Thad Brown: “Cody Ford Is Not A Starter For the Bills”

On 6/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This guy?  And we care about his football predictions why?

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/contact/bios/thad-brown/211085407

With a good OL, it's quite common for a rookie OLman to spend a year learning the NFL game and pursuing NFL level strength and conditioning.

We do have competition on the OL, but if Ford doesn't start this year, it doesn't mean he's a crap pick either.

This. Hes a rookie. nuff said.

I hope Ford starts, because that means that he was too good to keep off the field.

The RT in front of him, Nsehke, is a good football player. If Ford beats him for the job, then the OT position is looking like it's 3-deep with legitimate NFL starting talent.

If he doesn't win the RT job, but looks too good to keep off the field, then that's even better. Kick him over to guard, where he has 2+ years of experience.

I said pre-draft that I thought Ford was a solid player--the kind of guy that you draft believing that he can play tackle, but knowing that he can play guard. Now, for me, that type of player is a late day 2 value, but that's beside the point.

Regardless, that there's enough competition to potentially keep a good football player like Ford off the field is a positive step for this team, and a huge difference from 2018.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I hope Ford starts, because that means that he was too good to keep off the field.

The RT in front of him, Nsehke, is a good football player. If Ford beats him for the job, then the OT position is looking like it's 3-deep with legitimate NFL starting talent.

If he doesn't win the RT job, but looks too good to keep off the field, then that's even better. Kick him over to guard, where he has 2+ years of experience.

I said pre-draft that I thought Ford was a solid player--the kind of guy that you draft believing that he can play tackle, but knowing that he can play guard. Now, for me, that type of player is a late day 2 value, but that's beside the point.

Regardless, that there's enough competition to potentially keep a good football player like Ford off the field is a positive step for this team, and a huge difference from 2018.

Great post—it’s hard to believe the difference in depth this regime was able to manufacture over the course of only one offseason. That’s the fruit of taking your salary cap lumps/medicine all at once last year too. 

On 6/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, Jay_Fixit said:

Guys named Thad are the crappier version of guys named Chad.

And we all know guys named Chad wear board shorts to weddings.

So...

His name really is Chad.....it’s just that Mike Tyson is his daddy. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Its entirely possible Ford doesnt start right away, its entirely possible Ford doesnt see much time at all. However, that to me will be indicative of the talent ahead of him, and not so much predicated on his abilities.

There were some that thought Ford was among the best OTs in the entire class. Hard to imagine the kid just goes belly up.

Truth is, a ton of top prospects go belly up, yet alone second tier.

ford has a lot of nice qualities, and is a solid pick... but even so is probably about a coin flip to be a good starter.

Sometimes, I feel like the local sports guys in the Roc seem so amateur. Almost as if they gave some poster on here a gig on the nightly local news. There would be like a 90% chance the person would have no idea what they are talking about. Then again, where do you go for objective reporting? 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...guess then I will "boldly predict (on a baseless whim)" that Josh Allen will "not be the starter on opening day"....I'll hang up and wait for WROC to call me (collect; they're broke)..........

He got asked to give a bold prediction, and gave one. Honestly, it wasn't even that bold. 

Shady will lose his #1 rb role this season. There I made a bolder one. I mean, if you're asked to make a bold statement are you then dammed if you do and dammed if you don't? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, CSBill said:

If Nsehke plays to the level of his signing money, he should be the starter.  I hope he is, and I hope it gives Ford time to develop, or, maybe Ford ends up being the starting right guard?

What is his level of signing?  

I see a pretty average/average-plus OT here, and an aging one well into his back-9 who turns 34 this season.  He has a two-year $10 M contract. 

I've read a few comments about him being highly-paid or the like.  He currently ranks 40th among NFL tackles in per-year NFL contract, and 89th among all linemen.  

That's hardly a "gotta play him" contract.  

As well, I simply don't understand the narrative on him.  PFF has him ranked as "above-average," nothing more with three categories above that.  He ain't gettin' any younger, he's started a mere 16 games in five seasons, every season on teams with poor offenses, which if we poll here had nothing to do with him I'm sure.  LOL 

I hardly think that he's a shoe-in for anything, with the exception that I really don't see this stable full of "upgraded" OL-men that everyone else has been seeing.  I see Morse as a significant upgrade, but he came with a significant injury risk, and the season and contact haven't even started and that risk is already playing out.  For the others brought on I see a marginal improvement at best.  

Point being, if he can't start, as the second-best OL-man brought on by our FO, what would that say?  

We have like 20 OL-men on the roster now, a handful of which everyone here says sucked last season.  Nearly half of them won't be around come September.  

I see our starting five, not necessarily in particular order, being Dawkins, Morse, Nsecke, Ford, and Spain.  I simply don't see any starting talent after them, only depth-caliber talent.  With the possible exception of Morse, and Ford pending, I rate the others as average to above-average.  PFF seems to agree.  But if Morse can't go, then what's the big delta between this year and last.  

And again, if Morse can't go then we're looking at Bodine again, which is why I would have drafted Risner instead of Ford, because he's played C.  Not on that he had a better record of pass protection.  So again, not seeing any kind of strategy here.  

Edited by Ronin

1 hour ago, Nick the Greek said:

Sometimes, I feel like the local sports guys in the Roc seem so amateur. Almost as if they gave some poster on here a gig on the nightly local news. There would be like a 90% chance the person would have no idea what they are talking about. Then again, where do you go for objective reporting? 

Haha well if you listen to the podcast, he’s been working at Channel 8 for almost 20 years.  Is while he might come off as Bush league to you, it’s not for his lack of experience 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ronin said:

I see a pretty average/average-plus OT here, and an aging one well into his back-9 who turns 34 this season.  He has a two-year $10 M contract. 

I've read a few comments about him being highly-paid or the like.  He currently ranks 40th among NFL tackles in per-year NFL contract, and 89th among all linemen.  

As well, I simply don't understand the narrative on him.  PFF has him ranked as "above-average," nothing more with three categories above that.  He ain't gettin' any younger, he's started a mere 16 games in five seasons, every season on teams with poor offenses, which if we poll here had nothing to do with him I'm sure.  LOL 

I hardly think that he's a shoe-in for anything, with the exception that I really don't see this stable full of "upgraded" OL-men that everyone else has been seeing.  I see Morse as a significant upgrade, but he came with a significant injury risk, and the season and contact haven't even started and that risk is already playing out.  For the others brought on I see a marginal improvement at best.  

Point being, if he can't start, as the second-best OL-man brought on by our FO, what would that say?  

We have like 20 OL-men on the roster now, a handful of which everyone here says sucked last season.  Nearly half of them won't be around come September.  

I see our starting five, not necessarily in particular order, being Dawkins, Morse, Nsecke, Ford, and Spain.  I simply don't see any starting talent after them, only depth-caliber talent.  With the possible exception of Morse, and Ford pending, I rate the others as average to above-average.  PFF seems to agree.  But if Morse can't go, then what's the big delta between this year and last.  

And again, if Morse can't go then we're looking at Bodine again, which is why I would have drafted Risner instead of Ford, because he's played C.  Not on that he had a better record of pass protection.  So again, not seeing any kind of strategy here.  

Long could shift to center, as could Feliciano.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Haha well if you listen to the podcast, he’s been working at Channel 8 for almost 20 years.  Is while he might come off as Bush league to you, it’s not for his lack of experience 

Na he's a good reporter. I shouldnt hate. I think deep down he loves the Bills and wants to see them do well.

I think Dawkins and Nsekhe will be the starting tackles, Ford has a lot of experience at guard and I think that is where he will be if he is a starter to begin the season. He will eventually be a starter at tackle after working on his pass pro against speed rushers. For anyone to suggest he will be a bust at this point is just completely ridiculous, he is one of the most powerful, athletic, and versatile lineman in his class. I expect him to have a great career whatever line position he plays.

6 hours ago, Ronin said:

Why do you think Morse is on doubt" And Feliciano has been the main back-up, and you also have Long available. Bodine won't even be on the team. Maybe you missed that strategy???

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Why do you think Morse is on doubt" And Feliciano has been the main back-up, and you also have Long available. Bodine won't even be on the team. Maybe you missed that strategy???

No, I didn't miss it. 

I also didn't miss that Feliciano has been a backup for four seasons, has averaged 2 starts per season, at guard, not center.  

I also didn't miss that Spencer Long is rated as below-average by PFF.  Which just oh, by the way, is worse than Bodine.  Unlike you I haven't watched all 16 Redskin games while specifically paying attention to Long's play for purposes of determining something else.  

So yeah, not at all impressed.  And if the strategy is to find a worse player to replace one whose play was inadequate, yes, you would be correct, I don't view that as much of a strategy.  

Edited by Ronin