Long time Broncos owner Pat Bowlen passes away at 75

Pat Bowlen bred success through family atmosphere

Print
  • 0ap1000000234885.jpg
  • By Judy Battista
  • NFL.com reporter
  • Published: June 14, 2019 at 02:36 a.m.
  • Updated: June 14, 2019 at 03:28 a.m.

In the moments after the Denver Broncos won Super Bowl 50, with the Lombardi Trophy having just been placed in his hands, John Elway reached back across decades to tie the franchise's past and present together.

"This one's for Pat!" Elway exulted.

It was not just an echo of the Broncos' first Super Bowl celebration from 18 years earlier. It was a reminder that the man who authored that original iconic moment -- Broncos' owner Pat Bowlen, after the team had finally won a Super Bowl following four previous losses, proclaimed, "This one's for John!" -- was absent only in body, but not in spirit or influence.

Bowlen, who bought the Broncos with his siblings in 1984 and became one of the winningest owners in NFL history, died Thursday at age 75 after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. By any standard, Bowlen was an extraordinarily successful owner, saving the Broncos from possible bankruptcy and making them a pillar of the Denver community and a regular participant in the postseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001033791/article/pat-bowlen-bred-success-through-family-atmosphere

Edited by HOUSE

46 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Sad day for Broncos fans.

Alzheimer's.  :sick:

There is no worse disease.  It is, IMO, the single worst way to watch a loved one go.

Yea it is awful. My paternal grandfather suffered with it for about 8 or so years before he died. The last 5 particularly awful. But I remember one particular evening when I'd gone home to look after him because my grandmother was in hospital and he was so horribly confused. He genuinely thought I was two different people between me going in and out of the room. My maternal grandmother has it now too. She still recognises me when I am in context (ie. if there are other members of the family around) but I went to see her on my own and it was heartbreaking. 

• Sad 2

I visited my mother-in-law this spring. 

She did not recognize my wife at all but for a brief period she recognized me.

Later she thought I was her daughter's husband, the unmarried daughter (my age) who still lives with her.

It is a terrible disease which turned a sweet old lady into someone her live-in aide needed to quit from because of her irrationality.

My condolences to Bowlen family.

He did see like a fantastic owner and person.  

My Nana (grandmother) also had the same disease.  It was certainly rough as we seemed to fade in and out of her ability to recognize us.  I don't know about the worst way to die but it's cruel.  

The lasting memory of I have of her was I went to visit and she said "Oh (used my name), you're on this cruise too?"  The next day she passed.  I suppose that's not such a bad ending to a terrible disease - to think you're on a cruise.   

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

There is no worse disease.  It is, IMO, the single worst way to watch a loved one go.

.....and he was stricken for so long only to pass at a young 75.......very sad indeed.......a work colleague was forced to retire at 55 because of it and now at 58 he knows no one in his family and needs 24/7 care....

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well said.  Working in the medical field and at one time in Neurology, it is painful to see what happens to the family.  Some really nice stories I heard before going to a meeting on NFLR, from former players.

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well said.  Working in the medical field and at one time in Neurology, it is painful to see what happens to the family.  Some really nice stories I heard before going to a meeting on NFLR, from former players.

It is an awful disease but there are ocassional moments of dark humour that you have to be able to smile at. I remember taking my grandad for one of his early memory clinic appointments during the stage when he still recognised people and could still communicat but would forget stuff a lot and have the same conversation with you 2 or 3 times in a short period. We sat down and the doctor started his usual questions "what is you name?", "when were you born?", "where do you live?", "what year is it?" etc and then he asked my grandad "who is the Prime Minister?" and my grandad just looked him dead in the eye and said "I don't know and I don't care. When you get to my age you don't bother with that sort of rubbish." I was trying to stifle laughter and the doctor looked at me and he was trying to stifle laughter as well. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, GunnerBill said:

It is an awful disease but there are ocassional moments of dark humour that you have to be able to smile at. I remember taking my grandad for one of his early memory clinic appointments during the stage when he still recognised people and could still communicat but would forget stuff a lot and have the same conversation with you 2 or 3 times in a short period. We sat down and the doctor started his usual questions "what is you name?", "when were you born?", "where do you live?", "what year is it?" etc and then he asked my grandad "who is the Prime Minister?" and my grandad just looked him dead in the eye and said "I don't know and I don't care. When you get to my age you don't bother with that sort of rubbish." I was trying to stifle laughter and the doctor looked at me and he was trying to stifle laughter as well. 

GB, that’s a nice story and thank you for sharing, but sad for you regarding you’re grandfather.  I pray every week at church it doesn’t happen to my Dad who turns 89 this August.  He’s still as sharp as a tack and golfs three times a week.

Happy Fathers Day bud!