big Dollar FAs dont build Championship.  Resigning your own and drafting well does.  Our typical societal way.  "We have money, lets spend it." If it makes sense do it.  But I dont see big money on anything other than a pass rusher but hopefully one of our guys pans out.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Beane had to sacrifice the entire 2018 year for this. Most GMs don’t have that luxury. 

Last year was bad. Let’s hope for improvement. 🤞

Edited by Chill
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Just how very, very good does the group of pass rushers and WR's look in 2020?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Maybe we need another WR1 after this year, but let's see how this group works out.

I do think we'll need a DE/edge since I don't believe the position was adequately addressed this off season; I'm not holding my breath on Murphy and Lawson still has more to show on his pass rushing ability.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills rolling over the excess cap is as safe of a bet as there is. Failing to make the roll over request would make them the first team to ever not do it (since the league started allowing it).

Of course they will roll over what is left but teams continue to whittle it down when they sign new players.   If someone the Bills want is cut from another team or is traded for and signed they will be cutting down cap. Same thing if they sign a player to extension like Hughes.

9 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Can't say enough good things about Beane.

Me either!  We just need to see how the free agent additions and the 2019 draftees play.  If they work out, maybe some of the naysayers will come around.

Based on some of Beane's comments from earlier in the year, I expect him to concentrate 2020 spending on contract extensions to retain key talent already on the team.  He has made it clear that building through the draft and retaining talent is how he wants to build the team.  I don't expect another free agent off season like we had this year.  It will probably be filling selective needs or upgrades.  It's nice to have cap flexibility and ownership willing to spend when required.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I can think of only one player the Bills need to worry about resigning to top $$$ in the near future and that's Tre White.... outside of that there is literally no one that's proven their worth to be worried about paying. 

Perhaps Dawkins, Zay and even Shaq have have big years and force the Bills hand,

but until they do "resigning your own" doesn't really work when none are currently worth it.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Extensions my friend.  Hopefully one or two of the cheaper FA OL prove to do very well.  Zay Jones if he continues upward.  Suppose Foster really takes off.  Big Dollar FAs dont build Championship.  Resigning your own and drafting well does.  Our typical societal way.  "We have money, lets spend it." If it makes sense do it.  But I dont see big money on anything other than a pass rusher but hopefully one of our guys pans out.

Along with a pretty damn good coach in McVay and a franchise QB, the Rams built a Super Bowl caliber team with some solid FA pick ups and trades.

Truth is you need to hit on FAs AND the draft. Can't just rely on the draft and then resigning your own.

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm wondering the same thing.  Maybe we need another WR1 after this year, but let's see how this group works out.

I do think we'll need a DE/edge since I don't believe the position was adequately addressed this off season; I'm not holding my breath on Murphy and Lawson still has more to show on his pass rushing ability.

Even if the WR group looks OK, I can't fathom why anyone would be upset if the Bills spent $$$ on a big time FA WR next offseason.

12 hours ago, bourbonboy said:

Ummm....don't forget that 34 of the 90 guys on the team now will be free agents next year. Sure, some will not be among the final 53, but many will. Restricted free agents in 2020 include Levi Wallace and Robert Foster, while UFA's include Jordan Phillips, Spencer Long, Lorax, Kevin Johnson, Hauschka, Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain, and LaAdrian Waddle, among others. And key players to try and lock-up before their 2020 contract year include Tre White, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer, Dion Dawkins and maybe Zay Jones.

Given the need to extend/re-sign some of the above, and fill the shoes of those leaving with comparable talent, smart spending remains the order of the day. We are in decent shape, but over the top spending would land us right back where we were, and I don't see any way that this regime will let that happen.

Exactly!

What happens when they trade for Clowney?

😃

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Even if the WR group looks OK, I can't fathom why anyone would be upset if the Bills spent $$$ on a big time FA WR next offseason.

Two objectively AND subjectively solid posts in a row. 

Multiple opportunities to defecate on the Bills roster/depth and you kept it classy and forward-leaning. Moreover, I completely agree with your points.

I'll bet you're really a savvy and funny guy "in real life," despite your persona here (and on the BBMB before that). I'll bet most "realist"/ toxic Buffalo fans were once hopeful and energetic supporters. Which disastrous decision or on-field debacle was most damaging for you? (I ask sincerely.) 

I've been hurt, too.

Managing the cap. Ralph/Pegula is cheap. Any other 3 word cliches?

21 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

So THIS is what professional and responsible cap management looks like?!?

yes it is.  no chasing shiny objects (players or coaches), build through the draft, have courage and get a little lucky.   McBeanes know what they are doing.  Now injuries could trash it all , but so far , so good

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I can think of only one player the Bills need to worry about resigning to top $$$ in the near future and that's Tre White.... outside of that there is literally no one that's proven their worth to be worried about paying. 

Perhaps Dawkins, Zay and even Shaq have have big years and force the Bills hand,

but until they do "resigning your own" doesn't really work when none are currently worth it.

Along with a pretty damn good coach in McVay and a franchise QB, the Rams built a Super Bowl caliber team with some solid FA pick ups and trades.

Truth is you need to hit on FAs AND the draft. Can't just rely on the draft and then resigning your own.

If it makes sense absolutely.  But lets pick and choose where and who we sign very carefully.  We also dont know what the Rams cap situation will look like when they have to sign their primary contributors which they drafted mostly and they signed a few guys to reasonable contracts and traded for guys before they were FAs which made it so they didnt have to break the bank.

Also Poyer and Hyde should be extended before their deals run out as well as Milano.  We have to plan for these things ahead of time and its cheaper in the long run to extend guys early.

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

there are numerous scenarios that could happen.   too many to want to get into

What I had said in the past -  (to be "simplistic")

Some $ is there for any late June/July/Aug FA cap cuts that may be helpful to Buffalo.

Some $ is saved for "emergencies" and

the remaining $ is rolled over.  

I'd be happy if they extended some other contracts too.  There's talent I'd like to see remain in Buffalo

If you look at the contracts for a lot of the FAs they signed this offseason they are short term deals, if I recall correctly.  Makes a lot of sense; see which guys perform and then  extend them, let the other guys go.

I hope they are thinking about extending Poyer and Hyde.

• Like (+1) 1