Thad Brown: “Cody Ford Is Not A Starter For the Bills”

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I hope Ford starts. It would justify the trade up to get him, but I wouldn't be upset if he doesn't start. Best man wins. This also wouldn't make Ford a bust already. We picked up a ton of vets on the oline, have a ton of depth and they all have an equal chance to prove themselves. It wouldn't be such a bad thing for a vet to beat him out early in the process.

Totally agree. Ford and Dawkins are the future bookends of this O line. Providing quality depth while learning the craft is not a bad problem to have. Best man plays, if it's Ford, awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

For this gem on YouTube.  Rochester’s own Thaddeus Brown spends about 2 minutes talking about Josh allen and then rips Cody Ford.  He says he doesn’t like the pick and that unless there’s an injury he can’t see Cody starting all season long.  He just doesn’t seem to be much of a fan.

I disagree with Thad here and have Ford pencilled in to start at one of the guard spots.

This guy?  And we care about his football predictions why?

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/contact/bios/thad-brown/211085407

With a good OL, it's quite common for a rookie OLman to spend a year learning the NFL game and pursuing NFL level strength and conditioning.

We do have competition on the OL, but if Ford doesn't start this year, it doesn't mean he's a crap pick either.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, CNYfan said:

Doesn't Thad Tweet and report from the OTA's and mini-camps?

And there were some reports that Cody was getting beat regularly around the edge by Trent Murphy.  

Correct.  Ford has had a slow start (or suffers from slow starts off the snap) so far this spring.  Lots of time to turn it around but it wouldn’t shock me if he doesn’t begin the season as a starter.

50 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Doesn't Thad Tweet and report from the OTA's and mini-camps?

And there were some reports that Cody was getting beat regularly around the edge by Trent Murphy.  

Wonder what he says about Trent Murphy then 

• Like (+1) 1

It's pretty unlikely that Ford doesn't end up starting any games he's healthy for.  

To start, our OL-men otherwise really aren't much better than average.  

Secondly, of the 6 OL-men drafted last season, four started all 16 games, one started 10, Price on Cincy, but I think he missed those 6 due to injury, and Isaiah Wynn, whom I would have drafted last year, was injured before the season began.  

I didn't like the pick only because Risner was still there, with experience playing C, but otherwise he seems like a solid OL-man.  

IMO Ford's going to have a better career than Oliver.  

We could have had Wynn, Hilliard, Risner, and Lock.  IMO that OL along with Dawkins and Morse (assuming he could stay healthy) would have benefitted Allen something fierce.  

Edited by Ronin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

I can see Cody sitting for a couple of games early in the reg season due THE PROCESS.  Rooks just don't earn the start until McDermott can't say no.

Maybe, but who's he gotta beat out to start, Bodine?  Long?  

Not exactly Jim Ritcher there.  

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Because being the contrarian gets him noticed.

Welcome to 21st century media.

So true.  This thread is proof of it.

Thats what I like about Capaccio, for the most part he stays above that kind of crap.

Football fans know Ford was a top prospect, and at this point we haven't even had pads on for a minute.  Judging a guy at this point is the same as trying to grade a draft or a trade the day after it's made-- you have no freakin clue, and if you THINK you know it means you really understand nothing about the sport.

When someone says "i don't like this pick" I start laughing.  Yeah OK... let's compare the 10 page professional scouting report we did, including interviews with the player, former coaches, teammates, game film, and skills breakdowns with your amateurish opinion based on watching the guy play once or twice in college.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Everyone's got an opinion. 

We'll see whether he's right.

But in his defence, he's asked for a semi-bold prediction that fans aren't expecting. He says he hadn't thought about it. He then says he reserves the right to change his mind over the next month or two. And while the OP is right that he momentarily said that he predicts that Ford won't start all year long, he pulls that back at the end and his final prediction is that Ford isn't a starter week one.

This ain't a big deal.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He may not start right away. There is OL depth. 

Who though, that he has to beat out? 

I see Bodine and Long, two average linemen at best and on a good day.  I mean if he can't beat them out, I have to say, the pick then needs to be questioned.  

8 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I don't think that predicting Ford won't start week 1 is a stretch. I like the pick, but Nsekhe probably has a leg up in the competition just based on experience alone. We all want Ford to win the competition at RT and start, and I think most fans assume he will, but Brown was asked for a bold prediction and he gave one.

But who's your starting five then?  

I see Nsecke starting at RT, Morse has C as long as he can play, I guess Bodine if not, Dawkins likely at LT again, I'd guess Spain at one G and Cody at the other.  

I honestly, and contrary to the narrative here, don't see much after them that are starting material.  Who?  

7 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Maybe, but who's he gotta beat out to start, Bodine?  Long?  

Not exactly Jim Ritcher there.  

Maybe Ty Nsekhe, due to his experience?  I hope Cody locks it down and is one of those guys that you don't notice, as that means he is dominant.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Because being the contrarian gets him noticed.

Welcome to 21st century media.

Yup.  And anytime Ford has a less than stellar game, this clown will be the first one to say, "In June, I said Ford wasn't going to be good ...."

I wonder what his username is, here on TBD.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

If Cody Ford sits the bench as rookie, it probably means the vets we picked up are performing exceptionally.

They didn't perform exceptionally for the teams that they've been on.  In fact, other than for Morse, who again, is an injury risk, the others all played on bottom-dwelling offensive units.  

1 minute ago, ScotSHO said:

Maybe Ty Nsekhe, due to his experience?  I hope Cody locks it down and is one of those guys that you don't notice, as that means he is dominant.  

Don't you see Nsecke at RT tho?  Perhaps LT if Dawkins continues to struggle?  I mean we really don't have any great Ts on the team besides those two, and I wouldn't call either great.  I'd say that they're both above average, but not by much.  

Either way, Ford's more likely to start at G, dont' you think?  

But look at whom your starting 5 would be.  There really aren't many choices before you get into average or worse OL-men.