Zay Jones wins Bills' team training award

5 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I just want to see us consistently move the chains and I think Zay has shown that his hands are getting softer and he can be a decent possession guy. Adding Beasley will be another nice underneath shifty wide out that the bills have been lacking for a while now. Having Brown and Foster flying down the field will give our big armed QB plenty of opportunity to take his shots. If we gameplan right who is the defense gonna key on. Having a superstar diva WR gives defenses a target and then you hope to have decent complimentary players to take the heat from. Having all complimentary players should give us allot of man to man and a good chance to spread the ball around.

Absolutely, 

Josh Allen in all likelihood throws with the highest velocity in the NFL. Allen has a cannon and is not afraid to use it. Developing chemistry with Josh Allen is not an easy thing to do IMO. Its something both Foster and Jones have a good head start on and I'm expecting them to build on it.

Fan of my fellow poster Alpha,

I think being wrong about Zay Jones if it helps Josh Allen take the next step into becoming a franchise QB.

It would be a big plate of crow the Dawgy would be happy to eat. ( Buffalo wing sauce) 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Absolutely, 

Josh Allen in all likelihood throws with the highest velocity in the NFL. Allen has a cannon and is not afraid to use it. Developing chemistry with Josh Allen is not an easy thing to do IMO. Its something both Foster and Jones have a good head start on and I'm expecting them to build on it.

Fan of my fellow poster Alpha,

I think being wrong about Zay Jones if it helps Josh Allen take the next step into becoming a franchise QB.

It would be a big plate of crow the Dawgy would be happy to eat. ( Buffalo wing sauce) 

...NICELY done 'Fig...........:thumbsup:....I'm in............

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I hope people paid close attention to the statement about 3rd year WRs.  I have been saying this for some time now.

It used to be 3 years with the amount of practice sessions you could have. Now I think it is more like 4 or 5. Players like Zay who pass the eye test and are well above average athletically sometimes take the longest to learn the playbook forward and back. The QB/WR relationship is based on so many things but mainly it’s repetition and trust. 

Allen is going to have a lot more options to throw to this year and he should have more time to throw. If Jones does take that 3rd year leap he could have a very good year. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Yikes.    Google Juju highlights 

The guy CATCHES footballs and runs places after he catches them.    You can put blind faith in stonehands, I’m good.  

He has confused you by harnessing the Tyrod theorem.

( good vs Dolphins and worthless vs everyone else) 

Yeah, those highlight reels are really informative.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What does body composition have to do with catching the ball? Yes it takes WRs a while to develop route running and understanding the defense. It doesn't take three years to learn how to catch the ball. Would be awesome if he has a breakout year. 

That said, what is Zay?  He isn't a #1 nor a slot guy. That makes him at best a #2 possession WR that moves the chains.  Best case scenario for Zay is he plays #2 and Brown and Foster split time at #1.  Best case scenario for the Bills is he is a #4 and Brown, Foster, and Beasley are the top trio.

One advantage Zay may have is he seems to be a willing blocker. I don't know about the others. That may earn Zay some snaps in formations that look run heavy but have run / pass options. 

You kind of touched on it yourself when you say "he seems to be a willing blocker." That's a bigger part of being a WR (especially being further down the depth chart) than a lot of people realize. But, I also think that if you take an honest look at Jones' strengths vs. weaknesses, increasing his upper body strength could go a long way in improving his weaknesses, including coming down with contested balls, and maybe improving his catch radius. 

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You could use stats as well if you wanted to.  

It’s not really a debate at all.   

Sure it is.

If you are just going to rely on stats, then you're ignoring Real McCoy's point that Juju had a future HOF QB throwing him the ball and Antonio Brown on the other side of the field drawing the stronger coverage. That's not an irrelevant point. And, in fact, their drop rates are both average. Jones had 3 drops out of 102 targets and 56 receptions. Juju had 6 drops out of 166 targets, and 111 receptions. But, even those numbers, without the context of who they were playing with, are a meaningless comparison.

If you want to rely on the googled highlight reel, well then you're just being silly. Jones has one of those, too, and it makes him look pretty good. I actually just watched both, just to see what I'd see, and I was struck by how often the Bills pass plays are broken up in under two seconds, and Allen had to flee the pocket. You can't say that also didn't have an effect on how many catchable balls Allen threw.

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, White Linen said:

Touchdowns are good but it's sad that we think 70/800 is good enough.  

Context is everything.  Those might be great numbers depending on the offense and how the ball is spread around.  100 catches and 1500 yards are great numbers, but no guarantee they will lead to a team winning a chip.   Who is the Pats 1500 yard, 100 catch receiver?  

What im saying is that there are many ways to win, and one way does not fit all.  Too many seem concerned with stats.  Be concerned with wins.  F the rest.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Context is everything.  Those might be great numbers depending on the offense and how the ball is spread around.  100 catches and 1500 yards are great numbers, but no guarantee they will lead to a team winning a chip.   Who is the Pats 1500 yard, 100 catch receiver?  

What im saying is that there are many ways to win, and one way does not fit all.  Too many seem concerned with stats.  Be concerned with wins.  F the rest.

I think there seems to be an affliction in the offseason to start relying on stats, and game logs without applying any context whatsoever (not saying White Linen was doing this). There's just not enough to watch in the offseason, and a lot of context is lost in video recaps-- even more so in highlights. This is the time of year for meaningless predictions with little to no substantiation. Straw man arguments abound! Hard to have an honest debate this time of year. It's only going to get worse over the next month until TC, when we will have more specific things to debate.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

My feeling is that the ball is spread around to all the receivers/TEs/RBs and that we have a diversified attack.   70/800 is good if everyone is getting touches. 

Edelman was 74/850 for example.  That is not sad. 

You do know Edelman only played 12 games. Right?

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I hope people paid close attention to the statement about 3rd year WRs.  I have been saying this for some time now.

Except that myth is both historical and statically false and has been disproved many times over the last 20 years since its origination from fantasy football.  

A WR can certainly breakout in year 3, and plenty have and will continue to.  But what is false is the statement that it is more likely in year 3 over any other year.  Odds are higher in either year 1 or 2 than year 3.

And glad Zay put the work in the gym.  But now I just want to see it translate to better play on the field and a lot more consistency.  Hope it does, be great if he can take a big step forward and become a reliable weapon for Josh.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except that myth is both historical and statically false and has been disproved many times over the last 20 years since its origination from fantasy football.  

A WR can certainly breakout in year 3, and plenty have and will continue to.  But what is false is the statement that it is more likely in year 3 over any other year.  Odds are higher in either year 1 or 2 than year 3.

And glad Zay put the work in the gym.  But now I just want to see it translate to better play on the field and a lot more consistency.  Hope it does, be great if he can take a big step forward and become a reliable weapon for Josh.  

Wrong answer brother Ive researched it.  It is accurate and factual.  It's ok to admit you were wrong dude.  Because you are and Zay will definitely be on the Roster.  BTW it has been around longer than fantasy football as have I.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Sure it is.

If you are just going to rely on stats, then you're ignoring Real McCoy's point that Juju had a future HOF QB throwing him the ball and Antonio Brown on the other side of the field drawing the stronger coverage. That's not an irrelevant point. And, in fact, their drop rates are both average. Jones had 3 drops out of 102 targets and 56 receptions. Juju had 6 drops out of 166 targets, and 111 receptions. But, even those numbers, without the context of who they were playing with, are a meaningless comparison.

If you want to rely on the googled highlight reel, well then you're just being silly. Jones has one of those, too, and it makes him look pretty good. I actually just watched both, just to see what I'd see, and I was struck by how often the Bills pass plays are broken up in under two seconds, and Allen had to flee the pocket. You can't say that also didn't have an effect on how many catchable balls Allen threw.

Sounds good.     You could just watch all the Steelers and Bills games like I have done.  

You win the JFH trophy for the day.    

Stop bringing up silly highlight reels.   Juju is a killer, Zay is a guy who might start.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Sounds good.     You could just watch all the Steelers and Bills games like I have done.  

You win the JFH trophy for the day.    

Stop bringing up silly highlight reels.   Juju is a killer, Zay is a guy who might start.  

Don't know what a JFH trophy is.

You brought up the highlight reels.

Kinda doubt Zay will start.

Wish my autocorrect would stop changing "Zay" into "Say."