High School Graduation Speech

12 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Cynical, snide and the high school class valedictorian.

Hope that's not the best 5 minutes in her life.

But, in some places a B- gets you privileges! 

Oh, relax....I kid! 

Even my wife agrees with me on this one. I may have to re-think my position.............. OK, I’m still in the same place. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

But, in some places a B- gets you privileges! 

Oh, relax....I kid! 

Even my wife agrees with me on this one. I may have to re-think my position.............. OK, I’m still in the same place. 

She spoke English "well" she's in the 40% of the community.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, what does that have to do with the content of her speech? 

Nothing. She is valedictorian.  She is in minority.  Has to be a struggling community.  Median income is $38k... Average $49k.  That's pretty damn low for an average of 4 to a house.  Per capita has got to be in terms or 20s!

Check out the house prices!!! Gotta be bleeding them... What the he'll are they paying these do nothing teachers who probably commute in.  Remember, only 40% speak English well!  

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nothing. She is valedictorian.  She is in minority.  Has to be a struggling community.  Median income is $38k... Average $49k.  That's pretty damn low for an average of 4 to a house.  Per capita has got to be in terms or 20s!

Check out the house prices!!! Gotta be bleeding them... What the he'll are they paying these do nothing teachers who probably commute in.  Remember, only 40% speak English well!  

So you are upset over people living in unfortunate circumstances. Who isn’t? That is unrelated to her speech.  

Just now, Augie said:

So you are upset over people living in unfortunate circumstances. Who isn’t? That is unrelated to her speech.  

No.

Not upset at all.  I applaud her because if she acted "classy" it would get buried.  Unfortunate people in unfortunate places always get looked over.  Why would you want to bury this pervasive problem.

San Ysidro ain't the only place.  We are living the educational wasteland horror story here.  High priced teachers with zero interest in the community they serve.  AND, it is blatantly communicated to the children.

No.

Not upset at all.  I applaud her because if she acted "classy" it would get buried.  Unfortunate people in unfortunate places always get looked over.  Why would you want to bury this pervasive problem.

San Ysidro ain't the only place.  We are living the educational wasteland horror story here.  High priced teachers with zero interest in the community they serve.  AND, it is blatantly communicated to the children.

Let’s find common ground and hope she can do well enough to climb out of it. Maybe then, if she still feels strongly, she and others can go about fixing it. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Let’s find common ground and hope she can do well enough to climb out of it. Maybe then, if she still feels strongly, she and others can go about fixing it. 

Of course.  This isn't a career killer.  This is a career maker!

They will be clamoring for the "girl with gumption."

Go about fixing it?  How?  Did you see?  There are $300k homes in San Yisidro for family incomes that are $40k.

Huh?  The banks are working them to death.  No wonder the families have imploded.  Yet, this girl makes it out of the usury environment and doesn't know her guidance counsellor until Senior Year when she will be valedictorian.

Yes... You too can be Michael Jordan!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure!  He is the leader of the free world.  People see the results he gets.  /smh

Are you're suggesting that the valedictorian from San Ysidro  and the salutatorian offspring of a TBD poster are both champions of the leader of the free world? 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Are you're suggesting that the valedictorian from San Ysidro  and the salutatorian offspring of a TBD poster are both champions of the leader of the free world? 

No.  But the POTUS sets a national tone.  Vibe.  It surely works for him. Of course people will follow the example!

THIS is now the proper forum (what she has done).

Don't... Get me wrong.  I hate it.  But if it works, so be it.  I am not scared for this kid one bit! She has been on "record mode."

Of course.  This isn't a career killer.  This is a career maker!

Go about fixing it?  How?  Did you see?  There are $300k homes in San Yisidro for family incomes that are $40k.

Huh?  The banks are working them to death.  No wonder the families have imploded.  Yet, this girl makes it out of the usury environment and doesn't know her guidance counsellor until Senior Year when she will be valedictorian.

She will need scholarships, and she can learn a LOT about something. It may be tech or biochemistry, it may be economics. If it’s economics, she might want to wait and buy into all the foreclosures selling at a fraction of their value, then bring in some jobs via the jobs she creates in the tech field. 

Here’s another idea......don’t have kids you can’t afford. Don’t buy houses you can’t afford. Don’t blame the banks. I was a banker for decades. We didn’t lie, cheat or steal, but people borrowing from us often did to get what they wanted. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

She will need scholarships, and she can learn a LOT about something. It may be tech or biochemistry, it may be economics. If it’s economics, she might want to wait and buy into all the foreclosures selling at a fraction of their value, then bring in some jobs via the jobs she creates in the tech field. 

Here’s another idea......don’t have kids you can’t afford. Don’t buy houses you can’t afford. Don’t blame the banks. I was a banker for decades. We didn’t lie, cheat or steal, but people borrowing from us often did to get what they wanted. 

Did you see where she mentioned they failed her on scholarships?

And fair enough.  On last part.   Yet, you were compensated well.   People need to move.  Pick up their two feet and out of the high priced environment.  That's the one thing we got going here.

My eyes almost bugged out when I seen a dump going for $960k... That must be a wrong picture.  That looks like $60k here.

Anyway... She did well following the POTUS strategy of blasting off the cuff.  Sadly, she will go far, this stuff sells.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did you see where she mentioned they failed her on scholarships?

And fair enough.  On last part.   Yet, you were compensated well.   People need to move.  Pick up their two feet and out of the high priced environment.  That's the one thing we got going here.

My eyes almost bugged out when I seen a dump going for $960k... That must be a wrong picture.  That looks like $60k here.

Anyway... She did well following the POTUS strategy of blasting off the cuff.  Sadly, she will go far, this stuff sells.

I had zero “scholarship” or any kind of guidance help from a really good private school. Nor did my kids get “quality” help. It’s on YOU. Why are you waiting on people to tell you what to do? YOU are supposed to be the smartest in the class, but YOU can’t figure it out? Even in college, my son knew the advisors couldn’t be counted on to guide him through 2 undergrad degrees and a masters. 

Stop pointing the finger, start taking responsibility! Only THEN will you start getting ahead. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not asking for her to “shut up”. It would be better advised to act with class.  There are other forums to actually get something positive accomplished. 

Again, what did you think of Michael Jordan, while being recognized for his greatness, stooping to using the stage to put someone else down? 

I’ll let her off because she earned the moment, she’s a kid and she may not have had much guidance at home (if the demographic thing you mentioned is accurate). I’m not loving spiteful behavior, though. Be bigger than that. 

I hated the administration of our kids private HS. I voiced that and tried to improve things in ways I felt appropriate. It was expensive, and they failed in many ways. But I would not have been pleased if my son had that venue and took that approach. 

If someone attends a funeral for a person who was a miserable SOB and in life conducted himself in a classless and dishonorable manner is it appropriate for someone to go to the podium at the service and state how this world has become a better place now that it is minus this asssshole? I would go so far as to say even among the attendees it would be classless to speak ill of the embalmed fool at the services. The point is that there is a time and place where what you say is appropriate and a time and place where it is not. 

As others have pointed out this school and  system was very flawed. But highlighting those flaws instead of highlighting the efforts of most of the staff and the supportive families took away some of the joy and reasons to celebrate on this special occasions. The focus should have been on the accomplishments of the graduates who had to endure challenges that a lot of other communities are not subjected to. 

I'm not suggesting that the valedictorian should have been censored. This was her speech and she earned the right to be at the podium. But as I said before just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that it is appropriate to do so. Good judgment can't always be defined. But when you see it in practice you recognize it; and when you don't see it in practice you also can recognize it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'm assuming your facts about home prices and family incomes in San Ysidro are accurate. Do you know what the valedictorians family income is? Do the own or rent? Without that info some of your assertions seem presumptive.

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If someone attends a funeral for a person who was a miserable SOB and in life conducted himself in a classless and dishonorable manner is it appropriate for someone to go to the podium at the service and state how this world has become a better place now that it is minus this asssshole? I would go so far as to say even among the attendees it would be classless to speak ill of the embalmed fool at the services. The point is that there is a time and place where what you say is appropriate and a time and place where it is not. 

As others have pointed out this school and  system was very flawed. But highlighting those flaws instead of highlighting the efforts of most of the staff and the supportive families took away some of the joy and reasons to celebrate on this special occasions. The focus should have been on the accomplishments of the graduates who had to endure challenges that a lot of other communities are not subjected to. 

I'm not suggesting that the valedictorian should have been censored. This was her speech and she earned the right to be at the podium. But as I said before just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that it is appropriate to do so. Good judgment can't always be defined. But when you see it in practice you recognize it; and when you don't see it in practice you also can recognize it. 

I guess you never heard of an "Irish Funeral."

Anyway... I hear you.  But I disagree.  These kids get that this BS means nothing.  It's an open environment.  They won't be shamed into decorum.

Decorum has been thrown out the window.  This will probably get her farther.  Again... /smh

You think she finds "joy" in this rigged system?

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I guess you never heard of an "Irish Funeral."

Anyway... I hear you.  But I disagree.  These kids get that this BS means nothing.  It's an open environment.  They won't be shamed into decorum.

Decorum has been thrown out the window.  This will probably get her farther.  Again... /smh

You think she finds "joy" in this rigged system?

We have a difference in opinion that won't be reconciled. I do believe in decorum. In my view certain behavior may be appropriate in one setting but not necessarily in another. That adjustment to the setting and situation doesn't translate into compromising one's principles. It falls within the realm of civility. Some people believe that it is acceptable to shout down a speaker with whom you disagree with. I don't. What I find bothersome is that there is a self-centered mind-set that crimps the expression of others. You might find that liberating while I find it to be stifling. If you want to expand the circle you do it by respectfully engaging with people you disagree with. Subduing them gets you nowhere other than intensifying the passions. 

We just simply disagree on this issue. 

• Like (+1) 1