Updating the Buffalo Bills’ salary-cap space now that everyone is under contract

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Even if the WR group looks OK, I can't fathom why anyone would be upset if the Bills spent $$$ on a big time FA WR next offseason.

I wouldn't be upset at all if they got a big time WR in FA.  I just don't want a diva like OBJ or AB is all.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Get back to me when all this "good cap managment" results in watching the Bills still playing in mid/late January rather than those stupid teams that "chased after bright shiny toys".

I have to ask: was what the team did in FA this offseason "good cap management" or "chasing after shiny toys" in your opinion?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, bourbonboy said:

Ummm....don't forget that 34 of the 90 guys on the team now will be free agents next year. Sure, some will not be among the final 53, but many will. Restricted free agents in 2020 include Levi Wallace and Robert Foster, while UFA's include Jordan Phillips, Spencer Long, Lorax, Kevin Johnson, Hauschka, Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain, and LaAdrian Waddle, among others. And key players to try and lock-up before their 2020 contract year include Tre White, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer, Dion Dawkins and maybe Zay Jones.

Given the need to extend/re-sign some of the above, and fill the shoes of those leaving with comparable talent, smart spending remains the order of the day. We are in decent shape, but over the top spending would land us right back where we were, and I don't see any way that this regime will let that happen.

I guess this is one of the consequences of the "one year, prove it" deal. Some of these guys are going to prove it, and we may have to up some salaries to keep them.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Get back to me when all this "good cap managment" results in watching the Bills still playing in mid/late January rather than those stupid teams that "chased after bright shiny toys".

This is such a bizarre post. Putting "good cap management" in quotations implies that the cap management isn't so good. And the phrase "bright shiny toys" implies overspending for flashy players. Are you high?

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/18/2019 at 9:09 AM, thebandit27 said:

Thanks Shady.

According to Spotrac, the Bills have approximately $143M committed to 58 player contracts in 2020.  Assuming that the cap rises to ~$200M, and the Bills end up rolling over $15M of their $22M in cap space from 2019, that would place Buffalo's team cap limit at $215M, leaving them $72M in cap space for 2020. Knock off $10M each for 2020 rookies and 2020 in-season management, and you're looking at $52M in contracts that they can dole out in FA where the group of pass rushers and WRs looks to be very, very good.

I don’t think it’s by accident that DE and WR is going to be a need and Bills will have the option of addressing it in FA. Some will call it luck others will call it strategy. I believe Beane has a 5 year plan and is executing it very well.  

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Extensions for who?

Dawkins is really the first guy, but he's under contract through 2021. White's fifth year option keeps him here through 2022.

You're worried about Foster, who won't even be an ERFA until after 2020? 

Believe me, by the time those guys are eligible to sign extensions, a new CBA will be in place, which could make the cap soar even higher than the $220M it's likely to be in 2021.

About the only guy you worry about is Poyer, who is criminally underpaid.

So we signing these new guys next season to one year deals.

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think it’s by accident that DE is going to be a need and Bills will have the option of addressing it in FA. 

Perhaps...I think that the re-upping of Hughes was a huge tell.  They clearly recognize that the pass rush is going to be an issue next offseason.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

So we signing these new guys next season to one year deals.

No.  What's your point?  You're already worried that the team will have too many good players to re-sign their own in 2022?  For starters, that's a problem for another day; let's worry about having good enough personnel for that to even be a concern first.  On a more pragmatic note, you can easily shed salary as needed. Do you think that they'll keep John Brown instead of signing, say, Michael Thomas (and yes, I know he's likely to re-sign, but that's an example)?  No way.  They'd cut Brown and clear over $5M in cap room to add a new WR.  Spencer Long has a team-option that would clear $4.5M.  Think Trent Murphy sticks around if they sign Clowney?

The point is, there are plenty of ways to manipulate the cap to keep your own.  Good teams do it every year.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Of course they will roll over what is left but teams continue to whittle it down when they sign new players.   If someone the Bills want is cut from another team or is traded for and signed they will be cutting down cap. Same thing if they sign a player to extension like Hughes.

They already signed Hughes to a 2 year extension through 2021. He’ll be a 34 year old free agent after that.  I think that’ll probably be about it for him.

I am not too worried about much happening this offseason that will use up cap space.  The only big money players that have a chance to be available are Jadeveon Clowney and Trent Williams.  They’d both be worth using cap on, but neither is really being shopped at this point and I don’t see the Bills giving up what it’d take for Clowney. 

They will definitely have to make some signings next offseason - OL, RB, CB, DE, etc. - but they are in good cap shape and can do it.  It won’t be a hardship.  Here’s a look at contracts by year, including expiration:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

On 6/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, Dave Allen said:

It's never too early to start identifying players for long-term, cap-friendly deals. 

yeah, extending Foster might be smart if he continues to play well, same with Wallace.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, extending Foster might be smart if he continues to play well, same with Wallace.  

Per the CBA, you cannot extend either guy until after the completion of the 2020 league year (in March of 2021)...as a practical matter, you'd like to get them to do an extension at that time because they'd be ERFAs, and 2 full years removed from having a shot at UFA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is such a bizarre post. Putting "good cap management" in quotations implies that the cap management isn't so good. And the phrase "bright shiny toys" implies overspending for flashy players. Are you high?

Isn't the point of the NFL to win football games, most notably playoff games, not accumulating tons of cap space by filling the roster with rookie contract guys and bottom feeder veterans?  Talent is expensive in the NFL, and teams that don't identify and manage talent very well don't make the playoffs very often.  When the Bills start making the playoffs and winning playoff games with some regularity, THEN we can discuss whether or not their cap management is "good", "decent" or "a train wreck waiting to happen".

Right now, all this gushing about how "good" their cap management is premature.

8 hours ago, ToddAllan said:

Two other factors to this year's cap:

1. Players currently "below the line" of the 51 with cap hits of between $490k (Duke Williams) and $641k (Siran Neal) that have a chance to make the roster:

Virtual locks (4): Robert Foster, Levi Wallace, V. Joseph, a punter

Pretty good chance 3: S. Neal, J. Johnson, W. Teller

Could make it (3):Tommy Sweeney, D. Johnson, D. Williams

2. That means to get to 53, 4-8 players "above the line" of 51 would get cut. Possibles with cap hit (net of dead money):

Most likely to go with big $:  Bodine $2.3M, Ducasse $2.0M 

On the bubble: Waddle $1.6M, Stanford $1.3M, 

In trouble but cheap: Sirles, R. Thomas, Rice, Pitts, Murphy, Harold, Perry (between $645-735k

Also not certain: Bush $1,5M

So there could be a net pick up of $3-4 million based on cuts. 

Only $3-4 mil?!
I think Bodine and Ducasse are definite cap casualties. That's over $4M right there.
The Bills only kept them around because of their familiarity with the offense, IMO.

They won't survive camp, with all the better linemen the team signed in free agency.

This is such a great time to be a Bills fan.

It feels like 1988 all over again. lol

Very strong likelihood that Lawson and McCoy arent here for 2020.  That frees up more room.

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Isn't the point of the NFL to win football games, most notably playoff games, not accumulating tons of cap space by filling the roster with rookie contract guys and bottom feeder veterans?  Talent is expensive in the NFL, and teams that don't identify and manage talent very well don't make the playoffs very often.  When the Bills start making the playoffs and winning playoff games with some regularity, THEN we can discuss whether or not their cap management is "good", "decent" or "a train wreck waiting to happen".

So, fewer "bottom feeder veterans," and more "bright shiny toys." Got it.

(definitely high...)

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Patriots break the bank all the time dont they.

...last year was a painfully tight year relative to "cap purge" of driftwood.....at some point, you need to get rid of the "junk" and McBeane had to gonads to do it despite the "...Fire McBeane...Fire McDermottt.....our clueless owner"  yaps from our TBD posting pundnuts..think we're in pretty damn good shape now and going forward.....so I'll hang up and wait for the "mea culpas".......BEST expectation is ...."crickets"....stay tuned....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

It is premature...they do have to prove it

But

I have no doubt that you will find the half empty glass even if they do

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It is premature...they do have to prove it

But

I have no doubt that you will find the half empty glass even if they do

Yep.  When they spend then it's immediately the wrong guy to bring in.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Most likely going to roll that over a nice chunk that will make next off-season one where they can splurge a bit and keep their own young players. 

In a perfect world it is used on our own home grown players because they have shown they deserve it.....especially at QB (I am not suggesting giving Allen a contract yet even if we could....only that drafting well ends up going on your own players)

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

The point is to relax a little and enjoy the game.  

“When you plant seeds in the garden, you don’t dig them up every day to see if they have sprouted yet. You simply water them and clear away the weeds; you know that the seeds will grow in time. Similarly, just do your daily practice and cultivate a kind heart. Abandon impatience and instead be content creating the causes for goodness; the results will come when they’re ready.”

― Bhikshuni Thubten Chodron