Water Levels in Great Lakes Keep Rising

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Because thats the fetch of the Bay pointed right at Syracuse and then added with Ontario.

Geologically the Bay is a spill over from Huron.  The Niagara Escarpment goes under water there and pops up again rounding and impounding Huron and L.Michigan all the way down through Door County, Green Bay into Lower Wisconsin:

220px-Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

I'm enjoying this discussion.

Can you explain a bit how the escarpment does this rounding and impounding?

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This is what makes the world go round.  It's not just a Great Lakes "problem."   Weather has Always been cyclical, and really is uncontrolled by all the hand wringers..

Last year central Europe had a very dry Spring/Summer.  That dropped the water levels in the Danube, Maine, and to a lesser extent the Rhine.  This year, mostly back to normal, to above normal levels.  Really screwed up the river cruise business with the low water.  The controlling river authority(s) closed portions of the rivers, at various times.

Passau Germany sits at the confluence of three rivers, and had the worst floods in 500 years, in 2013.  Last year high and dry, this year back to normal.  All these rivers are controlled by a series of locks to facilitate barge transportation, and to a lesser extent river cruise ships but there's only so much of nature that ever really gets "controlled."  At least Passau had the benefit of 500+ years of weather/river data to compare.  While We're still falling back on geology to try to figure it out.

I have a friend whose European river cruise was cancelled last year due to low water.  They opted to have it rescheduled for this year. It looks like it will happen this time. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

This makes no sense.  How does polluted water increase evaporation????!!!!

Polluted water doesn't freeze.  Hence it stays warmer.  Hence come summer, during the prime evap months of July and August, H2O temps are elevated. 

Warmer = higher evaporation

Suppressed temps because ice has been floating around = less evaporation.

Also.  With ice cover... There is none to little winter evaporation.

Set up a fish tank.  Leave it.  Where does the water go after a few months.

The water is getting cleaner and cleaner.  Low water during my years here have been during the warm winters.  At one time, this river barely froze it was so hot.

Icebergs floating around L.Superior in June and hunks of ice falling from the Apostle Islands "sea caves" in July, up in Northern Wisconsin really do play a part.

Global Warming really does play a part.  Evaporation will fall outside the basin.

Notice Lakes started going up after the hard freeze of 2014?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I'm enjoying this discussion.

Can you explain a bit how the escarpment does this rounding and impounding?

Remember... Lakes are melting hunks of ice.  See were Escarpment goes under Lake Huron and water spills into Georgian Bay?  See where it goes under L.Michigan @ Door County and water spills into Green Bay?

L.Superior to the North I believe is volcanic, basalt.  The Michigan-Huron, Erie share common impounded geology.  Georgian Bay, Green Bay are beyond that.  Superior different.  Ontario different.

I am NOT a geologist... But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Any professional geologist out there care to expound?  This is an experts only slope.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Turns out....Lake Ontario is a filthy *****.

Sure is!!! Through the years....2000s when Middle Lakes went low.  Ontario stayed static because of the St.Lawrence and shipping.  It should have been allowed to drop.  Naturally cleanse itself.  If it dropped, drew down... The reserve capacity would have been able to handle it what Erie, Michigan-Huron (& Superior, but Superior is controlled) giving it!

Little known fact.  Canada puts water IN to Superior from the Arctic watershed 25% MORE than Chicago diverts daily and around (rough #s) 10% MORE than what goes over The Falls daily.

Blame Canada Hydro up in the wilds of Ontario... Tell them to stop generating power for Toronto and stop adding water to L.Superior.

34 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You’re new here aren’t ya?

There is no such thing as a “brief” explanation when it comes to @ExiledInIllinois and the Corps. 

Blame my Grade 11 West Seneca West English teacher.  LoL...

And tell @Gugny I just checked water temps going back to 2012.  The river which is usually 10-20° warmer than Big Lake today is 66°

In:

2012: 75°

2013: 69°

2014: 71° (Cold year, icebergs on Superior in June, ice still falling off north cliffs in July!)

2015: 71°

2016: 73°

2017: 74°

2018: 73°

2019: 66°

Lake Michigan has to be in low 50s° ???

Just checked:

Mid Lake Bouy: 44°!!

High water started after 2013-14 winter!

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Blame my Grade 11 West Seneca West English teacher.  LoL...

And tell @Gugny I just checked water temps going back to 2012.  The river which is usually 10-20° warmer than Big Lake today is 66°

In:

2012: 75°

2013: 69°

2014: 71° (Cold year, icebergs on Superior in June, ice still falling off north cliffs in July!)

2015: 71°

2016: 73°

2017: 74°

2018: 73°

2019: 66°

Lake Michigan has to be in low 50s° ???

Just checked:

Mid Lake Bouy: 44°!!

High water started after 2013-14 winter!

I wonder if the wineries that rely on microclimates near the lakes will have a bad year.  

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I wonder if the wineries that rely on microclimates near the lakes will have a bad year.  

Good question.

The Lake water temp @ St.Joseph in Michigan is 68°.  They are in wine country.  Tempered by Lake, alee like BFLo...

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So... It seems the microclimates power through.  68° at St.Joseph Light is warm!!! Warmer than a 9 foot deep river here!

Nobody is eating meat anymore!!!  All this fake crap!

I've always wanted to be a minority, now I'm there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Polluted water doesn't freeze.  Hence it stays warmer.  Hence come summer, during the prime evap months of July and August, H2O temps are elevated. 

Warmer = higher evaporation

Suppressed temps because ice has been floating around = less evaporation.

Also.  With ice cover... There is none to little winter evaporation.

Set up a fish tank.  Leave it.  Where does the water go after a few months.

The water is getting cleaner and cleaner.  Low water during my years here have been during the warm winters.  At one time, this river barely froze it was so hot.

Icebergs floating around L.Superior in June and hunks of ice falling from the Apostle Islands "sea caves" in July, up in Northern Wisconsin really do play a part.

Global Warming really does play a part.  Evaporation will fall outside the basin.

Notice Lakes started going up after the hard freeze of 2014?

i'm beginning to think you may have been water boarded once, possibly twice before. 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

... High water started after 2013-14 winter!

it's called, Plan 2014.

your welcome.

Edited by Foxx