Division Power Rankings: AFC East comes in last

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034009/article/nfl-division-power-rankings-nfc-north-stands-above-the-rest

Greg Rosenthal Article from NFL.Com with excerpt on AFCE being 8th of 8 divisions.  At least he mentions Bills/jets as potential playoff aspirants.

? AFC East: Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets

The home to the greatest team of the decade in any decade is often home to the least amount of competition. At least the AFC East is far more compelling because of the presence of young quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. This should be an improved division, but it comes in last in a balanced NFL because there's only one team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes. Yes, the Pats are the only AFC East team that can say missing the playoffs would truly be a letdown.

Between the Bills and Jets, however, there is the potential for a surprise playoff entrant and possibly a true division race for the first time in a long time if the Patriots finally begin to show their age.

8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034009/article/nfl-division-power-rankings-nfc-north-stands-above-the-rest

Greg Rosenthal Article from NFL.Com with excerpt on AFCE being 8th of 8 divisions.  At least he mentions Bills/jets as potential playoff aspirants.

? AFC East: Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets

The home to the greatest team of the decade in any decade is often home to the least amount of competition. At least the AFC East is far more compelling because of the presence of young quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. This should be an improved division, but it comes in last in a balanced NFL because there's only one team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes. Yes, the Pats are the only AFC East team that can say missing the playoffs would truly be a letdown.

Between the Bills and Jets, however, there is the potential for a surprise playoff entrant and possibly a true division race for the first time in a long time if the Patriots finally begin to show their age.

Okay with me.  Hoping to pick up some division wins.?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I miss the good old days of the AFC south sucking so badly...

AFC West was dog poo for years too, around the time Denver had Jake Plummer and Trent Green had to retire.  

NFC West was bad for a while too.  One year the Seahawks got to the playoffs by winning the division with a 7-9 record lol.  

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This really shouldn't be a shock to anyone

Obviously, the writer is a racist and hates Buffalo.  Let’s trash him!!! 

But basically, this division has been a joke for 15 years minus NE.  But with 3 1st round qbs, hopefully someone kills Darth Vader and the Evil Empire.  But it’s hard for any non Bills, Jets, and Fins fans to believe it right now. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I miss the good old days of the AFC south sucking so badly...

Yeah, the AFC south looks pretty good now.  The NFC West was a joke for a while. 

For several years the Patriots have been almost guaranteed to win at least four of their six division games.  There are usually a few blowouts among those victories, which means they can rest some of their starters.  That makes their path to the playoffs that much easier.

57 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought the NFC East was the worse. Philly is good , Dallas has potential , the Skins/Gmen are terrible. 

Other than the pats would it be all that out of line to say we likely have 2 bad teams and 1 that could possibly break through and be decent?

dolphins look no better than giants/skins. Jets seem unlikely to make a stride. I think we have a shot but are like a less proven Dallas. 

Unless you are putting NE as head and shoulders above philly it’s kind of “meh” to argue the NFCE as worse 

• Like (+1) 1

The ineptitude of the Jets, Dolphins and yes, our Bills gives the AFC East a bad rap....and it's well deserved.....but ..just for fun...let's realign the divisions...Cleveland in the East, NE in the AFC North with Pitt, Bal and Cincy.........the last 20 years is much different...for us and for them..... 

• Like (+1) 1

AFC North has lots of question marks.  Will Jackson get hurt as a running QB or will he develop as a passer? I think Roethlisberger is more likely than Brady to experience a sudden drop off in performance.  Steelers D has been bad for years now.  Bengals are like stagnant pond water.  

Ultimately I think it will come down to which organization and which QB - Bills, Browns, and Jets can't  handle the pressure of expectations.  The cliché answer would be the Browns.  They've added high talent but drama as well.  I could see some early season losses, injuries, or a few games with OBJ getting only a few balls thrown his way leading to a meltdown in the locker room.  There is just so much national attention on the Browns.  A few early losses and the criticisms will come quick.

To some degree, the same could be said of the Jets if Bell performs poorly out of the gate or if their is a hint of friction between him and Gase.  

As for the Bills, they have built in excuses to underperform for the first half of the season - entirely new line and WR group.  Has any offense in league history started this many new guys in one year?  That said however, their schedule is favorable and early losses in New York would put McD and Beane at the top of the list of regimes on the "Hot Seat".  

• Like (+1) 1

the problem here is .......

all the other divisions don't have to deal with NE* twice a year and by default have a "more competitive" teams within each division.

Sure there will usually be THAT team that is just horrible (like the Browns had been), or the Cardinals, or the Raiders to throw the #'s off.