High School Graduation Speech

Kind of liked her speech. Gave credit by name to those that had a positive influence. Didn't mention names of those that she blasted, just pointed out that she also learned some valuable life lessons from them. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Kind of liked her speech. Gave credit by name to those that had a positive influence. Didn't mention names of those that she blasted, just pointed out that she also learned some valuable life lessons from them. 

Exactly!!!

Welcome to the real world.  Loved the part about the "guidance counsellors." I am wondering how much they are paying them to bus teachers in from far away places?

From Wiki:

Demographics.  Per capita income is even mentioned.  Just this:

"In 2010 the census counted 28,008 people in San Ysidro of which 93% were Hispanic. Of those over 5 years old, 10% spoke only English, 87% spoke Spanish. 60% spoke Spanish and spoke English "well" or "very well."

There is a time and a place to point out the inequities and challenges that students have to contend with. Instead of publicly singling out the less than diligent and supportive staff she should have focused more on those staff who supported the students through their challenging journey. This was a time to be uplifting and positive. Her speech is receiving notoriety not for publicly thanking those who were helpful but because of her remarks about those who were not supportive.

The valedictorian can say whatever she wants to say. It's her speech. But the end result is that her last appearance at the school is going to be remembered more for her negative comments than her positive comments. Just because one has a right to say something doesn't mean that it is the proper thing to do in a certain setting. The lesson is that although good judgment may not garner the same attention of bad judgment it is the more right thing to do.

This valedictorian should be proud of her accomplishment. However, she had the honor of speaking on behalf of her class and made it a controversial speech when it didn't need to be. Good judgment and class are sometimes not easy to define. But when it is not exhibited you do notice it. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

It is likely that those she pointed out had seniority and complaints were not listed to by school board.

It is very clear her class knew which teacher who was alcoholic and would go to work intoxicated. 

Now this way the issue is in public and can be addressed at school board issues.

She probably did not use names for fear of lawsuits but it appears a commenter in page stated their names.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is likely that those she pointed out had seniority and complaints were not listed to by school board.

It is very clear her class knew which teacher who was alcoholic and would go to work intoxicated.

Now this way the issue is in public and can be addressed at school board issues.

She probably did not use names for fear of lawsuits but it appears a commenter in page stated their names.

If a teacher or employee is an alcoholic and it is affecting one's job there are ways to address the issue. Parents and students have the right to go to the school authorities to address the problem, and if the response is not satisfactory then take the complaint to higher authorities inside and outside the system. 

What was the point of bringing up this issue at the podium for a valedictorian speech?  School is over with for this class. My point in my first post is that there is a time and place for everything. I just think poor judgment was exhibited here. 

25 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Glad the outrage machine is tired of Megan Rapinoe and is churning out copies of this video. What's next? 

Colorado bakers.

Anything PETA related. 

Confederate statues. 

People using bathrooms. 

The pledge of Allegiance 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

34 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Didn't like it...you don't toss people under the bus like that,but she's a kid.

she'll grow mentally and become a shark hunter outside of Mission Beach in California.?

and realize more of the reality of what high school was really all about

as a V she should do fine whatever she wants to pursue over short and long term

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

If a teacher or employee is an alcoholic and it is affecting one's job there are ways to address the issue. Parents and students have the right to go to the school authorities to address the problem, and if the response is not satisfactory then take the complaint to higher authorities inside and outside the system. 

What was the point of bringing up this issue at the podium for a valedictorian speech?  School is over with for this class. My point in my first post is that there is a time and place for everything. I just think poor judgment was exhibited here. 

She won the “book smarts” contest, not so much for common sense or street smarts. 

I think Michael Jordan may have mentored her in writing her speech. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

There is a time and a place to point out the inequities and challenges that students have to contend with. Instead of publicly singling out the less than diligent and supportive staff she should have focused more on those staff who supported the students through their challenging journey. This was a time to be uplifting and positive. Her speech is receiving notoriety not for publicly thanking those who were helpful but because of her remarks about those who were not supportive.

The valedictorian can say whatever she wants to say. It's her speech. But the end result is that her last appearance at the school is going to be remembered more for her negative comments than her positive comments. Just because one has a right to say something doesn't mean that it is the proper thing to do in a certain setting. The lesson is that although good judgment may not garner the same attention of bad judgment it is the more right thing to do.

This valedictorian should be proud of her accomplishment. However, she had the honor of speaking on behalf of her class and made it a controversial speech when it didn't need to be. Good judgment and class are sometimes not easy to define. But when it is not exhibited you do notice it. 

How many do you think there are in San Ysidro.  Numbers please.  I'd like to see what we are up against.  ???

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

She won the “book smarts” contest, not so much for common sense or street smarts. 

No offense.  I live in an educational wasteland. I am sure she is too.  She will be fine on the streets.

42 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Didn't like it...you don't toss people under the bus like that,but she's a kid.

she'll grow mentally and become a shark hunter outside of Mission Beach in California.?

Does this mean sell out? Like the educational wasteland that pumped her out?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

My bride left her salon after 26 years to join a major bank here..Limeaid knows the details.

After day two: "It's true...men control the corporate world".

Edited by Misterbluesky

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Colorado bakers.

Anything PETA related. 

Confederate statues. 

People using bathrooms. 

The pledge of Allegiance 

two guys rubbing mustaches

criticism of [religion of choice]

gun purchase requirements 

anti pollution legislation 

the other side’s media

The kid on the lawn

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You were 100 % correct about our last conversation...