TC Predictions: When the pads come on, who will excel, who will struggle?

A lot of hay gets made during OTAs, and minicamp regarding players making moves on the depth chart. But, as McD has stated, "there is no depth chart this time of year." And certainly, some positions can offer a better glimpse into a player's on-field ability than others. WRs, and CBs, for example, have more of an opportunity to exhibit their gameplay talents than linemen, who are not allowed to fully play their positions. 

That being said, there's going to be a lot of shifting once TC starts, and the pads come on. I have a feeling that Duke Williams will really start to make his presence felt. His strength, and aggressive style should really start to turn heads when defenders are allowed to tackle. I also suspect that this might be where Sills may struggle, and I base this on absolutely nothing more than watching him run.

Knox? Singletary? Sweeney? Joseph? How are these guys going to look once the hits start coming, and the game speeds up?

Offensive, and defensive linemen, especially, should really start to gel. Beyond tackling dummies, and sleds, we have only college footage to gauge how Oliver, and Ford are going to fare. And with so many new players on the O-line, it still seems like Morse is the only lock, Chris Brown's recent praising of Dawkins notwithstanding.

I'm interested to see who people think will benefit, or fall when the pads come on, and the practices become more physical.

• Like (+1) 1

My main feeling is , The FO has brought in enough talent at just about all the positions that regardless of who struggles someone will step up.

I especially think this is true at Receiver and O Line.

My main concern: Milano!!!

That was a brutal fracture and legs are kind of important for a Linebacker. I hope I’m wrong but don’t see him playing at last years level for much if not all of the year.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

A lot of hay gets made during OTAs, and minicamp regarding players making moves on the depth chart. But, as McD has stated, "there is no depth chart this time of year." And certainly, some positions can offer a better glimpse into a player's on-field ability than others. WRs, and CBs, for example, have more of an opportunity to exhibit their gameplay talents than linemen, who are not allowed to fully play their positions. 

That being said, there's going to be a lot of shifting once TC starts, and the pads come on. I have a feeling that Duke Williams will really start to make his presence felt. His strength, and aggressive style should really start to turn heads when defenders are allowed to tackle. I also suspect that this might be where Sills may struggle, and I base this on absolutely nothing more than watching him run.

Knox? Singletary? Sweeney? Joseph? How are these guys going to look once the hits start coming, and the game speeds up?

Offensive, and defensive linemen, especially, should really start to gel. Beyond tackling dummies, and sleds, we have only college footage to gauge how Oliver, and Ford are going to fare. And with so many new players on the O-line, it still seems like Morse is the only lock, Chris Brown's recent praising of Dawkins notwithstanding.

I'm interested to see who people think will benefit, or fall when the pads come on, and the practices become more physical.

is this disguised as a Duke williams thread.. ?

The O linemen would best benefit from playing with pads i might think ?

so maybe Ty and Cody Ford will endear themselves to us fans after all. Maybe Waddle just blows it up. Spain should be able to show something.

i expect Ed  to look real good and then not so much at TC. he has much to learn about nuances. 

Edmunds is the guy i hope takes the  leap and it shows up in camp

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My main feeling is , The FO has brought in enough talent at just about all the positions that regardless of who struggles someone will step up.

I especially think this is true at Receiver and O Line.

My main concern: Milano!!!

That was a brutal fracture and legs are kind of important for a Linebacker. I hope I’m wrong but don’t see him playing at last years level for much if not all of the year.

Another guy that could sneak up is Siron Neal.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m worried about Oliver in run defense. And I fear Vosean Joseph will struggle with the pads on.  He takes bad angles and misses more tackles than he makes. Against NFL lineman and runners he could look silly real quick.

I too look forward to seeing Knox in camp. I also want to see if Lawson shows up ready to compete and win starting DE spot in a contract year.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

so maybe Ty and Cody Ford will endear themselves to us fans after all. Maybe Waddle just blows it up. Spain should be able to show something.

i expect Ed  to look real good and then not so much at TC. he has much to learn about nuances. 

Not so far...

10 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was thinking the same thing, but it’s the dead time for five weeks so it’s a struggle to have any unique topics.  I do hope Williams can be a reclamation project, but for the purposes of the question, Brown and Beasley will excel.  Beasley will get open underneath and with an improved line, Allen will take a step forward hitting him over the middle.  He also has now two deep threats in Brown and Foster, but Brown has a lot more experience.

Should be a fun season.

• Like (+1) 1