Water Levels in Great Lakes Keep Rising

Great Lakes Water Levels to Keep Rising

ONLY RULE:

@Cripple Creek @CountryCletus CAN'T wreck or hijack a totally well intentioned thread! Experts only please!! Save your infant sized Type II PFD and water wings for the kiddie pool please!!! That means you @Gugny (Water Wings). And @BringBackFergy (Type II Infant PFD)!

You’ve-been-warned_-double-black-ski-run-The-Wall.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

thundersaddletop.jpg

My opinion: water is good.

Ask me again in 100 years. I think global warming is a true threat, but I don't think one to five year anomalys prove it. 

We have had, here in NE Oklahoma, unusually mild winters and summers for the last several years. Mostly comfortable, even. The extreme monsoons in the spring, and terrible drought in the fall have become predictable too (from a layman's pespective). 

Averages seem to average out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What in the actual ***** is this?

Water levels are rising!  Our upper pool at the lock is 11" higher than last year and 5.5 higher since 2014.  You how many billions, trillions if not more water that is!

Please, stick to the bunny slope and don't forget your helmet! 

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

My opinion: water is good.

Ask me again in 100 years. I think global warming is a true threat, but I don't think one to five year anomalys prove it. 

We have had, here in NE Oklahoma, unusually mild winters and summers for the last several years. Mostly comfortable, even. The extreme monsoons in the spring, and terrible drought in the fall have become predictable too (from a layman's pespective). 

Averages seem to average out.

This isn't a 5 year anomaly.  A lake like L.Michigan is on a 100 cycle.  The last drop of water from 6/15/1919 is just leaving now.

On L.Erie... The last drop from 6/15/2016 is just leaving.  Erie is roughly on a 3 year cycle.

High water on Michigan-Huron follow royghly a 20 year cycle.  Last high water @ work in Chicago was 1997. Before that, which we are approaching now, the record I believe was in 1972.

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

We are sciencing here. Put on your PPE and stand back.

Thanks... For keeping @Johnny Hammersticks safe!

I nominate you Jr. Corps Ranger!

Bobber the Water Safety Dog will present you with your badge at a tailgate!

!B1UCwz!B2k_$(KGrHqJ,!j!E)sBeRiMnBMd+kr24eg___35.jpeg

7222565972_b1029b846e_z.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Near as I can tell only experts should snow ski on the great lakes.

Or dive into water threads (like you dive down a slope).  You can think outside the box a little.  Public school education?

You're breaking the only rule. Not that I mind.  I have it coming.

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So water levels are rising in the lock/canal?? That happens when you close the gates and let the rainwater pour in. Have you ever filled a swimming pool? Same concept. 

No.  Water is not rising on the canal end.

That's why the lock and dam exists.  To guard against the fluctuations.  The water in the canal is kept static.

The upper pool is L.Michigan.  That fluctuates. That's the "Head." Mutha nature dictates the elevation of the head.

The lock chamber is in middle

The canal end is the "Tail".  That is set by law 2 feet below flat pool. 

Flat pool is neither high nor low water of the head.  That flat pool elevation is +579.48' feet above mean sea level.  We just call that: "Zero gage."  We go off that.

Here is an example.  This means a boat will be raised or lowered exactly 6.48' (feet).  The lake is +4.09 or +583.57' above mean sea level.

10 years ago L.Michigan was rountinely in the negative... Like -1.25 feet. That means L.Michigan is roughly +5.25 feet higher in 2019 than in 2009.

We send the water, divert down when we aerate/oxygenate to combat pollution, add water to keep canal at 9 feet depth for navigation through dam or run the lock. That water in the canal is handled by next lock down, a 40 foot drop @ Lockport IllIllinois.  They generate power there with that 40 foot head.

So... The canal seldom gets out of joint between that -1.50 & -3.00 set in law by US Code. During rain events canal may rise into the positive... But it's quickly bled off at Lockport in a day or so.

If tail gets higher than head, we close. This in order to prevent backflow into Lake.

20190613_060528.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Also... During rain events, when lots is expected... We will draw down that tail to make room for extra storage. But once event stops, will allow canal to go back to aroung -2.00'... Given the range in USC 33 CFR 207.425

USC 33 CFR $ 207.425

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

^^^^^^ That entire explanation was copied and pasted from Wikipedia. Not my first day on the turnip truck. 

LoL... I don't Wiki talks like me.  Nobody does!!! Cut Wiki some slack!

TJ O'Brien L/D

Of course water goed up and down in lock.  The lock is the water elevator around the dam.

If the tail gets higher than the head for longer than four hours, get another Russian hooker to piss on you.

The locks can't clean the waters whilst dumping hydraulic fluid and RoundUp into said water.

I would never hijack a thread.  I am a responsible member of the TBD community and you have been reported for insinuating otherwise.

Thank you ... and goodnight.

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If the tail gets higher than the head for longer than four hours, get another Russian hooker to piss on you.

The locks can't clean the waters whilst dumping hydraulic fluid and RoundUp into said water.

I would never hijack a thread.  I am a responsible member of the TBD community and you have been reported for insinuating otherwise.

Thank you ... and goodnight.

Yes they can.  Next thing you'll tell me that when you take a dump and flush... The new toilet water is just as dirty as before the flush.

And it's really a "controlling works" because it acts just like the toilet in your house.  It's just a big azz one.

We would flush more water, dilute even more... But Illinois is bound by SCOTUS rulings going back over 100 years to NOT to divert more than ~4,000 cfs (cubic feet per second).  There you have it, the original "low flow" water closet.

Anyway... Back to original topic.  The Great Lakes are over flowing because winters have been more severe since 2014.  The more ice cover on Michigan-Huron & Erie supress Lake temps... So as during the main evaporation months of July and August there is less evaporation that falls outside the basin.  Rate of water accumulation beats the rate of abatement.  Which means more net water gain than goes out over the Niagara Falls and through Chicago for the middle three lakes.