Probably LeSean McCoy's Last Year With Bills

If Singletary was a good pick, there's a solid chance he's not on the team in 2019. When you draft a running back in the 3rd round, the expectation is that he'll be an immediate contributor. Not sure where that leaves Shady. If Singletary doesn't look the part in camp or preseason, they could keep Shady around and cut Dimarco. Gotta keep all your options open if there are question marks. Yeldon is 6 years younger and surprisingly effective as a receiver out of the backfield. I think they'll want to keep Shady around if they're not sold on Singletary.

23 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Cash him out for draft picks before he’s gimpy again.

I don't think we could even get any UDFA choices for McCoy.

Edited by LSHMEAB

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am the ultimate cold heart. I am known by my friends as an emotional vacuum. My argument for keeping Lesean McCoy is all logic. I just see it totally different to you. 

The reasons players get moved in this league are:

1. Not a culture fit - I think the regime has been pleasantly surprised by McCoy in this regard and their comments last year support that.

2. They have better players - Yeldon cannot give you near similar production as Lesean McCoy. There is simply no reason to believe he can. TJ Yeldon's best year in the NFL (his rookie year 4 years ago) he had 700 odd yards, 2 TDs, at 4.1ypa. Last year he had fewer yards and fewer touchdowns than McCoy's worst year behind an atrocious oline. 

3. Money - the Bills would accrue over $2.5m of dead cap by cutting McCoy. Yes they would save $6m on this year's cap but they have lots of cap space. They don't need the savings. So they would just be cutting a guy for an inferior player of they cut Shady and keep Yeldon.

I don't see a single rationale argument for doing it. It is a lot of money for a 31 year old back. But he is still the best back on the team until proven otherwise (and he will unquestionably be one of the top 3 backs) there is no cap hit beyond this year to consider and the Bills are not in need of money this year. 

The only two ways Shady is not on the roster in 2019 are injury or someone trading above his value for him (if the Bills got offered a #1 a #2 or a high #3 of course they would and should trade him.) 

I think this analysis is right on the money.  One other way he isn't on the roster is if Singletary is incredible right out of the gate.  Not likely.  

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am the ultimate cold heart. I am known by my friends as an emotional vacuum. My argument for keeping Lesean McCoy is all logic. I just see it totally different to you. 

The reasons players get moved in this league are:

1. Not a culture fit - I think the regime has been pleasantly surprised by McCoy in this regard and their comments last year support that.

2. They have better players - Yeldon cannot give you near similar production as Lesean McCoy. There is simply no reason to believe he can. TJ Yeldon's best year in the NFL (his rookie year 4 years ago) he had 700 odd yards, 2 TDs, at 4.1ypa. Last year he had fewer yards and fewer touchdowns than McCoy's worst year behind an atrocious oline. 

3. Money - the Bills would accrue over $2.5m of dead cap by cutting McCoy. Yes they would save $6m on this year's cap but they have lots of cap space. They don't need the savings. So they would just be cutting a guy for an inferior player of they cut Shady and keep Yeldon.

I don't see a single rationale argument for doing it. It is a lot of money for a 31 year old back. But he is still the best back on the team until proven otherwise (and he will unquestionably be one of the top 3 backs) there is no cap hit beyond this year to consider and the Bills are not in need of money this year. 

The only two ways Shady is not on the roster in 2019 are injury or someone trading above his value for him (if the Bills got offered a #1 a #2 or a high #3 of course they would and should trade him.) 

The $6,175,000 is more than cap space, it's actual money.

This summer we find out if Gore, Singletary, Yeldon/Murphy + $6.175 Million cash, and a potential draft pick as compensation is better than keeping him.

Devin Singletary is the key IMO, we know who the rest of the players are.  Is he ready to take the job by the end of summer?  McCoy's that is.

This preseason will be the Singletary show at RB, and that's what I want to see the most.

I'm fine either way, that's just how I see it.  Just end up with the best guys and let's go.  I also don't think we get more than a day 3 pick for McCoy or he would already be gone.

I'm a proponent of getting rid of a guy like McCoy a year early, than too late.  Granted he's gone after this year anyway, but what are the opportunity costs of keeping a guy like him on the roster?  Is he a hindrance to the development of others that will hopefully be longer term offensive options on this roster?  On the money front, they obviously don't need the cap space this year, but they could push the 6 million into the 2020 season, right?  I don't know what the market FA market looks like then, or who they'll be looking to lock up long term on the team now, so that 6 million is more versatile than just thinking of 2019.  Look at what the Eagles did with Wentz.  The average cap hit per year moving forward is approximately 26 million, allowing them to have flexibility in other areas of the roster.  They often push unused money towards future cap allocations.  Howie Roseman is really good at resource management.  Wentz's cap number is really good when you look at what the cap hits for QBs are going to be moving forward.  It's this second level thinking we should expect from our front office.  

I vote for cutting him now.  It's resource allocation that can be used in other areas, especially when we have young CB that is going to command a top level deal.   

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, Zaso Art Designs said:

This will probably be LeSean McCoy's last year with the Bills unless he has an incredible season and the Bills decide to resign him.

Players that likely won't be on the team next season, 2020: 

Shady  (age ineffectiveness)  

Lorax  (age)  

Gore  (age ineffectiveness)  

Lawson  (ineffectiveness)  

Jones  (ineffectiveness)  

Lotulolei (contract cut, ineffectiveness)  

2 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

The $6,175,000 is more than cap space, it's actual money.

This summer we find out if Gore, Singletary, Yeldon/Murphy + $6.175 Million cash, and a potential draft pick as compensation is better than keeping him.

Devin Singletary is the key IMO, we know who the rest of the players are.  Is he ready to take the job by the end of summer?  McCoy's that is.

This preseason will be the Singletary show at RB, and that's what I want to see the most.

I'm fine either way, that's just how I see it.  Just end up with the best guys and let's go.  I also don't think we get more than a day 3 pick for McCoy or he would already be gone.

And if I thought there was any competition for talent between Lesean McCoy and TJ Yeldon or Marcus Murphy that money would be relevant. But there isn't. There is none. Shady could be 40 and still be better than Yeldon. So that money is about a $4.5m saving (by the time you have paid Yeldon) for an obviously far inferior talent. The Bills have done enough voluntarily downgrading the talent level the last two years. It is time to roll with the guys who can play. Shady can. Yeldon can't. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Rebuild? This is the pivotal year 3 of the regime 

if they dont win 9+ games McDermott might be gone 

this year is anything but a rebuild 

I wasn't meaning that a rebuild just started, only that Shady was the main player on offense that we had at the start of this rebuild under McD, and he isnt going to be a part of the finished product.

..."over the hill at 30"??....do you know what I would pay to REMEMBER 30, 40 or 50?.....on second thought......keep it buried.......some of these guys defy odds and can still play.....Shady needs a reduced workload with a nice blend of carries and catches...he can still be effective in 2019....look at AD......Deadskins to a chance on him at 33 for vet minimum and he produced 1,028 rushing yards....predicted?....NOT.......and now we have Frank "The Tank" Gore.......guy is STILL ripped and eats scrap metal for breakfast...Larry Johnson and Dirty Bird Anderson both got worn out with 400+ carries seasons.....anybody remember Seahawks' Shaun Alexander?.....he broke through with a first major RB mega deal......and hit the skids at 28.....I think Shady can produce if Daboll uses him effectively, but it is realistically his last year in Bflo.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And if I thought there was any competition for talent between Lesean McCoy and TJ Yeldon or Marcus Murphy that money would be relevant. But there isn't. There is none. Shady could be 40 and still be better than Yeldon. So that money is about a $4.5m saving (by the time you have paid Yeldon) for an obviously far inferior talent. The Bills have done enough voluntarily downgrading the talent level the last two years. It is time to roll with the guys who can play. Shady can. Yeldon can't. 

They added 3 guys to the 2 they kept at the position, there's a reason teams are wondering if Shady is available.

Yeldon isn't the one that would be beating out McCoy IMV, it would be the rookie.  Like I said we know who the rest of the guys are (Yeldon, Gore, McCoy).  

Shady could have a great year, I'm open to that.  I could also see him back in the green uniform if the rookie shows he's ready this summer.

7 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

I'm a proponent of getting rid of a guy like McCoy a year early, than too late.  Granted he's gone after this year anyway, but what are the opportunity costs of keeping a guy like him on the roster?  Is he a hindrance to the development of others that will hopefully be longer term offensive options on this roster?  On the money front, they obviously don't need the cap space this year, but they could push the 6 million into the 2020 season, right?  I don't know what the market FA market looks like then, or who they'll be looking to lock up long term on the team now, so that 6 million is more versatile than just thinking of 2019.  Look at what the Eagles did with Wentz.  The average cap hit per year moving forward is approximately 26 million, allowing them to have flexibility in other areas of the roster.  They often push unused money towards future cap allocations.  Howie Roseman is really good at resource management.  Wentz's cap number is really good when you look at what the cap hits for QBs are going to be moving forward.  It's this second level thinking we should expect from our front office.  

I vote for cutting him now.  It's resource allocation that can be used in other areas, especially when we have young CB that is going to command a top level deal.   

Absurd take.  He is far and away the most talented back on the roster.  Gore isn't carrying the load at his age.  And hindrance to developing who?  They can still give Singletary all the carries they want;  he will only be helped having a veteran like McCoy on the team.  There is absolutely no reason to cut him when they can simply part ways next offseason.

1 hour ago, Aireskoi said:

They added 3 guys to the 2 they kept at the position, there's a reason teams are wondering if Shady is available.

Yeldon isn't the one that would be beating out McCoy IMV, it would be the rookie.  Like I said we know who the rest of the guys are (Yeldon, Gore, McCoy).  

Shady could have a great year, I'm open to that.  I could also see him back in the green uniform if the rookie shows he's ready this summer.

We do know who the others are. And McCoy is better. That is the point.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Absurd take.  He is far and away the most talented back on the roster.  Gore isn't carrying the load at his age.  And hindrance to developing who?  They can still give Singletary all the carries they want;  he will only be helped having a veteran like McCoy on the team.  There is absolutely no reason to cut him when they can simply part ways next offseason.

He's so talented,  they've done such great things with him. I don't know how they'd win 6 games without him and his 3 ypc.  What's absurd is you don't understand how real front offices operate.  Your reading comprehension is deficient or you don't understand how the cap works...Do you think NE would keep him around?

My point was to push the money forward and lock up home grown players who are going to be expensive, like White.  Why is Gilmore no longer here?  Doing so, you can front load deals with money credit from previous years.  All while having a QB on a rookie deal, and in two years when your talking extension you have more free money/cap-credit. Also, being that upstate NY isn't a premier destination...for anyone, you have to overpay talent.  I'd prefer to spend that money on players that are projected to be part of the future.

Newsflash for everyone, he's no AP.   

On 6/14/2019 at 5:25 AM, Bills2ref said:

Fine with me. Draft a RB in the 4-6 round next year to go along with Singletary who will have a year under his belt. Low mileage high upside backfield. 

I agree. RB's just don't have the cache they once had. Today's NFL is centered around throwing the ball. With Gore, Yeldon & Singletary I just don't see Shady getting 1K this final season. Before Allen, there were games where he was our MVP. But after this season it will be time to thank him for his effort. 

On 6/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, Foxx said:

i don't know that he gets 1K yards this year. we also have Gore and the young'un, Singletary to give the ball to.

And Yeldon 

Shady would probably need 15,16 carries per  game to reach 1000 yards. I think can still by dynamic, in limited use.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Georgie said:

And Yeldon 

Shady would probably need 15,16 carries per  game to reach 1000 yards. I think can still by dynamic, in limited use.

I could actually see Singletary get put on the inactive until there is inevitably a injury to somebody (not wishing it....its just a punishing position)

To me Singletary was a stash pick......and yes I think a strong possibiility that this is Shady's last year here.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I could actually see Singletary get put on the inactive until there is inevitably a injury to somebody (not wishing it....its just a punishing position)

To me Singletary was a stash pick......and yes I think a strong possibiility that this is Shady's last year here.

I could easily see one or more of these RB's going down in TC.

Maybe Marcus Murphy should remain on alert. ?

On 6/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, oldmanfan said:

If the rookie shows big a trade for Shady would not be surprising.

Nobody is trading for Shady.  I think he has one or two years left in Buffalo.