Houston Texans decide not to have a GM for 2019 season

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hey O'Brien.   I knew Belichick.  Belichick was a good friend of mine.  O'Brien, you're no Belichick.

Fun fact. Bill O’Brien record after 5 years: 42-38, 3 playoff appearances 

belichick after 5 seasons: 36-44, 1 playoff appearance

just saying 

I understand that more and more teams around the league are centering their front office around their head coach and his vision for the team. Belichick is obviously the first you think of, but Kansas City is set up that way with Andy Reid. Even Buffalo, having McDermott hired first, then getting rid of Whaley and basically hiring McDermott’s handpicked guy in Beane, McDermott is definitely the head of the organization imo. Beane has a role, but he’s there because of McDermott.

The problem with Houston is that O’Brien can’t seem to find anyone to really mesh with as a front office executive. The only problem I see is that coaches during the season have enough on their plate. Going through weekly game plans, delegating to assistant coaches, actually coaching. Putting GM type duties on top of that is just an unnecessary burden on the individual. 

We might not see it on the field because Houston has a pretty talented overall roster, but I don’t think that this is good for the long term outlook of the franchise. 

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Right.  I want to confirm he was referring to those and not his first 5 with the Pats.

He also went 5-11 his first year with the Pats. I think he was 0-2 before before Mo Lewis killed Bledsoe. 

I dont think BOB will win 6 SBs.  I’m just saying Belichick would have been thought of as a worse coach than BOB after 5 years.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe he is being GM under the table as some foil hat posters say Beane was.

That’s why if I’m the Pats I just let him go now. I mean otherwise how do you know he has the Pats best interests in mind for the next 7 months? They have a whole season ahead of them.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are just going to wait out Caserio aren’t they? 

At any rate, my sister’s best friend is married to his brother. His brother was telling me last time that I was there that this is it for Nick in New England. He’s leaving after this year. 

Anything that might hurt the Patriots is a reason to celebrate, at least a little. 

Kirby is the Kevin Bacon of football!  

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Anything that might hurt the Patriots is a reason to celebrate, at least a little. 

Kirby is the Kevin Bacon of football!  

Ha ha, it’s a total Kevin Bacon thing. I have never met Nick but Mikey is a nice dude. He’s really good to all of them.