LeSean McCoy expects to be in same role as last year: “I’m a dominant player”

He told The Buffalo News Wednesday that he fully expects to continue as the Bills' starting running back, a role he has held since joining the team in a 2015 trade with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"In this league, in general, it's always competition," McCoy, who turns 31 in July and is entering the final year of his contract, said after the second day of practice at the Bills' mandatory minicamp. "I'm a type of guy, I thrive off of having a big name. So when guys come to my team, they're curious to see, 'How is LeSean McCoy? Is he still a good player?' I mean, I'm a dominant player. I think that speaks for itself. But I'll be in the same role as last year. And I look forward to putting some numbers up and bouncing back from that last season."

In 14 games, including 13 as a starter, he finished with a career-low 514 yards and three touchdowns on 161 carries. That gave him 3.2 yards per carry, also a career low. Asked why his production slumped so badly and if his health was an issue, McCoy said, "I mean, there were some games I wasn't right, but overall, it just didn't work. I'll just leave it at that. But I look forward to bouncing back this year.”

I think that, if I was the GM or the coach, you have two 30-year-old running backs, so you've got to eventually prepare for the future, that's normal, I would do that," McCoy said. "But there were so many requests for trades for me, people were trying to get me, (the Bills) didn't make a move. This team here wouldn't make a move. That shows confidence in that.

"I play with confidence, so I don't let stuff like that move me. The guys in the room, that's going to help us out. Like Frank, I'm sure, he'll help us out. He'll get some play, he'll make some plays. With the rookie, you know, we'll try to fit them in there. But I expect to be the main workhorse."

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/12/buffalo-bills-lesean-mccoy-frank-gore-nfl-football/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

What he should of said...

I’m not as explosive as I was but Frank’s like 40 years old. I look quick next to him.

We keep telling the rookie the wrong formations and I continue to show him how to hold the ball like a loaf of bread. 

• Haha (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

He's got something to prove and the line should improve.  He's gonna bounce back 

bounce off the line on the first 2 carries of the game, and head for the sidelines, and kind of disappear for the rest of the game?

• Haha (+1) 1

It appears from the interviews given by McCoy and Gore that they look forward to being teammates and helping each other reach career milestones. I'm hoping that translate into a very successful running attack for the Bills this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Meh...what else can he say at this point?  Frank Gore had a better year with a worse O-line.  Now he's going to split his touches with Gore and possibly a rookie.

If there was more than 1 trade offer on the table, the Bills would have dealt him.  31 year old with 1 year left on his contract and multiple teams are offering something for him?  Of course they would deal him.  McCoy's channeling Greggo with that BS...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really hope he has a bounce back year...one because it will help our Bills.  The other, maybe he hits on some bonuses because he will need them for Lawyer fees....he has a crazy ex.

The ex isn't an issue anymore.  And they don't have a kid together. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh...what else can he say at this point?  Frank Gore had a better year with a worse O-line.  Now he's going to split his touches with Gore and possibly a rookie.

If there was more than 1 trade offer on the table, the Bills would have dealt him.  31 year old with 1 year left on his contract and multiple teams are offering something for him?  Of course they would deal him.  McCoy's channeling Greggo with that BS...

This is just flat out wrong.  Miami was ranked 14th.  The Bills were 30th.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think last year was more of a reflection on our historically poor Offensive Line. We replaced one of the best run blockers in the NFL in Incognito with one of the worst. He was also our only good run blocker. To me, Shady’s lack of output looked mostly due to the horrendous line and running more timid, not so much due to a physical decline. The OL has more to prove than Shady.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I think last year was more of a reflection on our historically poor Offensive Line. We replaced one of the best run blockers in the NFL in Incognito with one of the worst. He was also our only good run blocker. To me, Shady’s lack of output looked mostly due to the horrendous line and running more timid, not so much due to a physical decline. The OL has more to prove than Shady.

It was a combination of things.  Wood's sudden retirement hurt, but they could at least plan for it and they added Bodine.  Had he played next to Richie, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.  But Richie went crazy after the best FA's were gone and the Bills were stuck.  That had an effect on Dawkins, while the right side was a mess all along.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting that he said “there were so many requests for trades for me” ... 

Of course. Who wouldn’t want an over the hill RB, who had a huge statistical decline, and is paid pretty handsomely for a RB? I’m sure teams were lining up. 

29 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I hope that this season Shady understands that he HAS to run N-S.  He can't seem to do those "shady" sharp cuts anymore.

I lost count of the amount of times I wanted to hit my head against the wall watching him run last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was a combination of things.  Wood's sudden retirement hurt, but they could at least plan for it and they added Bodine.  Had he played next to Richie, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.  But Richie went crazy after the best FA's were gone and the Bills were stuck.  That had an effect on Dawkins, while the right side was a mess all along.

Rookie QB, pair of lousy centers... pretty good recipe for bad protection.  Asking a lot of a 22 year old QB to set protections on his own.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Rookie QB, pair of lousy centers... pretty good recipe for bad protection.  Asking a lot of a 22 year old QB to set protections on his own.

Yep.  Although again I think Bodine would have been fine with RI next to him.  The OG situation definitely hurt him as well.