Thinking of getting married? Try Halftime at Pats-Bills Game

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I proposed at a 4th of July fireworks display.  I figure that way, not only would my girl associate our romance with fireworks, but I would never forget the date I proposed.  It worked!

I got down on one knee and proposed - on Valentines Day.

We met on a blind date, and have been married almost 30 years.

Sometimes marriage works out well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

My son’s GF is a young lady we adore! She used to be a wedding planner (now in group sales for a YUGE hotel in downtown Atlanta). She used to do 300+ weddings a year. Crazy Big Azz weddings! She wants something MUCH smaller. Can’t see spending the money on a party for one night when you could put a down payment on a house with the same cash. Love her practical view! Unfortunately, we did a quick list of just our immediate family, and it was a pretty big number. Her family, as one of SIX daughters, is much larger. Her parents gave her a budget, and we’re willing to throw money at it, so it will be interesting to see. They can elope and keep the cash, for all I care. I’d like to be present at some form of ceremony. 

My son and his fiancé feel the same way.  My wife and I completely understand. Our families aren’t huge, but the numbers add up.  She worked for a wedding planner as a weekend gig, and she doesn’t want all the traditional American middle class hoopla. My brother in law had a a pig roast in the back yard for his reception, which I think is a great idea, but I don’t think that will happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Married at a Bills/*Pats game? Guaranteed that someone is going to cheat.

Since it’s Bills-Patriots, I was thinking more along the lines of one party performs battery on the other, and the victim’s family does nothing to assist the victim.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

How does getting married change your spending pattern? On the wedding? The wife is the spender? Not being critical, just not clear about the point. 

My son will be engaged before too long, I think, and it’s an interesting story. 

For a man, marriage is generally a huge financial burden. And if you want to get out of it, it's financially fatal to most.

NYS isn't a common law state, so it's best to have a live-in GF vs. a wife. You can get out of a bad situation with a lot less financial loss. It's just common sense economics. Just don't introduce any children into the dynamic.

Now, if your goal is to raise a family, you really should get married, but you have to really think about giving your life away, because that's essentially what you're doing. Your wife and kids' lives and finances will ALWAYS come before your own, that's what's expected of you as a married man in today's culture. You are perpetually in last place when married with children. Some men can live like this, many cannot.

It's much easier for women. They just need to find a man who brings in a decent salary, get pregnant, and they own his finances for 26 years, don't have to hold a job, don't have to get married, and can use the legal system to keep the father of their child away from them, AND get money from him.  That's like the best deal you can get in modern western culture when it comes to free money.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Sad 1

First, if people would read EVERY post i make, they would have had a two week jump on the application process as I  reported this was happening from the Fan Board meeting !!!!! I am disappointed in you people!

12 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm getting married on October 12 of this year, my fiancée sent me this and I immediately said "nope" and while we both like the Bills to me this be the most un-personal thing we can do on our special day.  

i would totally do this, and still do all the stuff on the 12th too!

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

First, if people would read EVERY post i make, they would have had a two week jump on the application process as I  reported this was happening from the Fan Board meeting !!!!! I am disappointed in you people!

After you giving your children coal for Christmas, we put little stock in your meanderings...?

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i would totally do this, and still do all the stuff on the 12th too!

They'd be delusional too but it would help me set up my own cult in Guyana.

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

I just had a horrible thought - what if the happy couple are both Pats* fans, and were decked out in Pats* gear for the ceremony?

Well, we would know what to get that couple for a wedding gift...providing that Brady’s done with it.

48 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

After you giving your children coal for Christmas, we put little stock in your meanderings...?

after the summer we have had with my supposedly grown children, the coal thing may have had greater implications than I thought!

23 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

They'd be delusional  enlightened too but it would help me set up my own cult in Guyana.

FIFY

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

after the summer we have had with my supposedly grown children, the coal thing may have had greater implications than I thought!

And I suppose you gave no thought to the fact those same children will choose which retirement home (or ice floe) they’ll send you to...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And I suppose you gave no thought to the fact those same children will choose which retirement home (or ice floe) they’ll send you to...

I vote for that one with the skinny polar bear.

See the source image

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Haha (+1) 1