Houston Texans decide not to have a GM for 2019 season

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They're going to hire the guy from New England next year.  I'm sure that was the agreement that was reached between the Texans and Pats.  In exchange for not pursuing a tampering charge on Houston they agreed not to hire the guy until some future date.  Probably post NFL Draft 2020.

I also think that they will hire him next year, but if I’m the Pats I don’t want a guy working for my team for the next 7 months who already has a plan in place to jump to another team, especially one that is in-conference. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also think that they will hire him next year, but if I’m the Pats I don’t want a guy working for my team for the next 7 months who already has a plan in place to jump to another team, especially one that is in-conference. 

I don't think he will he doing anything important.

The Bills went from the beginning of the offseason through the 2017 draft without a GM.  Whaley was dead GM walking, all he had was a title.  He was not even allowed to speak to anyone in the media during that time.   Most of the GMs work is done when free agency & the draft are over anyway.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well if they don’t make the playoffs after going 11-5 last year, he will finally only have himself to blame 

True , it seemed to me like they were a very weak 11-5 . They were 3-4 versus teams with a winning record. 8-1 versus teams with losing records . Shoot we probably beat them in Houston  if Allen didn't get injured, even though it was a blessing in disguise! 

I see a 6-8 win team. Their OL is brutal. Defense not what it once was. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

That team is getting horrible.......... Tampering might lose a draft pick, GM got fired over who knows what if any of it is true, and this. I see them going downhill.

Apparently they “settled” with the pats so they don’t get Caserio, but they won’t lose a draft pick. Sounds like Kraft called Cal McNair and worked it all out so that they could keep their guy. Caserio has some kind of clause in his contract so that he can’t leave the Pats. It’s like Hotel California. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Whos running your college and pro scouting all fall? 

Who is is managing your salary cap? 

Or or are you saving all that for after the super bowl?

Looking at their organizational chart, that would be Matt Bazirgan, the Director of Player Personnel. I would think he'd be the defacto GM, with O'Brien supervising.

As for the cap, they probably have guys who will help if Bazirgan needs it. Their cap's in decent shape this year, with around $20 mill left and $62 mill next year according to Spotrac. All they have to do from now till February is not screw things up too much. My guess is they can manage that. 

I'd guess the tough part would be synchronizing Caserio when he come in January or February - assuming they get him - with the scouting staff who have been doing the work. Tough, but not impossible.

I'm not a Texans fan and I don't like O'Brien, so I won't mind if this causes big problems, but I don't think it will. I don't think it's a great move, but it might not be so very awful either.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't think formal team organizational structure is nearly as important as is the talent/philosophy of the person(people) actually running the team whatever the title he holds along with how the ownership influences the team.

Which is worse?  Not having a GM or having a GM who's a glorified talent scout?  The Bills have not had a GM with actual GM power (ie, choosing his HCs as well as controlling the roster among other duties) since Tom Donahoe was fired in 2006, although they've had guys with the title (Nix and Whaley).   The results haven't been very good.   I'm not sure how much actual control of the team that Beane has.   He didn't hire McDermott since he was hired after McDermott was on board, but I don't think anyone really knows how much control to hire HCs or to build/shape the roster he has now or will have in the future.   Beane was able to bring in his own scouting staff (and likely other staff we don't hear/know about), which is something that neither Nix nor Whaley ever did (which might mean that they didn't have power or didn't do so simply because they came out of the Bills organization).

24 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think formal team organizational structure is nearly as important as is the talent/philosophy of the person(people) actually running the team whatever the title he holds along with how the ownership influences the team.

Which is worse?  Not having a GM or having a GM who's a glorified talent scout?  The Bills have not had a GM with actual GM power (ie, choosing his HCs as well as controlling the roster among other duties) since Tom Donahoe was fired in 2006, although they've had guys with the title (Nix and Whaley).   The results haven't been very good.   I'm not sure how much actual control of the team that Beane has.   He didn't hire McDermott since he was hired after McDermott was on board, but I don't think anyone really knows how much control to hire HCs or to build/shape the roster he has now or will have in the future.   Beane was able to bring in his own scouting staff (and likely other staff we don't hear/know about), which is something that neither Nix nor Whaley ever did (which might mean that they didn't have power or didn't do so simply because they came out of the Bills organization).

They collaborate but officially, Beane has final say over the 53

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well if they don’t make the playoffs after going 11-5 last year, he will finally only have himself to blame 

If they miss the playoffs this year, O'Brien will be gone.  This team has a lot of talent and the owner will probably be very unhappy.  With this approach, the owner can hire a GM and a new head coach at the same time.  This is surely a decision made by the owner.  As long as the scouting and personnel departments are intact and functional, the team can be okay for a while.

This isn't a move that you would see from a team that expects to be successful this season.  To me, it looks like the prelude to tearing things apart for a major rebuild.  If that's how it works out, we can scratch an AFC playoff contender for the next couple of years.  I'm more than okay with that.

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If we kept marrone I imagine it would’ve gone this way. He might’ve suited up at RG too.

He wouldn't have been any worse than Erik Pears.

It is all on Billy O now in Houston. Which is the way he has always wanted it. Now he has to show that way can work. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Haha (+1) 1