Per Chris Brown, Dion Dawkins has a “virtual lock on the starting LT position”

12 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

If there is a real reason to say that Dawkins has the job locked down, it is because he earned it. Which is rather hard to do for an offensive lineman without pads on. 

If I am not mistaken, Levi Wallace played the CB spot opposite White in OTAs, as well. Does that mean Wallace has that CB spot “locked down?”

I don’t know. I didn’t hear the whole show, he may have said something about that position but everything I’ve read is that he does not have it locked down and that Kevin Johnson is making a strong push for that spot. 

The LT position is different from the CB position in that Nsecke is probably Dawkins’ main competition and he missed a lot of OTAs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know. I didn’t hear the whole show, he may have said something about that position but everything I’ve read is that he does not have it locked down and that Kevin Johnson is making a strong push for that spot. 

Which is a good problem to have.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The LT position is different from the CB position in that Nsecke is probably Dawkins’ main competition and he missed a lot of OTAs. 

I know. The reason I brought up Wallace was just to draw into question Dawkins' "lock" on the LT position based on where he has been positioned during OTAs without pads on. I have a hard time believing that there is even a lot of actual competition going on for O-line position until TC. I think there is probably more opportunity to compete for D backfield positions during OTAs based on what happens in 11-on-11s, for example, as there are more meaningful things happening in those positions, as opposed to linemen who are not allowed to do the biggest part of their job. Is there any chance that Dawkins has already outperformed Nsekhe? I don't see how.

So, to say the Dawkins has the LT position "locked down" is making the assumption that either Nsekhe has no chance to outperform him in TC, or that McD won't care. I wouldn't bank on either of those things.

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I know. The reason I brought up Wallace was just to draw into question Dawkins' "lock" on the LT position based on where he has been positioned during OTAs without pads on. I have a hard time believing that there is even a lot of actual competition going on for O-line position until TC. I think there is probably more opportunity to compete for D backfield positions during OTAs based on what happens in 11-on-11s, for example, as there are more meaningful things happening in those positions, as opposed to linemen who are not allowed to do the biggest part of their job. Is there any chance that Dawkins has already outperformed Nsekhe? I don't see how.

So, to say the Dawkins has the LT position "locked down" is making the assumption that either Nsekhe has no chance to outperform him in TC, or that McD won't care. I wouldn't bank on either of those things.

That’s actually not all of what he based it on. I can’t remember everything he said. You can pull it up on wgr on demand. I give it credence since he’s employed by the team and isn’t going to throw out baseless opinions or wrong info other than what he’s told to say or allowed to say. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, TigerJ said:

So, Dawkins and Morse are written in stone.  I think Spencer Long is close to being a lock at left guard.  That means right guard and tackle are not certain.  I think Bodine is a likely cut.  Feliciano is likely an interior backup, having the ability to play guard and center.  Right guard will be between Spain and Teller to start.  I think Ford might have an advantage at right tackle over Nsekhe, because Nsekhe gives you a two year starter, and then you're having to break in a new starter.  Ford might give you some long term continuity.  At right guard, Spain gives you a mauler.  Teller is potentially a little more athletic.

Well, Nsekhe is already 33 years old.  Not sure I understand why the Bills gave him that huge 2 year contract.

$14.5 million and $7.7 million guaranteed.

6 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Well, Nsekhe is already 33 years old.  Not sure I understand why the Bills gave him that huge 2 year contract.

$14.5 million and $7.7 million guaranteed.

Two obvious reasons:

1. They weren't sure how the draft would play out and couldn't assume they would be able to draft Ford or any other decent RT.

2. Cap space isnt even remotely an issue this season or next.

I think the BIG positive in all this discussion is the Bills can now experiment and actually out the best five OL people out there.

It seems every one of them (except Morse, he's a lock at Center) are able to play multiple positions. This group has real on-field diversity. With that, find the other top four guys then figure out how to best line them up.

Related, while not a major concern, the one disappointment out of OTAs is the many injuries to O-linemen. It suspect it slowed down the process of accessing who could best fit where. We'll see once Training Camp opens, but for now I would bet it's the best four after Morse--then figure out the best place to put each.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

I put very little stock in what Chris Brown says - and you should as well.  With that being said, I think he’s probably right here though.

Chris Brown is not going to make any proclamations without the seal of approval of the Bill's.  If he says it, its happening.

With that said, I find the statement odd and to be honest counterproductive.  Dawkins shouldn't be handed anything, he regressed and the fear of losing his starting position should remain as a motivator.