Simple things that tend to confuse you...

Another Fan

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No offense taken.  It's actually a compliment and points to your deficiency.

The OP's topic is highlighting "operator error." Or: P.I.C.N.I.C. Problem In Chair Not In Computer. The deficiency falls on the person who simply can't handle the simplest of concepts.  Notice, I don't have any?  IE: The problem is you and or others.  HINT: That's not something to brag about. 

In this world:

Hose-bibb-not-sillcock-450x338.jpg

If you'll excuse me I'm gonna head over to the TIL thread.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

When you attach a hose or a bibb, which way is your hand rotating?  It's rotating counterclockwise ... unless you're looking up at it from underneath.

In the pic it shows a vacuum breaker attached (shot on right).  That gets attached just like a hose. So...

To attach:  You turn your hand CLOCKwise OR, righty tighty.

To detach: You turn your hand COUNTERclockwise OR, lefty loosy.

They are right-handed threads!!!  The faucet is near the sill plate of a structure, why they also call a hose bibb a "sillcock."  

What are you 6 inches tall?  And even so, you're still turning same way.  

Unless your back is to wall... Which it shouldn't be, what I am saying holds true.  Righty tighty, lefty loosy.

You define this thread!  The quintessential subject the OP oppines his sorry story for!

LMAO!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If you'll excuse me I'm gonna head over to the TIL thread.

Let's find common ground.  That's a sillcock AND it looks like a "frost free" sillcock (the guts of valve may be 10" to 24" in pipe, IE: in heated structure) WITH a hose bibb (the threaded parted where you attach the hose).  Right-handed threads of course.  Righty-tighty, lefty loosy.  

LoL...

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, sherpa said:

Every morning I put left over coffee in the microwave.

I was always irritated and confuse because when it times out it is always at the back of the microwave with the handle turned out, the most difficult way to retrieve it.

What are the odds?

Finally, I figured it out.

I put the cup in the same way every day, and select the same time setting.

Since it rotates at the same rpm, and I set the same time, it simply has to end up in the same place.

The microwave plate sometimes is off its groove to defeat you

49 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Bring

Take

Does anyone use the word "take" anymore?  For damn sure no one appears to be able to use the word "bring" correctly.

Hmm.

I had to think about this one.  I tend to use "bring" when I'm adding something to the situation, "I'm bringing potato salad to the cookout."  I use "take" when I'm subtracting something from the situation, "I'm taking my leftover potato salad home from the cookout."

"Bring to" vs. "take from."  I wonder if there's an actual rule associated with that.  Or maybe I'm wrong :lol:

Image result for hypnotoad

Holy Carp.   Tighten / Loosen?

It al depends on what you are working on.  

THE majority of things get tightened "clockwise" (or to the right) 

However on say, the propane tank nozzle to the BBQ grill, or the reel to your edge / weed trimmer have the opposite thread. 

25 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Hmm.

I had to think about this one.  I tend to use "bring" when I'm adding something to the situation, "I'm bringing potato salad to the cookout."  I use "take" when I'm subtracting something from the situation, "I'm taking my leftover potato salad home from the cookout."

"Bring to" vs. "take from."  I wonder if there's an actual rule associated with that.  Or maybe I'm wrong :lol:

This IS a good one.

In my head, I'm saying, "I need to bring my son to work," and "I need to take my son to work."  Bring feels more natural, but take doesn't sound wrong, per se.

Now I'm saying, "I'm going to bring my son to lunch," and "I'm going to take my son to lunch."  In this example, bring seems to imply that I'm bringing him and leaving him there; take seems to imply that he and I are going together.

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Catsup........

Ketchup......

That even confused Monty Burns.

image.png.105af64ecfa19164a68e50c06bbac88a.png

One of the greatest episodes of all time. He goes on down the aisle to buy Count Chocula because he's looking for the "Burns-O's" and decides "I guess this one kind of looks like me."

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

No it's not!  Looking at it straight on, you're turning it to your left to tighten.  if you lay on your back and look "into" the faucet hole, THEN it's turning right.

What the hell's wrong with you, Gugny? Who lays on their BACK to screw a hose on????

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

image.png.105af64ecfa19164a68e50c06bbac88a.png

One of the greatest episodes of all time. He goes on down the aisle to buy Count Chocula because he's looking for the "Burns-O's" and decides "I guess this one kind of looks like me."

What the hell's wrong with you, Gugny? Who lays on their BACK to screw a hose on????

Nobody!  My point is that if one is putting a hose on, one's hand won't turn clockwise unless one lies on one's back and looks up at the spigot whilst turning the hose.

If you're looking directly at it (how normal people like you and I attach hoses to faucets), your hand will, indeed, be turning left ... not right.  Unfortunately, @ExiledInIllinois can't comprehend this.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nobody!  My point is that if one is putting a hose on, one's hand won't turn clockwise unless one lies on one's back and looks up at the spigot whilst turning the hose.

If you're looking directly at it (how normal people like you and I attach hoses to faucets), your hand will, indeed, be turning left ... not right.  Unfortunately, @ExiledInIllinois can't comprehend this.

The man is busy explaining the Coriolis effect to a flying carp that landed in his boat.......give him some slack.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Gluon self-interaction.  I mean...electron self-interaction, that's obvious: the photon is the gauge particle of the electromagnetic field, so electron self-interaction is the electron emitting a photon that it then reabsorbs.  

But the gauge particle that caries color in QCD is the gluon.  So for a gluon to self-interact...is it emitting another gluon?  If another gluon is involved, is it really self-interaction?  Can a fermionic gauge particle truly self-interact?

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Catsup........

Ketchup......

That even confused Monte Burns.

Because they're both derivatives of the Chinese logogram kai-tsep.  "Ketchup" is more accurate phonetically, whereas "catsup" is a more accurate written transliteration.  

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Gluon self-interaction.  I mean...electron self-interaction, that's obvious: the photon is the gauge particle of the electromagnetic field, so electron self-interaction is the electron emitting a photon that it then reabsorbs.  

But the gauge particle that caries color in QCD is the gluon.  So for a gluon to self-interact...is it emitting another gluon?  If another gluon is involved, is it really self-interaction?  Can a fermionic gauge particle truly self-interact?

Because they're both derivatives of the Chinese logogram kai-tsep.  "Ketchup" is more accurate phonetically, whereas "catsup" is a more accurate written transliteration.  

Image result for who are you so wise in the ways of science gif

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Just unscrewed my hose to the right and it loosened 

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

THANK YOU!!!!!

I just took a screwdriver and unscrewed some screws and my hand turned the same way. I think we may be wrong here.

Looking from above it does seem off though. My brother and I are going back and forth on this lol

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Clockwise/Counterclockwise" is nonsense, because they're axially variant terms. 

Right-hand rule: point the thumb of your right hand in the direction you want the screw to move.  You turn the screw in the direction your fingers curl.  In other words: you want to remove the hose, point your right thumb away from the faucet.  The hose turns how your fingers curl in to your palm. 

The right-hand rule is axially invariant, and will work for any normal threading (e.g. not a lawn mower blade, which is reverse-threaded so engine torque doesn't loosen it.)

• Like (+1) 1