Bills SJF Camp schedule

9 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this post from PFT sums it up nicely.....alienate the Rochester and points east/south markets?.......because McDermott says so?...hmmmm......

EJ says:

The Rochester market makes up 31% of all Bills season ticket sales.
Buffalo makes up 68%… and 1% from outside of Buffalo and Rochester areas. Rochester has been a big part of keeping the stadium full throughout the drought… Why change something that has been working out well? Rochester fans enjoy training camp at St John Fisher… It makes up a little for having to drive the hour to two hours (depending on the weather) for each home game.

Nah I want the players to use the new facilities. Need them to be tip top, in the end if they are healthy and winning no one gives a crap where camp is.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was raised there, and left in '84. My mom still lives in the house I was born in, and I'll be visiting her, with my family, this summer. I would move back there in a heartbeat, too, if I could. It really is a nice place to live, and raise a family. One of the things I miss the most, having lived in Los Angeles since '91? The weather!

Are you really under the impression that the Bills have been training at tiny St, John Fisher College for the last 19 years because they couldn't find another venue closer? The distance is the point.

I think the number would be fairly minimal. I also believe that as the team trends up, those numbers would be meaningless, anyway. But, I cannot possibly believe that the Bills have ever even considered using SJF College all these years as a marketing ploy. A lot of hay has been made about team building, etc, and the benefits of having the team a certain distance from home. I firmly believe that they have been training in Rochester for all these years because they want to train in Rochester, regardless of its effect on the fanbase. And, they have said as much. 

Weird how Russ Brandon was able to keep them In Rochester for 19 years.

Absolutely agree. 

But, I suspect that McD likes having the team living together, and being away from their homes for TC. That seems like the kind of team building environment that would appeal to him, and I take him at his word that there are fewer practices there because of their practice schedule out of state. And, I sometimes suspect that McD would rather be the HC of the Panthers.

What's weird about it?  He was the CMO & then the team President/CEO.  He wanted to build the ties to Ra-cha-cha AND help his Alma Mater.  Training at Fisher was a Win win for him.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:38 PM, hemma said:

They dump sjf, it will be a tough sell in rochester and when they try to sell it, not sure i’ll be buying.

Cut.

Even if the Bills get good?  It's not like the Browns, Giants or Jets will swoop in with their own camp. You'll get over it.

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this post from PFT sums it up nicely.....alienate the Rochester and points east/south markets?.......because McDermott says so?...hmmmm......

EJ says:

Buffalo makes up 68%… and 1% from outside of Buffalo and Rochester areas. Rochester has been a big part of keeping the stadium full throughout the drought… Why change something that has been working out well? Rochester fans enjoy training camp at St John Fisher… It makes up a little for having to drive the hour to two hours (depending on the weather) for each home game.

I thought Southern Ontario was a significant portion, like 15%. 

https://theathletic.com/1028478/2019/06/14/why-the-buffalo-bills-are-once-again-scaling-back-their-training-camp-time-in-rochester/

The trend is moving away from outside training camps. 

"The Bills are one of nine teams in the NFL that still go away for training camp. What was once the norm is now the exception."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 6/16/2019 at 5:54 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

June 15, 2019 at 12:37 pm

These numbers don't sound legit...I think Rochester is at around 30% but they must get more than one percent from Syracuse/Albany/Ontario.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, but they will be done once the SJF contract expires. Then camp will be at OBD.

Yep, they're doing the minimal required until the contract is done.  Since I don't live up there it doesn't matter to me either way, but I completely understand wanting to keep camp in Orchard Park given what they've done to enhance the facilities there.

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

These numbers don't sound legit...I think Rochester is at around 30% but they must get more than one percent from Syracuse/Albany/Ontario.

So. Ontario was cited as 15% last I saw.

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep, they're doing the minimal required until the contract is done.  Since I don't live up there it doesn't matter to me either way, but I completely understand wanting to keep camp in Orchard Park given what they've done to enhance the facilities there.

I wonder if they can buy out SJF for the remainder  of the contract?

1 hour ago, eball said:

Probably right.  $20 million for a state of the art indoor training/rehab room needs to be used as much as possible.  

The team is barely in Rochester more than a week now.  It's not worth all the work.  

Who's getting off of work to drive to Rochester bright and early, to watch your team shuffle around on the field for 90 minutes?  The night workouts at least had some flare, some pizzazz.  Go downtown, get dinner, make a night of it.  Now McDermott's "night practice" at 6:15 pm in early August is back at OBD.

Training Camp as an entertainment product is no longer any sort of event.  It's just an obligatory thing to appease corporate sponsors Connors & Ferris.  

Futhermore, the SJF campus is NOT welcoming to fans.  Come on, you can't even park in their dozens of lots in the middle of summer when there's no regular classes?  You have to drive 20 minutes away in a public school lot to wait in line for a bus, to wait in line to get in, to not get a seat, to stand over a hill, to sorta see for 10 minutes. Practice is over.  Drive home at 12 pm.  it's pretty stupid, to be honest.

There's no middle ground either.  Let's move it to, where?  UB North?  Why do that when you can just do it at One Bills Drive?  Plenty of parking, fans can tailgate.  Better sight lines.  

Don't be surprised to see Training Camp eventually move back to Orchard Park, and even become fully closed practices.  The team has 5 open practices in 11 days or whatever it is.  You really need "tickets" to attend a workout at 9:45 AM on a Sunday? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Even if the Bills get good?  It's not like the Browns, Giants or Jets will swoop in with their own camp. You'll get over it.

I thought Southern Ontario was a significant portion, like 15%

https://theathletic.com/1028478/2019/06/14/why-the-buffalo-bills-are-once-again-scaling-back-their-training-camp-time-in-rochester/

The trend is moving away from outside training camps. 

"The Bills are one of nine teams in the NFL that still go away for training camp. What was once the norm is now the exception."

...makes much more sense.......even if 10%, it's roughly 7,000 fans..................

Sounds like they will be closing up shop in SJF within a couple years.  I don't mind.  As others have said, it's mostly been a losing era of football since they've held it there. I get to Buffalo once or twice a summer and it would be nice to see a Bills practice locally. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

It's sounding like there might be some joint practices with the Panthers in Carolina between games 1 and 2.

Wow where have I been?

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/report-buffalo-bills-and-carolina-panthers-to-hold-joint-practices-in-south-carolina

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Just to contrast, Skins to have 22 sessions open to the public at their off-site camp in Richmond:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/5/24/18638948/redskins-training-camp-schedule-22-practice-sessions-open-to-the-public

Well, 9 are walkthroughs.  But I'm not sure why they're limiting training camp days because of a potential move in a few years. 

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Just to contrast, Skins to have 22 sessions open to the public at their off-site camp in Richmond:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/5/24/18638948/redskins-training-camp-schedule-22-practice-sessions-open-to-the-public

Are they still charging for parking and admission?

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are they still charging for parking and admission?

Looks like parking is $10 but admission is free.

https://redskinsrva.bonsecours.com/training-camp/parking

That said, I'd rather pay $10 and walk to the venue than wait in line for a bus, pay a buck, and wait in line for a ride back after practice.  

• Like (+1) 1

its a growing trend 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Anyone know when TC tickets become available?

D9B8FdaXUAI0ZAU.jpg:large

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-bills-fans-should-know-about-the-2019-connors-and-ferris-training-camp-sche

*Ticket required

Further details on ticketing information for practices at St. John Fisher College as well as ‘The Return of the Blue & Red’ presented by Bud Light at New Era Field, will be announced on a later date. Information will be available and updated throughout training camp on the Bills’ social media channels and  buffalobills.com . Additionally, for answers to frequently asked questions, visit here.

Please note that all practice times are subject to change. Facilities open one hour before practice begins.

• Thank you (+1) 1