Friendly reminder. CFL starts this weekend

9 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Nice start for my Esks.

608 yards of offense. Too many penalties which is concerning but Trevor Harris had a great debut and looks like they’re gonna compete each week.

However. Montreal still had a chance to win and they’re going to be awful.

Tommy Sweeney will be playing for them soon

Back in 1960's Buffalo, long before cable you received three channels from Canada: 6, 9, and 11 and getting Montreal Expos Baseball and the CFL was a big deal!!! CFL just prepped you for the opening of training camp coming in late July at Blasdell or Niagara University!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, vorpma said:

Back in 1960's Buffalo, long before cable you received three channels from Canada: 6, 9, and 11 and getting Montreal Expos Baseball and the CFL was a big deal!!! CFL just prepped you for the opening of training camp coming in late July at Blasdell or Niagara University!

I remember channel 5 for some reason . Was there not a channel 5? 1970s and early 80s

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

I remember channel 5 for some reason . Was there not a channel 5? 1970s and early 80s

CBC Toronto was channel 6 from 1956-1972. In 1972, broadcasting was moved to channel 5.  This from Wikipedia, the reason for the shift I did not notice.  I vaguely recall something about channel interference, perhaps with the fledgling Global network, which did broadcast on channel 6 in some parts of Ontario.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

CBC Toronto was channel 6 from 1956-1972. In 1972, broadcasting was moved to channel 5.  This from Wikipedia, the reason for the shift I did not notice.  I vaguely recall something about channel interference, perhaps with the fledgling Global network, which did broadcast on channel 6 in some parts of Ontario.

Every now and then, if the winds were blowing right, we'd get CHEX Ch.3 out of Barrie in Buffalo.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Every now and then, if the winds were blowing right, we'd get CHEX Ch.3 out of Barrie in Buffalo.

The chimney mounted antenna on a rotor could do this at my northeast Buffalo home, but it had to be a clear morning.  I thought CHEX was Peterborough, and CKVR was Barrie, I may well be wrong.

City TV was on channel 57 accessible by antenna for the interesting content late Saturday nights

31 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The chimney mounted antenna on a rotor could do this at my northeast Buffalo home, but it had to be a clear morning.  I thought CHEX was Peterborough, and CKVR was Barrie, I may well be wrong.

Barrie was always CKVR

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think you're right. What's the Barrie station? EDIT: Looked it up: CKVR Ch.3 is Barrie.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think you're right. What's the Barrie station? EDIT: Looked it up: CKVR Ch.3 is Barrie.

They’re now part of CTV / Bell, and if I recall correctly, market themselves as CTV Barrie.  One thing going for them, they did retain a local newscast.

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They’re now part of CTV / Bell, and if I recall correctly, market themselves as CTV Barrie.  One thing going for them, they did retain a local newscast.

Cottage country.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think the NFL should start the season earlier.

Well there is a push for 18 games, knocking off two preseason. Not sure that's a good idea, player wear and tear and all. They could just add a second be week.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well there is a push for 18 games, knocking off two preseason. Not sure that's a good idea, player wear and tear and all. They could just add a second be week.

I’d be in favor of a shorter preseason 16 weeks but start and end the season sooner.  Going on through to February is too long.  Finish right after the New Year.