LeSean McCoy expects to be in same role as last year: “I’m a dominant player”

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh...what else can he say at this point?  Frank Gore had a better year with a worse O-line.  Now he's going to split his touches with Gore and possibly a rookie.

If there was more than 1 trade offer on the table, the Bills would have dealt him.  31 year old with 1 year left on his contract and multiple teams are offering something for him?  Of course they would deal him.  McCoy's channeling Greggo with that BS...

You love spinning false narratives, don't you?

• Like (+1) 1

I've become a big McCoy fan, and I'm really glad to see this.   He says what has seemed apparent to me, which is that the Bills value him a lot more than many people around here.  

There are a couple of important points here.  First, Shady must have a good deal left in the tank, because (1) teams have contacted the Bills trying to get him and (2) the Bills wouldn't deal him.  

Second, last season's numbers weren't about McCoy having lost a step or anything like that.   This quote says it all, between the lines:  " "I mean, there were some games I wasn't right, but overall, it just didn't work. I'll just leave it at that."  That is certainly the way it looked.   He had no place to run for pretty much the entire season, and he isn't a guy who's going to make holes were there are none.   He needs some space to work with. 

One reason I like Shady so much, and a big reason he's still in Buffalo, is that he is 100% team guy.   He doesn't talk much about himself or his production.   He didn't complain at all last season about how little help he was getting.   Even here, all he would say is "it didn't work" and "let's leave it at that."   Half of the offensive linemen he might like to complain about aren't even on the team any more, but he still won't throw them under the bus.  It means he understands it's a team game, and he understands how good teammates behave.  

I take "it didn't work" to mean that he knows that McD and Daboll agree that McCoy's lack of production last season wasn't about McCoy.  

And I love that McCoy understands that his team has to be preparing for life without him.  

I really like how the Bills are positioned at running back for 2019.  I'm particularly excited about Singletary, because his running style is so much like Shady's.  If the Bills can get the oline right right for Shady, Singletary will do some real damage spelling Shady.   And Gore and Yeldon can do the heavier pounding.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I hope that this season Shady understands that he HAS to run N-S.  He can't seem to do those "shady" sharp cuts anymore.

This simply makes no sense whatsoever.   

First, watching him last season it was obvious he CAN make those "Shady" cuts.  He just needs some room to make them.  

But more importantly, it's fool hardy to expect any guy in the NFL to be an effective player in the league by abandoning what made him effective or better and still be effective doing something else.  Shady is NEVER going to be the north-south runner Gore became - he doesn't have the body and it isn't his style.  

If Shady can't be the old Shady, he isn't going to see a lot of snaps.  The Bills obviously think he still is the old Shady.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, watching him last season it was obvious he CAN make those "Shady" cuts.  He just needs some room to make them.  

But more importantly, it's fool hardy to expect any guy in the NFL to be an effective player in the league by abandoning what made him effective or better and still be effective doing something else.  Shady is NEVER going to be the north-south runner Gore became - he doesn't have the body and it isn't his style.  

If Shady can't be the old Shady, he isn't going to see a lot of snaps.  The Bills obviously think he still is the old Shady.  

Perfectly said!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

bounce off the line on the first 2 carries of the game, and head for the sidelines, and kind of disappear for the rest of the game?

He actually looked as dynamic as ever on receiving plays. I don't think people really realize yet how bad the Bills' run blocking was last season. It was historically awful - the worst I've ever seen in my years of watching the Bills going back to around 1973.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh...what else can he say at this point?  Frank Gore had a better year with a worse O-line.  Now he's going to split his touches with Gore and possibly a rookie.

If there was more than 1 trade offer on the table, the Bills would have dealt him.  31 year old with 1 year left on his contract and multiple teams are offering something for him?  Of course they would deal him.  McCoy's channeling Greggo with that BS...

You are WAY, WAY off here. The Bills' line play on running plays was the worst I've ever seen by a Buffalo unit, and that encompasses a lot of bad teams over the decades. Anyone who thinks the Bills had better run blocking than Miami last season wasn't watching football. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think they believe that he CAN be given the circumstances last year. The OL film doesn’t lie. But they also drafted his replacement just in case. 

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I hope that this season Shady understands that he HAS to run N-S.  He can't seem to do those "shady" sharp cuts anymore.

Right... what’s a guy with 10k career rushing yards know. 

We will see what he can and can’t do. I’m banking on him being ready to go. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I've been and still am team McCoy... he is not only a game changer. He is a name. One of the few if not ONLY names non Bills fans who watch the NFL casually even know. Not only that, he's funny, has good locker room, on field and sideline presence. Plus he's born in July so he's a Cancer like me. Nobody has a better thought process than us. 

Let's go McCoy. Talk that TALK!

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The ex isn't an issue anymore.  And they don't have a kid together. 

This is just flat out wrong.  Miami was ranked 14th.  The Bills were 30th.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You love spinning false narratives, don't you?

My bad.  I was looking at overall O-line play.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

But it will be obvious if the O-line was the reason for McCoy's straight down drop off.  He now has real competition running behind the same line.  There are only 2 reasons why McD brought in old man Gore...

2 hours ago, Doc said:

This is just flat out wrong.  Miami was ranked 14th.  The Bills were 30th.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You are WAY, WAY off here. The Bills' line play on running plays was the worst I've ever seen by a Buffalo unit, and that encompasses a lot of bad teams over the decades. Anyone who thinks the Bills had better run blocking than Miami last season wasn't watching football. 

Well, that does depend on who you talk to.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

PFF had us 26th, and Miami 31st at season's end. I certainly do believe that our run blocking was atrocious, and contributed to a large percentage of Shady's poor season. But, it wasn't the entire reason, was it? I don't believe so. 

There are plenty of people on here who firmly believe that Gore, five years Shady's senior, is a better RB, and will have a greater impact. (I don't) I personally believe that Ivory, given the situations he was put in, running behind the same, crappy O-line, and the type of downhill player he is, did a good job for us. I was sorry they cut him. I would have liked to see what he was capable of behind an improved line.

But, to be honest, I am not entirely optimistic about our run game this year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

PFF had us 26th, and Miami 31st at season's end. I certainly do believe that our run blocking was atrocious, and contributed to a large percentage of Shady's poor season. But, it wasn't the entire reason, was it? I don't believe so. 

There are plenty of people on here who firmly believe that Gore, five years Shady's senior, is a better RB, and will have a greater impact. (I don't) I personally believe that Ivory, given the situations he was put in, running behind the same, crappy O-line, and the type of downhill player he is, did a good job for us. I was sorry they cut him. I would have liked to see what he was capable of behind an improved line.

I did say run blocking. This analysis focuses a lot on pass blocking. 

36 minutes ago, dpberr said:

A lot of people underestimate  A) how terrible Juan Castillo was as a coach and B) how that terribleness impacted the offensive line and the coordination between units.

True, and it wasn't just the OL that sucked. The WR's, TE's, and the QB rotation of Peterman/Anderson/off-the-street Barkley/rookie Allen also did the running game no favors. McCoy is among the 30 greatest RB's to have ever played the game of football. I'm betting on him having an excellent bounce-back season in a drastically improved offense. And I'd like to see Singletary play 1 full quarter of preseason NFL football first before we discuss dumping a future Hall of Fame RB for him. And keeping Yeldon over McCoy? LMAO...

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My bad.  I was looking at overall O-line play.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

But it will be obvious if the O-line was the reason for McCoy's straight down drop off.  He now has real competition running behind the same line.  There are only 2 reasons why McD brought in old man Gore...

Yup, he still needs to prove it.  Gore will be the straight ahead, short-yardage guy and Singletary will be watching and learning initially.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

True, and it wasn't just the OL that sucked. The WR's, TE's, and the QB rotation of Peterman/Anderson/off-the-street Barkley/rookie Allen also did the running game no favors. McCoy is among the 30 greatest RB's to have ever played the game of football. I'm betting on him having an excellent bounce-back season in a drastically improved offense. And I'd like to see Singletary play 1 full quarter of preseason NFL football first before we discuss dumping a future Hall of Fame RB for him. And keeping Yeldon over McCoy? LMAO...

I don’t share your optimism, or vaunted opinion of McCoy, but I would bet money that Yeldon will not be on the team in September. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:10 AM, row_33 said:

bounce off the line on the first 2 carries of the game, and head for the sidelines, and kind of disappear for the rest of the game?

He did say the same role as last season.?

On 6/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I've been and still am team McCoy... he is not only a game changer. He is a name. One of the few if not ONLY names non Bills fans who watch the NFL casually even know. Not only that, he's funny, has good locker room, on field and sideline presence. Plus he's born in July so he's a Cancer like me. Nobody has a better thought process than us. 

Let's go McCoy. Talk that TALK!

If he is a Cancer they should trade him immediately.  

On 6/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, Rocky Landing said:

Yes that 3.3 per carry and 1 TD were irreplaceable. Ivory belongs on the Wall.

Gore is a definite upgrade over Ivory and a different type or RB than McCoy.

Edited by formerlyofCtown