Article: How veterans and alumni play a key role in rookie development for the Bills

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-veterans-and-alumni-play-a-key-role-in-rookie-development-for-the-bills

It was an area that head coach Sean McDermott felt was good but could be improved. Getting the incoming rookies acclimated to the daily approach of how things are accomplished at One Bills Drive required a lot of time and investment. Time that the coaching staff didn’t always have at their disposal.

So McDermott, with the assistance of Terry and Kim Pegula, has been able to put together an onboarding program that gets them up to speed quicker and helps them adopt the pro mindset required to succeed more effectively.

Everything from leadership panels, where older players on the roster speak with rookies, or former NFL players are brought in to warn of the potential pitfalls through their own personal stories, Buffalo’s rookies quickly come to understand the requirements if they intend to have a successful NFL career.

“After going through a tough year last year of just onboarding new players, a new approach had to be undertaken,” McDermott said. “I think the best teams, businesses do it well, but I’m not sure everyone does it. We’re all trying to find the competitive advantage.”

After seeing some rookies make some decisions last season that didn’t adhere to the daily growth mindset McDermott preaches, the Bills head coach was determined to put a program in place to get young players to recognize the importance of staying on the right track.

Interesting read. I like that McDermott is always trying to find ways to get better.

It makes me think of what Art Rooney said “hire the smartest coach you can find and then give him the time and resources he needs to succeed”.

IMO McDermott comes off as the type of coach you want to give the time to figure things out. 

Edited by BillsFan4