Houston Texans decide not to have a GM for 2019 season

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently they “settled” with the pats so they don’t get Caserio, but they won’t lose a draft pick. Sounds like Kraft called Cal McNair and worked it all out so that they could keep their guy. Caserio has some kind of clause in his contract so that he can’t leave the Pats. It’s like Hotel California. 

I'm a little surprised at the no move clause for Caserio. The standard approach is that after gaining permission to talk to one's staffer if a promotion is offered the staffer is allowed to leave. 

I suspect that there were problems relating to the initial conduct without getting permission. There is something smelly about how the approach was made by Houston. 

On 6/16/2019 at 10:56 AM, JohnC said:

I'm a little surprised at the no move clause for Caserio. The standard approach is that after gaining permission to talk to one's staffer if a promotion is offered the staffer is allowed to leave. 

I suspect that there were problems relating to the initial conduct without getting permission. There is something smelly about how the approach was made by Houston. 

From what I read, Patriots didn't want to lose him and want to keep him. They spotted one of the executives from the Texans talking to him at their ring ceremony (Texans executive was there to get a ring for his time with the Pats I believe) and the next day the GM was fired. Pats decide they can keep him around in this case by threatening tampering charges and the Texans back off and won't hire a GM for this season. 

It sounds like he was definitely their guy, the other reported interviews were sham token interviews and there's a way they can get who they want next offseason so instead of just hiring someone to keep the seat warm, they will just leave the position open til next offseason when they may also need a new coach.

• Like (+1) 1

The real story in the Patriots-Texans clash: Nick Caserio wants out

Caserio’s deal reportedly runs through the 2020 NFL Draft. To use football terms, the Patriots are making Caserio play out his contract before reaching free agency.

The Patriots’ win keeps Bill Belichick’s right-hand man in Foxborough for another season, but also exposes some tension inside the walls of Gillette Stadium that we thought had simmered since last year.

Belichick and Tom Brady seem to have smoothed things over. But there has been a surprising exodus of coaches and scouts over the last two years (especially this year), which raises questions about the working environment in Foxborough.

Five coaches left this offseason (not all for promotions). Jack Easterby left. Longtime scout Dujuan Daniels left. Greg Schiano left after a month.

And now we see that Caserio wants out, too. If Caserio wanted to stay in New England, he would have just turned down the Texans’ overtures. Instead, the Patriots had to lawyer up to enforce Caserio’s contract.

The Texans are right now paying 2 GMs, they dont want to pay a third and THEN next year hire Caserio from the Pats and then potentially be paying four GMs at the same time.  Caserio had a clause in his contract expiring next year that effectively rendered the Texans ability fo hire him as naught.

And the new Owner cal McNair has not accomplished much of anything in his life without Daddy supporting him, he has an excellent shot at being a terrible owner.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Texans are right now paying 2 GMs, they dont want to pay a third and THEN next year hire Caserio from the Pats and then potentially be paying four GMs at the same time.  Caserio had a clause in his contract expiring next year that effectively rendered the Texans ability fo hire him as naught.

And the new Owner cal McNair has not accomplished much of anything in his life without Daddy supporting him, he has an excellent shot at being a terrible owner.

Some articles have concluded that the clause is unenforceable and has been ruled such previously.  The wild card here is that the Pats used the tampering as the way to get the Texans to back off.  If he was their guy they needed to grow a pair or continued to be beat by the Pats.

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Bill O'Brien is a pale imitation of the guys he's trying to emulate.  Can you imagine being a fan of that team?

In his first 5 years as HC, O'Brien has a 42-38 win/loss record,  made the playoffs 3 times by winning the division, and had 4 winning seasons.  The Texans went 4-12 in 2017 because Watson was injured 7 games into his rookie season.   O'Brien's three QBs before acquiring Watson were Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, and Brock Osweiler.  O'Brien may not be as good as he thinks he is, but he's a decent HC. 

Moreover, the Texans didn't fire their GM in order to promote O'Brien but because they thought they had "their guy" already lined up.  I have no idea who in the Texans' organization is responsible for the roster, but it may be that the ownership was dissatisfied with the GM's inability to improve the OL, which had been a problem in 2017 and wasn't any better in 2018 as Watson also suffered a serious injury last season which hampered his play in several games, including the win over the Bills.

Mocking Texans' fans isn't probably the best course for Bills fans.  The Texans have had 7 winning seasons, 5 playoff appearances, and 1 playoff win since they joined the league as an expansion franchise in 2002.   The Bills have had 3 winning seasons and 1 playoff appearance during that same time period.

• Like (+1) 1

My point is not to compare results between the two teams, but to note that Bill O'Brien seems to be quite a tool, and not a particularly sharp one either.  Similar to Doug Marrone, Gregg Williams, etc.  Guys that think they are always right, are completely unlikable, and in love with the smell of their own rosy brand of flatulence

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

In his first 5 years as HC, O'Brien has a 42-38 win/loss record,  made the playoffs 3 times by winning the division, and had 4 winning seasons.  The Texans went 4-12 in 2017 because Watson was injured 7 games into his rookie season.   O'Brien's three QBs before acquiring Watson were Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, and Brock Osweiler.  O'Brien may not be as good as he thinks he is, but he's a decent HC. 

Moreover, the Texans didn't fire their GM in order to promote O'Brien but because they thought they had "their guy" already lined up.  I have no idea who in the Texans' organization is responsible for the roster, but it may be that the ownership was dissatisfied with the GM's inability to improve the OL, which had been a problem in 2017 and wasn't any better in 2018 as Watson also suffered a serious injury last season which hampered his play in several games, including the win over the Bills.

Mocking Texans' fans isn't probably the best course for Bills fans.  The Texans have had 7 winning seasons, 5 playoff appearances, and 1 playoff win since they joined the league as an expansion franchise in 2002.   The Bills have had 3 winning seasons and 1 playoff appearance during that same time period.

Yeah, people who try to act like O’Brien isn’t a good coach are clueless.  He rebuilt PSU after that scandal and made Hackenberg look good (lot of love for him on this board during his draft).  

I do get the look he has and brings Marrone vibes.  But if their o line holds up (it was worse than the Bills last year), no one will give a crap about their GM.  GMs are kinda overrated.  It’s not like it’s hard to find hidden talent anymore.  I bet some posters could do a decent job if they were given the opportunity.  JMO though haha.

14 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

My point is not to compare results between the two teams, but to note that Bill O'Brien seems to be quite a tool, and not a particularly sharp one either.  Similar to Doug Marrone, Gregg Williams, etc.  Guys that think they are always right, are completely unlikable, and in love with the smell of their own rosy brand of flatulence

This is so different from so many NFL HCs, good and bad,  past and present?  

so many threads ...  I'll pick this one 

Report: Nick Caserio wants out of New England

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nick-caserio-wants-england-191108925.html

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, the top non-Bill Belichick personnel man there wants out of New England, creating an awkward dynamic for the team.

Caserio has a year left on his contract, and last week’s events make it clear the Patriots intend for him to honor it.

The Texans not hiring a G.M. for the time being also creates a pretty clear impression that they’re holding the seat open until Caserio can fill it.

17 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Some articles have concluded that the clause is unenforceable and has been ruled such previously.  The wild card here is that the Pats used the tampering as the way to get the Texans to back off.  If he was their guy they needed to grow a pair or continued to be beat by the Pats.

Probably correct, not sure why the fired Gaine until they secured a new GM anyway.Cal McNair has is shaping up to be one of the NFLs worst GMs.