Gregg Williams: “Culture Beats Strategy any day of the week”

56 minutes ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

Commish even said, "don't worry about to Rooney rule, you are just that special, Greggo!"

He pretty much got fired because he is a polarizing personality. He has some some serious issues and he is very difficult to work with. He might be a good defensive coach on paper, but his personality is pretty much locker room cancer

I could see that.  I know he has been fired but Ive always liked him as a DC Ive never heard anything about what youre saying from anyone I would put stock into.  The NO firing was completely a political move.  He did a good job as IHC in Clev.  He had 3 Top 10 Ds in Wash.  So There may be something to what youre saying.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Maybe hes a HC killer but he seems to lose his job when there is a change in HC most of the time.

His contract is terminated. That means he's fired. New coaches could easily keep him around.

40 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I could see that.  I know he has been fired but Ive always liked him as a DC Ive never heard anything about what youre saying from anyone I would put stock into.  The NO firing was completely a political move.  He did a good job as IHC in Clev.  He had 3 Top 10 Ds in Wash.  So There may be something to what youre saying.

He's been on hard knocks a bunch and everyone has seen first hand what a crappy person he is. Plus the fact that he got caught in the bounty gate scandal. Plus all the ridiculous things he says all the time. He's just a buffoon, and his defenses haven't been that good over the past couple years. Very aggressive but they give up a lot yards and big plays.

13 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Cant be culture.   Listen to WGR they will tell you repeatedly that culture doesnt mean anything in sports.

That’s because shmeremy Shite and Mike Slopp are the smartest men alive when it comes to sports. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

His contract is terminated. That means he's fired. New coaches could easily keep him around.

He's been on hard knocks a bunch and everyone has seen first hand what a crappy person he is. Plus the fact that he got caught in the bounty gate scandal. Plus all the ridiculous things he says all the time. He's just a buffoon, and his defenses haven't been that good over the past couple years. Very aggressive but they give up a lot yards and big plays.

Bounty Gate-What all teams did for a long time.  Football is a violent sport and used to be even more violent.  You are correct though.  What he did wrong was get caught.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He falls into that good coordinator that will never be a good head coach category.  He also seems to be a pretty terrible human being.

This.  He seems to have figured out that he should hone what he did best, which is being a DC, and he's been very successful at it.  Like many successful people in many endeavors, he's not a particularly a decent person. 

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Exactly. I don't care about 4.3 40's, rocket arms, recovery speed, or even technique. You give me a team full of gritsters with a touch of moxie and we're going to the Promised Land. No doubt in my mind.

Sure.  They tried that experiment with Levy as GM. It doesn't work.  

36 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Pats have culture and talent.

Pats have talent and culture in that order.

Talent and (execution of) strategy will trump culture. GM Levy had culture, Jauron tried culture and both with terrible results. As in business, so with sports you absolutely need to set a strategy and have the horses to execute it. 

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Pats have talent and culture in that order.

Pats have strategy (read: coaching) and add talent that fits that plan. The culture just comes by with all the winning. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Talent and (execution of) strategy will trump culture. GM Levy had culture, Jauron tried culture and both with terrible results. As in business, so with sports you absolutely need to set a strategy and have the horses to execute it. 

Pats have strategy (read: coaching) and add talent that fits that plan. The culture just comes by with all the winning. 

Your sour grapes are causing a lot of blindness there.... 

The Pats have a culture of winning that is up there with Lombardi and other dynasties.

• Like (+1) 1