Matt Parrino Projects The Bills 53 Man Roster

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He shows up in this video 5 times despite only being here part of the season and only having 30 targets:  That would be a real drop rate of 16.6% not 3.3%...and several of them are very bad drops.  I liked McKenzie, but honestly the "drop rate" stat is never accurate as its all subjective and never accurately tracked.  For me, the eye ball test here says it was worse than that and not good enough last year. 

This is why I feel like he needs to improve his hands if he wants to make this roster this year, these kinds of drops are not going to be tolerated by this regime.  McD and Beane have both emphasized this offseason getting guys on the filed this year who will catch the ball. 

Here are where his drops are at.  Also, there are a few other drops in this video where you can not see or hear who the WR is, but I was able to track it down using the game clock in the clips and the play by play...none were Mckenzie in those, so these are his only 5.  The others were mostly Andre Holmes or a TE where you couldn't identify the player in this video.  

0:25 - BAD drop

0:38 - BAD drop

1:24 - BAD drop

3:36 - Tough catch attempt, still hit his hands

5:10 - BAD drop

The first and last clip are the same play and I thought that was a good play by the defender. A top flight WR catches it for sure and nobody is arguing McKenzie is that but there are plenty of receivers for whom that is incomplete. There are two bad drops on that video and two tougher ones. 

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Better than... he was in the CFL? In OTAs? Better than McKenzie, or the other bubble players?

Also, not sure why this would be such a long shot? 

In my view, I think Williams has an opportunity to carve out a role on this team, assuming he fits onto special teams, which seems perfectly doable. He's an exceptionally physical WR, and blocker. He seems like he could be a natural on ST, and also an asset on multiple wide sets where downfield blocking is a necessity. Is there another WR on this team with that level, or type of physicality? Maybe John Brown, but they're not going to put him on ST, or give his too many blocking assignments, I wouldn't think. Nor Zay, for that matter.

Suffice to say, I'm a bit of a Duke fan, at this point, so my opinions are certainly tainted. But, he is definitely a guy that I feel will excel once the practices become more physical. 

I think to make it Duke has to be definitely better than the other bubble guys. I don't think this regime is desperate to have a big guy. I think the bits of Duke I have seen his route running needs work, his blocking needs work and his consistency needs work. There are whispers already that he is behind in terms of knowing the playbook too. I think he has a chance to make the team, there is one possibly two receiver jobs to shoot for...... but I don't think ties go to the big guy. That doesn't seem based on everything we see and hear to be the offense they have been installing. I think ties go to the gadget / slot guys based on what it appears Daboll wants to run. That was my point. 

Very good predictions.

Senorise over DiMarco

Ray Ray over McKenzie

Darryl Johnson over Love

Julian Stanford over Thompson

I'm thinking we need to keep Bush and another CB.  Two more cuts.  We are going to cut some talented OL, WR, TE, CB.

I am guessing Beane pulls off a trade or two before roster cutdown.  That is just too much talent to give away without any compensation whatsoever 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The first and last clip are the same play and I thought that was a good play by the defender. A top flight WR catches it for sure and nobody is arguing McKenzie is that but there are plenty of receivers for whom that is incomplete. There are two bad drops on that video and two tougher ones. 

Ha, good catch, it is...by the time I got through 5 min of it I didn't recognize it nor was it the same clip...same play, just first one was the live play and the last clip was the replay, guess they just wanted a closing quick clip lol.  

I still think the other 3 are bad drops, and the one is a tough catch.  I like Mckenzie, but 4 drops in 30 targets is still not great as that is still over 13% drop rate.  

On your other comments to someone on Duke, he ended the mini camp strong and most think he wont really start to shine until the physicality starts when the pads go on.  But I do agree, he wont just get the spot because he's a different make up, he will have to earn it and beat out the competition just like all the position battles with this regime.  But I do like his chances as I think his skills will compliment Josh nicely.  In that 5 min drop reel, you can see how badly Josh needs someone who has decent catch radius.  Anything away from the body was just getting dropped left and right last year.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ha, good catch, it is...by the time I got through 5 min of it I didn't recognize it nor was it the same clip...same play, just first one was the live play and the last clip was the replay, guess they just wanted a closing quick clip lol.  

I still think the other 3 are bad drops, and the one is a tough catch.  I like Mckenzie, but 4 drops in 30 targets is still not great as that is still over 13% drop rate.  

On your other comments to someone on Duke, he ended the mini camp strong and most think he wont really start to shine until the physicality starts when the pads go on.  But I do agree, he wont just get the spot because he's a different make up, he will have to earn it and beat out the competition just like all the position battles with this regime.  But I do like his chances as I think his skills will compliment Josh nicely.  In that 5 min drop reel, you can see how badly Josh needs someone who has decent catch radius.  Anything away from the body was just getting dropped left and right last year.  

I do think Bills fans are a bit obsessed with having a "big guy" in the receiver room. Just not sure the regime are as obsessed with it. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think Bills fans are a bit obsessed with having a "big guy" in the receiver room. Just not sure the regime are as obsessed with it. 

Im personally obsessed with having a WR who can catch the ball consistently.  Zay, Foster, McKenzie are all on that drops blooper reel way too much...John Browns catch rate isnt stellar either.  I watched Bills TE's and WR's drop many...not just a couple...but many sure Touchdowns last year, not to mention all the drive killing drops too.    

I have yet to see any WR on our roster be a guy who can go get the ball and ***** it from the air consistently.  And with a big arm and tall QB, I want to someone out there who makes the play rather than drop it or tip it to the opposing defense for a turnover.  Cole Beasley is by far the guy with the best hands on the team right now, but he's like 4 feet tall.  

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im personally obsessed with having a WR who can catch the ball consistently.  Zay, Foster, McKenzie are all on that drops blooper reel way too much...John Browns catch rate isnt stellar either.  I watched Bills TE's and WR's drop many...not just a couple...but many sure Touchdowns last year, not to mention all the drive killing drops too.    

I have yet to see any WR on our roster be a guy who can go get the ball and ***** it from the air consistently.  And with a big arm and tall QB, I want to someone out there who makes the play rather than drop it or tip it to the opposing defense for a turnover.  Cole Beasley is by far the guy with the best hands on the team right now, but he's like 4 feet tall.  

Indeed we are yet to see that guy. And if that guy emerges he will make the roster. Be he 6ft3 or 5ft8. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think we will see a 27/23 split between offense and defense.  I’d expect one more DB and one less RB for starters. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent point! You’d think if a guy wrote an article on this subject that he’d have researched that from the get go. Does anyone know what a normal roster ratio would be? How far from 25/25 do teams stray?

This is not gospel of course, as every team is different (in where their talent is allocated and what offensive and defensive schemes they run), but the article linked below at least gives a basic breakdown for a base offense/base 4-3 defense (kind of an average):

Offensive side of the football:  (24 total players on 53-man roster: 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 9 OLs, 3 TEs, 6 WRs)

Defensive side of the football: (26 total players on 53-man roster: 9 DLs, 7 LBs, 10 DBs---6 CBs, 4 S)

Special Teams: (3 total players on 53-man roster, game-day roster 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS) 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl?report=reader

I think we could probably go with 8 DL and 6 LB this year to keep an extra RB (Yeldon) and TE (Croom). So, 26 on offense, 24 on defense.

So, from this guys 53 man roster, I would

Add: Croom, Yarbrough, Stanford, Pitts, and Bush

Drop: McKenzie, Sweeney (PS), Love (PS), J. Johnson (PS), C. Thompson (PS) [Unless any of the late round rookies really show out in training camp, passing a vet, I think its practice squad for a number of them. 6th and 7th round rookies are not locks anymore, just because they were drafted]

Also on the outside looking in: S. Perry, D. Johnson (PS), E. Harold

To me, it looks like the big decisions will come with the numbers at RB, TE, and DL this year. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

McKenzie for me just needs to have better hands...

He has also had 8 fumbles (though only 3 of them were lost), over his two years in Denver and Buffalo. I assume that includes his return touches, which would make that 8 fumbles in 85 total touches (rush, rec, returns). McKenzie's value to the team last year was speed, special teams return work, and jet sweeps and slot work on the offense. I think John Brown could run the jet sweeps, Beasley and Zay take care of any slot duty, and Andre Roberts is a better return man who handles both punt and kickoff. And Foster and Brown are our speed guys. Heck even Zay is close with McKenzie (McKenzie ran a 4.42 40-yard dash at combine, Zay had a 4.45). I agree, I just don't know where McKenzie contributes this year.