Probably LeSean McCoy's Last Year With Bills

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Someone might throw out a lower round pick.  It will depend on injuries, etc. that always happen in the pre-season. 

Yeah, but they're not going to move Shady based upon a rookie looking good in preseason.

I don't think folks appreciate that McD really wants the veteran combo of Shady/Gore in this backfield, this season.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, but they're not going to move Shady based upon a rookie looking good in preseason.

I don't think folks appreciate that McD really wants the veteran combo of Shady/Gore in this backfield, this season.

We'll see.  I love having Gore around; I can't imagine how useful he'll be imparting wisdom to Allen, and the other young guys.  I wonder if they'd keep all 4 RBs and cut DiMarco?

I never liked the McCoy signing, especially when he whined his way to a new deal with us. Too much money. He should have been traded after year 2 here, but the dead cap space to eat was way too much. Terrible contract, terrible. Having said this, I think he will remain a Bill for the upcoming season and I think he should. I am also hopeful for a rebound season. He was pretty good his 1st 3 years of the contract, but the o-line he had last year hurt his play. Don't forget we lost Wood and Cogs in 1 off season and both were being counted on to play. It's hard to fix that problem when the main goal was to "get our QB". We gave up a lot to get Allen, so getting O-line help wasn't going to happen. To me, the decline in McCoy's play had more to do with the line than McCoy himself. Sure there is the natural decline for a RB hitting the age of 30, but getting hit at or behind the LOS 50% of the time makes it really hard for any RB to thrive. I expect our line to play well this year. With that, I don't expect McCoy to get hit at or behind the LOS at the rate he did last year. That's going to make a big difference IMO. If he gets 240-260 carries, he'll break 1k yards.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/08/lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills-yards-per-carry-offensive-line-blocking-line-of-scrimmage/

How much can a much-improved offensive line be expected to help the Bills’ soon-to-be 31-year-old running back?

One way to measure it is to look at the difference McCoy encountered last year without his two best blockers from the previous seasons, guard Richie Incognito and center Eric Wood.

McCoy was hit by a defensive player within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage on 50.3% of his carries in 2018, according to News statistics.

That was a big increase over the previous two years. In 2017, McCoy was hit within a yard of the line on 41% of his carries. In 2016, the figure was 38.7%, almost 12 percent less than last season.

McCoy finished 2018 with a career-low 514 rushing yards on 11.5 carries per game, which was the lowest since his rookie season of 2009. It was the first time in his 10-year career he averaged fewer than 4.0 yards a carry.

He produced 1,138 rushing yards on 17.9 carries per game in 2017 and 1,267 on 15.6 carries per game in 2016.

The result of getting stopped in his tracks at the line of scrimmage so often was he couldn’t get to the second level of the defense and use his elusiveness and acceleration to his full advantage.

McCoy had only three runs of 20 or more yards in 2018, a career low. In 2017, McCoy tied for the NFL lead with 12 carries of 20-plus yards. In 2016, he was second in the NFL behind Dallas’ Ezekiel Elliott with 11 carries of 20-plus yards.

• Like (+1) 1

....um...er....well....for whatever reasons/excuses are offered up for the 2018 abberation, for 2019 and as they say in Mizzou, "SHOW ME"....previous lustre means squat today............

Buffalo Bills’ LeSean McCoy: It’s hard to replace a guy like me

Today 9:43 AM

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

LeSean McCoy averaged 3.2 yards per carry while rushing for 514 yards in 2018. Both totals were career-lows for the Buffalo Bills running back.

Despite coming off of the worst season of his career, McCoy isn’t lacking confidence entering 2019.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/06/buffalo-bills-lesean-mccoy-its-hard-to-replace-a-guy-like-me.html

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:40 AM, oldmanfan said:

We'll see.  I love having Gore around; I can't imagine how useful he'll be imparting wisdom to Allen, and the other young guys.  I wonder if they'd keep all 4 RBs and cut DiMarco?

I'm thinking that is about a 50/50 thing right now.  Camp and preseason will show us which way it goes.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking that is about a 50/50 thing right now.  Camp and preseason will show us which way it goes.

...so for a little mindless Oldtime senior moment yap.....think we kept Tolbert around for an extra year due to locker room vet presence....wonder if we kept DiMarco around in 2018 as a safety valve for inept TE blocking and/or woeful OL as a whole, despite limited use?....other than Smith, these 2019 TE potentials need duality, as in catching and blocking.....and it appears (yes on paper so far) that the OL should be vastly improved...do you keep DiMarco around and what would be his role to occupy a spot on the final 53?...........

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so for a little mindless Oldtime senior moment yap.....think we kept Tolbert around for an extra year due to locker room vet presence....wonder if we kept DiMarco around in 2018 as a safety valve for inept TE blocking and/or woeful OL as a whole, despite limited use?....other than Smith, these 2019 TE potentials need duality, as in catching and blocking.....and it appears (yes on paper so far) that the OL should be vastly improved...do you keep DiMarco around and what would be his role to occupy a spot on the final 53?...........

First off I think the DiMarco leadership and Special Teams role was important to McDermott.

The questions now, is it still important and how much influence does Daboll have on the final roster now that he seems established as the OC?

Does Daboll really want to use a FB?

I found it interesting that the previous 2 years McDermott brought in another FB for camp.  This year he did not.

Is there another RB who is spelling DiMarco in camp this year or is the FB role being diminished even more than last year?

Can other RBs and TEs take over most of DiMarco's role?

How well is DiMarco playing on Special Teams and what does the new ST Coordinator think?

DiMarco is also over 30 years old and this year his contract has an out.

McDermott has done a great job (IMO) of developing leadership from multiple players so does this lessen DiMarco's leadership role?

So unless Daboll has an important role for the FB (and if so why not have another in camp?) or DiMarco is a standout on STs this year I see him

struggling to find a roster spot. 

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

First off I think the DiMarco leadership and Special Teams role was important to McDermott.

The questions now, is it still important and how much influence does Daboll have on the final roster now that he seems established as the OC?

Does Daboll really want to use a FB?

I found it interesting that the previous 2 years McDermott brought in another FB for camp.  This year he did not.

Is there another RB who is spelling DiMarco in camp this year or is the FB role being diminished even more than last year?

Can other RBs and TEs take over most of DiMarco's role?

How well is DiMarco playing on Special Teams and what does the new ST Coordinator think?

DiMarco is also over 30 years old and this year his contract has an out.

McDermott has done a great job (IMO) of developing leadership from multiple players so does this lessen DiMarco's leadership role?

So unless Daboll has an important role for the FB (and if so why not have another in camp?) or DiMarco is a standout on STs this year I see him

struggling to find a roster spot. 

...agree and nicely done CB......:thumbsup:

On 6/14/2019 at 4:32 AM, Zaso Art Designs said:

This will probably be LeSean McCoy's last year with the Bills unless he has an incredible season and the Bills decide to resign him. I was excited when the Bills traded for him and overall I think he has been great for us besides last year (Although last year not being his fault entirely). 

I think he will bounce back this year and have a solid year. I can see a 1,000 yards rushing type of season. 

Its not very often when the Bills have an NFL star player on their team. I love McCoy and I am going to embrace every moment he has with the Bills this year because it could be his last time in a Bills uniform. 

This is so annoying...

Not his fault at all.* The O-line was a huge joke, regardless of what some of the apologists say. 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:09 AM, MacGyver said:

He should have been traded last off season.  This definitely should be his last season as a Bill.

I agree. The Bills should have traded him to the highest bidder once they realized how horrid the O-line was going to be.

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

This is so annoying...

Not his fault at all.* The O-line was a huge joke, regardless of what some of the apologists say. 

I agree. The Bills should have traded him to the highest bidder once they realized how horrid the O-line was going to be.

Last year they had nothing to look forward to at RB but hope.

They knew Offensive was going to be the offseason focal point (s).
I think Bills will have a fine running game this year between Gore and Lesean and one.

another point is that, i suspect the quality of offers was not even close to moving Beanes needle in trading Shady for value

30 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Last year they had nothing to look forward to at RB but hope.

They knew Offensive was going to be the offseason focal point (s).
I think Bills will have a fine running game this year between Gore and Lesean and one.

another point is that, i suspect the quality of offers was not even close to moving Beanes needle in trading Shady for value

Agreed. but, you'd think something may have come up... However, what should the Bills have gotten for him?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000973199/article/bills-unlikely-to-trade-lesean-mccoy-to-eagles

On 6/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Paulus said:

Agreed. but, you'd think something may have come up... However, what should the Bills have gotten for him?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000973199/article/bills-unlikely-to-trade-lesean-mccoy-to-eagles

Thanks for the link.
Obviously Bills feel he has good value still.

perhaps i am in the miniscule minority but i do too.

Hope he can play out his career in Buffalo

defenses wil key on him till he no longer #cutsondime 

: )