Probably LeSean McCoy's Last Year With Bills

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills cut McCoy for TJ freaking Yeldon then they really should fire everyone and burn the whole thing down. 

They're not cutting him for Yeldon, they're cutting him for Singletary, Gore and Yeldon but mainly Singletary, they're the same back except Singletary is 10 years younger.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. I think they value what Shady brings in terms of leadership and personality. He isn't Frank Gore as a leader that much is obvious. And they have tried to sign Gore both years if they are to be believed. They clearly value his type of running style as well - they have tried to bring guys in the last two years of that style. 

I agree that they wanted a runner who goes forward more than sideways.  And I don't know how many older veteran team captains have been benched ever on any team, let alone so deep into the season.

I don't get the Shady McCoy hate.  He hasn't been a problem, and has actually been a good team guy.  I hope he has plenty of gas in the tank and is able to at least somewhat return to form, then get an extension after this season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m shocked if there is any sort of trade scenario for a 30+ yr old back coming off of 3.2 ypc 500 yd season. 

Im not sure how all the cap stuff works, but I’m assuming a trade leads to 2.6 million in dead cap but 6 mil salary goes to new team cap? 

Either way, My belief is he is chasing snaps and yards at this point. Money is secondary.  He seems like he wants canton. An extension will be cheap. If he wants to re up for a couple million tops, and still can show there’s something in the tank, worth consideration 

That’s fair.  If he shows he has something left in the tank then maybe there could be a way that he stays.  It’ll really depend on what he does want.  It could be any of the following:

- the last nickel 

- to run behind the best possible OL

- to start

- the best shot at a ring

- to be close to home

I honestly don’t know what he’d care most about, but I do believe that he still has to earn his spot here this season.  Then if he plays well we have something to discuss, but that’s only if the Bills haven’t moved on already.  It’s possible that it all works out and he’s here in 2020, but a lot has to work out. I just don’t see it as more than a very long shot. 

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

They're not cutting him for Yeldon, they're cutting him for Singletary, Gore and Yeldon but mainly Singletary, they're the same back except Singletary is 10 years younger.

So for Yeldon then. Cos I agree Singletary and Gore are making the roster. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

820 yards rushing, 7 rushing TDs at 4.8ypa, 420 yards receiving and 3 receiving TDs. 

That is my prediction for Shady's year. I think he can still play. I don't see decline on last year's tape. What I do see, and what has always been the case with Shady is the more frustrated he gets and the fewer holes his line are making for him the more he tries to dance and bounce everything and it becomes a vicious circle. If Mitch Morse, Quinton Spain and Feliciano / Long are winning at the point of attack and making holes I think Shady will have a good year. I don't see 1,000 yards rushing because I do think they intend to use the inconvenient truth and Singletary's dancing feet and be much more running back by committee rather than Shady as a the bell cow. 

....good call GB....use him efficiently and effectively so he's available for all 16+.......no need to be the plow horse anymore.....

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So for Yeldon then. Cos I agree Singletary and Gore are making the roster. 

Just seems like a lot of money for a guy that went down like a sack of potatoes every time he was hit. Yeldon will cost 5x less and could offer similar production and depth for the next 2 years. Oh and he's 5 years younger. Maybe my heart is cold because I see no rational nor logical reason to keep McCoy. Sorry but the NFL is a business, sometimes doing business sucks.

49 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Just seems like a lot of money for a guy that went down like a sack of potatoes every time he was hit. Yeldon will cost 5x less and could offer similar production and depth for the next 2 years. Oh and he's 5 years younger. Maybe my heart is cold because I see no rational nor logical reason to keep McCoy. Sorry but the NFL is a business, sometimes doing business sucks.

I am the ultimate cold heart. I am known by my friends as an emotional vacuum. My argument for keeping Lesean McCoy is all logic. I just see it totally different to you. 

The reasons players get moved in this league are:

1. Not a culture fit - I think the regime has been pleasantly surprised by McCoy in this regard and their comments last year support that.

2. They have better players - Yeldon cannot give you near similar production as Lesean McCoy. There is simply no reason to believe he can. TJ Yeldon's best year in the NFL (his rookie year 4 years ago) he had 700 odd yards, 2 TDs, at 4.1ypa. Last year he had fewer yards and fewer touchdowns than McCoy's worst year behind an atrocious oline. 

3. Money - the Bills would accrue over $2.5m of dead cap by cutting McCoy. Yes they would save $6m on this year's cap but they have lots of cap space. They don't need the savings. So they would just be cutting a guy for an inferior player of they cut Shady and keep Yeldon.

I don't see a single rationale argument for doing it. It is a lot of money for a 31 year old back. But he is still the best back on the team until proven otherwise (and he will unquestionably be one of the top 3 backs) there is no cap hit beyond this year to consider and the Bills are not in need of money this year. 

The only two ways Shady is not on the roster in 2019 are injury or someone trading above his value for him (if the Bills got offered a #1 a #2 or a high #3 of course they would and should trade him.) 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Shady is my favorite player on the team and easily the biggest reason the drought is over. He’s a future hall of famer and the only guy on the team that deserves a “benefit of the doubt” (from last year)...That being said, why would anyone trade for him? RBs are literally the easiest things to find and nobody is going to give up something to get an old one.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s fair.  If he shows he has something left in the tank then maybe there could be a way that he stays.  It’ll really depend on what he does want.  It could be any of the following:

- the last nickel 

- to run behind the best possible OL

- to start

- the best shot at a ring

- to be close to home

I honestly don’t know what he’d care most about, but I do believe that he still has to earn his spot here this season.  Then if he plays well we have something to discuss, but that’s only if the Bills haven’t moved on already.  It’s possible that it all works out and he’s here in 2020, but a lot has to work out. I just don’t see it as more than a very long shot. 

I think he wants canton and he’s not a lock at present. 

11 hours ago, NewCastleFanBills said:

He was a pivotal player on some bad Buffalo teams, he made games fun to watch again. But his age wont allow him to be a player in a serious rebuild. For the 1st time since Polian I see a real rebuild, I think Singletary will be given a lot of playing time to see what they have in him as a part of the youth movement. Aside of a few players, the Bill's are a very young and hungry team. It used to be Shady's team, now it's Allen's team. 

Rebuild? This is the pivotal year 3 of the regime 

if they dont win 9+ games McDermott might be gone 

this year is anything but a rebuild 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's an 11 year vet.  He's not going to develop into anything at this point.  That's one reason why Gore is here. 

This, Thanks. Never was a leader and not happening now. I’m with a lot of you,  he made some sensational plays and was worth booting Kiko. He just didn’t (wouldn’t?) allow himself to be one with the fans and every time it looked like he was beginning to, he’d pull some privileged BS. He’s not a McBeane guy. This is his last go ‘round here.