Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2019

Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2019

Brad Gagnon-Bleacher Report-June 13, 2019

has Josh at #24....agree or disagree?....how does he measure up versus the other 31?.........

The Buffalo Bills revamped their offense around quarterback Josh Allen this offseason, and as a result, a supporting cast that ranked 31st in this exercise last year has at least moved out of the bottom five. 

• They at least have plenty of options at running back. LeSean McCoy is declining, and newcomer Frank Gore, 36, doesn't have a lot left. But they also added fifth-year veteran T.J. Yeldon and used a third-round pick on the intriguing Devin Singletary. Odds are good one of those guys emerges, but there's an element of uncertainty there. 
  • The same applies to the receiving corps, which added reliable safety valve Cole Beasley and deep threat John Brown to team up with disappointing 2017 second-round pick Zay Jones and late-2018 breakout player Robert Foster. That could be a solid quartet for Allen, but there's no clear-cut No. 1 guy.  
  • And ditto for a tight end group that replaced Charles Clay with free-agent addition Tyler Kroft, who is a boom-or-bust player. Kroft scored seven touchdowns in Cincinnati in 2017, but injuries have been a major problem. And he is now dealing with a broken foot. Buffalo might have to rely heavily on rookie third-round pick Dawson Knox, which is far from ideal. 

This could become a top-10 supporting cast, especially if Singletary becomes another Day 2 running back sensation and Allen can gain early chemistry with playmakers Brown and Kroft. But the Bills still lack a star in his prime, and there's a lot up in the air with big adjustments looming. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840357-ranking-every-nfl-qbs-supporting-cast-for-2019#slide9''

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I know by “supporting cast” they are talking about the “skill positions”, but what matters the most is the OLine. They make everybody look better!  Hopefully all our additions pay off. 

• Like (+1) 1

I still worry about this O line (did they get good FAs or just something better than the dreck from last year, can they figure out the right people to play, can they get them in the right places soon enough to make a difference in the outcome of the season). I think the skill position assessment is generally right but the key, to me, is still the O line.

The #24 ranking is probably close, and the only reason we were “only” 31 last year is they expected something from Shady. We never even got that. I guess you can’t be any worse than 32.....

The O-Line is key to how well the rest of the 'skill' positions can perform, in many respects.

Having said that, they aren't being especially negative, and the rider appears to be that they might be a fair bit better than currently thought of, as opposed to being mediocre full stop.

Biggest area of concern at the 'skill' positions, is (still) TE, where the injury to Kroft means we aren't exactly looking set. Smith is fine as a blocking TE, but it's the pass catcher we need, more than anything. Hopefully the rookie can step up, as I doubt Kroft will be ready to go fully for the start of the season.

The WR group as a whole, actually looks pretty solid. While it would be nice to have a guy who can do it all at the position, as a group, I think they have a good complimentary skill-set, able to give the variety of options a QB wants to see from his wideouts.

If the O-Line comes together, and we (finally) get competent play there, I think there's a lot going for the guys we have, and see no reason why with our solid D, we should not be in every game we play.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

I know by “supporting cast” they are talking about the “skill positions”, but what matters the most is the OLine. They make everybody look better!  Hopefully all our additions pay off. 

everyone says this

and everyone nods

but it's really not a priority for most teams to build it up any given year....

The thought that there is a path to being a top 10 group is on point.  There are ways that having a versatile, deep supporting cast can be a strength in the face of lacking elite talent in the prime of their careers.  We'll see what kind of chef Brian Daboll can be with these ingredients.  Maybe the lack of elite talent in their prime careeer years, often the diva types, can work to the benefit of the team and, after kicking the tires on Antonio Brown, it's what Beane decided they wanted all along.

“It is amazing how much can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit.”

John Wooden

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

On 6/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, RocCityRoller said:

surprised no comments on O-line.

No blocking, no time to throw

No blocking, no lanes to run in

but for a skill player perspective, I'd have to agree

IMO, ignoring the OLs makes this article worthless.  A good OL is the best support a team can give a QB, whether he's Tom Brady or a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1