Thinking of getting married? Try Halftime at Pats-Bills Game

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Easy, we're just kidding with you over your self-appointed exalted status. I do appreciate you reading my every word though.

it was taken as such..as i hope my original pst was as it was intended as a joke as well

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

For a man, marriage is generally a huge financial burden. And if you want to get out of it, it's financially fatal to most.

NYS isn't a common law state, so it's best to have a live-in GF vs. a wife. You can get out of a bad situation with a lot less financial loss. It's just common sense economics. Just don't introduce any children into the dynamic.

Now, if your goal is to raise a family, you really should get married, but you have to really think about giving your life away, because that's essentially what you're doing. Your wife and kids lives and finances will ALWAYS come before your own, that's what's expected of you as a married man in today's culture. You are perpetually in last place when married with children. Some men can live like this, many cannot.

It's much easier for women. They just need to find a man who brings in a decent salary, get pregnant, and they own his finances for 26 years, don't have to hold a job, don't have to get married, and can use the legal system to keep the father of their child away from them, AND get money from him.  That's like the best deal you can get in modern western culture when it comes to free money.

Wish you would have posted this 29 years ago , ( it's too late for me ) but to all you singles out there READ THIS ^^^^

12 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I can't imagine this works well unless the wife is as big as, or a bigger football fan than the husband. Anyone pushing this on some poor girl who wanted a nice quiet ceremony is dooming the relationship before it starts.

Agreed. Both parties have to be on board with proposals, ceremony, reception. Compromises of course, but if I'd proposed to my wife during a TV timeout at a game, she would have said yes, but wouldnt have been happy about it

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Agreed. Both parties have to be on board with proposals, ceremony, reception. Compromises of course, but if I'd proposed to my wife during a TV timeout at a game, she would have said yes, but wouldnt have been happy about it

You could just use that same short leash you were talking about in another thread, just keep yours on a choke chain ? That should keep her in check hoss

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

For a man, marriage is generally a huge financial burden. And if you want to get out of it, it's financially fatal to most.

NYS isn't a common law state, so it's best to have a live-in GF vs. a wife. You can get out of a bad situation with a lot less financial loss. It's just common sense economics. Just don't introduce any children into the dynamic.

Now, if your goal is to raise a family, you really should get married, but you have to really think about giving your life away, because that's essentially what you're doing. Your wife and kids' lives and finances will ALWAYS come before your own, that's what's expected of you as a married man in today's culture. You are perpetually in last place when married with children. Some men can live like this, many cannot.

It's much easier for women. They just need to find a man who brings in a decent salary, get pregnant, and they own his finances for 26 years, don't have to hold a job, don't have to get married, and can use the legal system to keep the father of their child away from them, AND get money from him.  That's like the best deal you can get in modern western culture when it comes to free money.

I suppose that’s one way to look at it, and many will say that’s been their experience. My experience has been very different. It’s not always easy, but it can be great. For one thing, I suppose I always expected to have a family. But I won’t tell anyone else how to live. 

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

I suppose that’s one way to look at it, and many will say that’s been their experience. My experience has been very different. It’s not always easy, but it can be great. For one thing, I suppose I always expected to have a family. But I won’t tell anyone else how to live. 

Right, it worked great for my parents, but they married in the 1950's, the world is a much different place these days. 

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Right, it worked great for my parents, but they married in the 1950's, the world is a much different place these days. 

I was married in 1985, and it’s been a blessing. It still can work these days. My son will probably be married next year. He’s been living with his GF for a while, which I think is a good test. It’s nice to know what you’re really getting into, and living together gives you a glimpse of the real person. That was less popular decades ago. My son is pretty accomplished, but I think she actually makes more than he does (as is currently the case with me and my wife). It doesn’t have to be about this finances, if you’re doing it right. 

Edited by Augie

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

It doesn’t have to be about this finances, if you’re doing it right.

That all depends upon the type of woman tbh, hence the lottery comment... Also, you (or your son) not being the bread winner is part of it.  The vast majority of women want to marry up, not down. However, with the way things are going in our academic culture, women will have to get used to being the bread winners, will have to get used to marrying down, if they want to get married...

Edited by MacGyver

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

First, if people would read EVERY post i make, they would have had a two week jump on the application process as I  reported this was happening from the Fan Board meeting !!!!! I am disappointed in you people!

It wasn't formally announced back then though. 

46 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

That all depends upon the type of woman tbh, hence the lottery comment... Also, you (or your son) not being the bread winner is part of it.  The vast majority of women want to marry up, not down. However, with the way things are going in our academic culture, women will have to get used to being the bread winners, will have to get used to marrying down, if they want to get married...

Dude...save some ***** for the rest of us!

7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Now, if your goal is to raise a family, you really should get married, but you have to really think about giving your life away, because that's essentially what you're doing. Your wife and kids' lives and finances will ALWAYS come before your own, that's what's expected of you as a married man in today's culture. You are perpetually in last place when married with children. Some men can live like this, many cannot.

Money has cost me more after my divorce actually.

She didn't take any of my savings or retirement so I'm good there.  Now I'm giving her almost a $1,000 a month for preschool and child support.  Child support needs to be adjusted badly.  The $421.00 a month is about twice the amount she needs for child support....especially since we have shared 50/50 custody.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Money has cost me more after my divorce actually.

She didn't take any of my savings or retirement so I'm good there.  Now I'm giving her almost a $1,000 a month for preschool and child support.  Child support needs to be adjusted badly.  The $421.00 a month is about twice the amount she needs for child support....especially since we have shared 50/50 custody.  

Should have stayed married.

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Should have stayed married.

No way.....no way.

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Wow, that's kind of amazing...

She's got that "I don't need a man, I'm independent" attitude.  She's always got a chip on her shoulder.  I used to hate it but now I don't mind it because it kept her from taking my hard earned savings/retirement.