Updating the Buffalo Bills’ salary-cap space now that everyone is under contract

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Thanks Shady.

According to Spotrac, the Bills have approximately $143M committed to 58 player contracts in 2020.  Assuming that the cap rises to ~$200M, and the Bills end up rolling over $15M of their $22M in cap space from 2019, that would place Buffalo's team cap limit at $215M, leaving them $72M in cap space for 2020. Knock off $10M each for 2020 rookies and 2020 in-season management, and you're looking at $52M in contracts that they can dole out in FA where the group of pass rushers and WRs looks to be very, very good.

We need to save some for the future.  We sign our own.

22 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

We need to save some for the future.  We sign our own.

The cap goes up between 10 and 12 million every year, which easily takes care of draft picks.  As long as a team can ensure that they have 30 million or so going into the offseason, they can almost always afford one huge extension for their own and one solid FA contract.

And that's without paying any attention to adjusting current deals.

2 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Serious question: what's your problem with Hauschka?

What? I said Hauschka was part of the good, not a problem. He was injured last year by Jets cheap shot and not the same since. We will see if he comes back OK or not, very soon.

My point is by the time Bills get good he could very well be aged out.

2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I THINK these numbers are from THIS year after sacrificing last year. However, keep your narrative.

I will. Thanks.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

as long as they meet the leagues 90% spending allowance,  whats left over gets rolled over.  

There is no guarantee they will roll it over.  Other players on roster could see what Hughes did and offer to extend as well this year.

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Thanks Shady.

According to Spotrac, the Bills have approximately $143M committed to 58 player contracts in 2020.  Assuming that the cap rises to ~$200M, and the Bills end up rolling over $15M of their $22M in cap space from 2019, that would place Buffalo's team cap limit at $215M, leaving them $72M in cap space for 2020. Knock off $10M each for 2020 rookies and 2020 in-season management, and you're looking at $52M in contracts that they can dole out in FA where the group of pass rushers and WRs looks to be very, very good.

Just how very, very good does the group of pass rushers and WR's look in 2020?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

The cap goes up between 10 and 12 million every year, which easily takes care of draft picks.  As long as a team can ensure that they have 30 million or so going into the offseason, they can almost always afford one huge extension for their own and one solid FA contract.

And that's without paying any attention to adjusting current deals.

Im talking about guys that will be becoming free agents on our team.  12 mil covers the Rookies.  Thats great.  Twelve mil wont cover some vets for a year.  Some of the guys we signed to short term deals may prove worth while and we may need to extend them.  Now it is inevitable that some will not work out.  If we have a hole then fill it outside.  Other than that lets worry about our own.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

31 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im talking about guys that will be becoming free agents on our team.  12 mil covers the Rookies.  Thats great.  Twelve mil wont cover some vets for a year.  Some of the guys we signed to short term deals may prove worth while and we may need to extend them.  Now it is inevitable that some will not work out.  If we have a hole then fill it outside.  Other than that lets worry about our own.

Who are you worried about re-signing in the next 2 years?

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Remember that the cash floor is not calculated until the end of the 2020 season.

I see no problem with the Bills achieving that.

Also it is cash outlays that have to be at 90% of the current league cap.  Signing bonuses for premium free agents or extensions help to hit that minimum.  And it’s calculated on a four year moving average.  We will be fine. 

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There is no guarantee they will roll it over.  Other players on roster could see what Hughes did and offer to extend as well this year.

The Bills rolling over the excess cap is as safe of a bet as there is. Failing to make the roll over request would make them the first team to ever not do it (since the league started allowing it).

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Who are you worried about re-signing in the next 2 years?

Extensions my friend.  Hopefully one or two of the cheaper FA OL prove to do very well.  Zay Jones if he continues upward.  Suppose Foster really takes off.  Big Dollar FAs dont build Championship.  Resigning your own and drafting well does.  Our typical societal way.  "We have money, lets spend it." If it makes sense do it.  But I dont see big money on anything other than a pass rusher but hopefully one of our guys pans out.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane had to sacrifice the entire 2018 year for this. Most GMs don’t have that luxury. 

Last year was bad. Let’s hope for improvement. ?

Edited by Chill
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Just how very, very good does the group of pass rushers and WR's look in 2020?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Maybe we need another WR1 after this year, but let's see how this group works out.

I do think we'll need a DE/edge since I don't believe the position was adequately addressed this off season; I'm not holding my breath on Murphy and Lawson still has more to show on his pass rushing ability.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills rolling over the excess cap is as safe of a bet as there is. Failing to make the roll over request would make them the first team to ever not do it (since the league started allowing it).

Of course they will roll over what is left but teams continue to whittle it down when they sign new players.   If someone the Bills want is cut from another team or is traded for and signed they will be cutting down cap. Same thing if they sign a player to extension like Hughes.

9 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Can't say enough good things about Beane.

Me either!  We just need to see how the free agent additions and the 2019 draftees play.  If they work out, maybe some of the naysayers will come around.

Based on some of Beane's comments from earlier in the year, I expect him to concentrate 2020 spending on contract extensions to retain key talent already on the team.  He has made it clear that building through the draft and retaining talent is how he wants to build the team.  I don't expect another free agent off season like we had this year.  It will probably be filling selective needs or upgrades.  It's nice to have cap flexibility and ownership willing to spend when required.