Per Chris Brown, Dion Dawkins has a “virtual lock on the starting LT position”

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

As expected. No surprise whatsoever, to me at least. I thought the opinions of moving him inside were crazy talk.

And you believe that Dawkins would take LG money if we move him there? He would absolutely want to leave and get paid as a LT by another team. He's shown he can play LT in this league.

I have no idea.  What I do know is that you better be willing to pay him $17M/year to play LT here, since he's got more starts at LT than Trent Brown did when he got paid stupid money in FA.

I also know that if you aren't prepared to pay him that, then you need to find a better LT.

As to what I think: I think that if you move him to LG and he ends up being a better guard than a tackle, you can justify paying him $12M/year to play LG.  If you pay him $17M/year and he's a middling LT, then that's just a poor usage of resources at one of the 5 premium salaried positions in the game.

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Chris Brown's "tidbits" are more valuable that McBean's pressers.  "Gotta watch the tape", etc comes from McDermott while we get actual information from Brown.

Can we put Brown in front of the press at the end of games instead of McDermott?

As a coach, McDermott is responsible to his players and bosses, and has to be more circumspect.

As a reporter, Brown is responsible to his editors, and doesn't have to be circumspect at all.  

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I have no idea.  What I do know is that you better be willing to pay him $17M/year to play LT here, since he's got more starts at LT than Trent Brown did when he got paid stupid money in FA.

I also know that if you aren't prepared to pay him that, then you need to find a better LT.

As to what I think: I think that if you move him to LG and he ends up being a better guard than a tackle, you can justify paying him $12M/year to play LG.  If you pay him $17M/year and he's a middling LT, then that's just a poor usage of resources at one of the 5 premium salaried positions in the game.

And my point is he'll never settle for LG money. So it doesn't matter if you can justify paying him $12 mil a year to play guard. Him and his agent will find someone to pay him like a LT.

He played well his rookie year and digressed his 2nd year. I don't blame him because he had scrubs to line up with. I want to see him this year with better talent around him. If he holds his own you pay him. There simply aren't enough good or even average olinemen to go around in the league.

No surprise as Beane said in May he'd start at LT this offseason and then possibly move him if necessary.  Chris Brown's reports mean nothing at this point.

In college, Dawkins played guard, not tackle. He has position flex.

Speaking to the team’s radio station, Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane recently highlighted Dawkins’ position flexibility recently. Beane said Dawkins will continue to start at left tackle early in the offseason, like he has, but Beane also acknowledged Dawkins’ experience at guard as well.

“Well, similar to what I’m saying about Cody. We’ll start Dion out at where he’s at left [tackle] competing,” Beane said. “He’ll work around, we won’t just… we’re going to move these guys around and give them shots at different spots. At the end of the day, again the best five.

“Dion can play guard, he has the ability, I have no doubt he could slide in there and do that. We’ll see how it shakes out, but he’ll start, right now, at left tackle where he played the last two seasons.”

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

And my point is he'll never settle for LG money. So it doesn't matter if you can justify paying him $12 mil a year to play guard. Him and his agent will find someone to pay him like a LT.

He played well his rookie year and digressed his 2nd year. I don't blame him because he had scrubs to line up with. I want to see him this year with better talent around him. If he holds his own you pay him. There simply aren't enough good or even average olinemen to go around in the league.

Not sure that's true.  Sure, he may want to be paid like a tackle, but it's not exactly a rarity for a tackle to get moved to guard and subsequently paid like a guard.  Off the top of my head I can tell you that it's happened with Rodger Saffold, Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, and James Carpenter.

Point is: if you are going to pay him like a LT, then great, leave him at LT.  If you aren't going to pay him like a LT, then wouldn't you at least entertain the possibility of getting better play out of him at guard in the hope that he'll stay there long-term?  I mean, the difference between guard money and tackle money isn't much these days anyway; 2 of the 10 highest paid OLmen in the NFL are guards.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....seems a bit strange for McDermott to make "anything official" at this juncture.......

He hasn’t ... technically. But I doubt Chris Brown says what he said on radio today without some type of message from the team to do so, or OK to do so 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He hasn’t ... technically. But I doubt Chris Brown says what he said on radio today without some type of message from the team to do so, or OK to do so 

...LOL.....CB the "official leaker"....got it............:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Dawkins had ZERO (I will repeat) zero competition last year.  Conor McDermott and Marshall Newhouse had no chance of unseating him.

He spent the whole year on a very bad OL.  Dawkins knows he has to be better this year and has come to camp wanting to be the long

term answer at LT.  The LT position is his until someone can surpass him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Brown is on One Bills Live and doing a dissertation on Dawkins having that role locked down... as a mouthpiece for the team, I’d say unless he screws up off the field or otherwise we can put that discussion to rest of him moving positions.

Makes perfect sense.  Unlikely Ford's ready or capable of starting there and none of the newbies are better than Dawkins.  

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I can pick any lock on the market, I have a unique skill

Image result for picking a lock gif

dude

that was a game i spent too much time on. but would do it again next winterfell

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

yep :  )

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Brown is on One Bills Live and doing a dissertation on Dawkins having that role locked down... as a mouthpiece for the team, I’d say unless he screws up off the field or otherwise we can put that discussion to rest of him moving positions.

I put very little stock in what Chris Brown says - and you should as well.  With that being said, I think he’s probably right here though.

4 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I put very little stock in what Chris Brown says - and you should as well.  With that being said, I think he’s probably right here though.

Why is that?  He’s employed by the team...  whether you agree with what he’s saying or not, it’s probably happening if he’s saying it 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why is that?  He’s employed by the team...  whether you agree with what he’s saying or not, it’s probably happening if he’s saying it 

I thought Nsekhe was a virtual lock at RT until we drafted Ford.  Now I wonder if Ford starts at RG/LG to get all 3 on the field?