Going to Nashville - need sightseeing recommendations

We LOVE Nashville. All the honkey tonk stuff along Broadway is fun if you like that kind of thing. I prefer the Gulch, which is very walkable after some time down on Broadway. You get cool stuff there, without it having to be all about country music. 

People hear “Nashville” and think country music. It’s certainly true to some extent, but Nashville is so much more! I love that it’s a college town. (It’s also a hub for medical research, resulting in a TON of wealth!) Vanderbilt, Belmont and Lipscomb are all within a few miles of each other. Other schools are nearby. That makes for a cool vibe. Along 21st St (I think?) you have a strip surrounded by Vandy and Belmont with shops and bars. My wife has been, but I never made it to the Pancake Factory. People line up to get in the place! 

If you are right downtown, the Oak Bar at the Hermitage Hotel is awesome. The Hermitage is a great place even if you are just walking through. It’s where my wife/we stay(s) on business trips up there. Hampton Inn by Vandy when the Bills play in October. ?

Puckett’s is downtown near  the Hermitage. (Also a “cute?” Homeless park, don’t be alarmed) Nice casual place with live music at night. Not too loud, good food. Not far away is Etch, which is more upscale and an interesting place that makes the most of bold flavors. 

If you want to drive out to the Gaylord Opryland Resort, it’s amazing! It’s a collection of resort hotels connected by huge atriums. You can take a gondola ride there!  Tons of restaurants and bars, but a bit removed from the city. They actually have a giant swim park/resort you can only go to if you are a resort guest. Amazing! 

The 12 South area is cool, with some very nice little casual restaurants. Eddly’s has awesome BBQ! Give it a try if you have a chance. .

The Parthenon by Vandy at Centennial park is supposed to be nice, but I never got in. The park is cool with frequent events, but I think the only times I tried to get into the building were on Mondays...apparently the only day they are closed.  

Edited by Augie

Also, though I never got in, check out the Ryman schedule. They are a TON of great shows. But they also have tours and that’s on my play list. I hear the tour is worth doing. What a classic venue having seen so many great shows. 

Lived there from 2013-2015 in the gulch.

the best honkey tonk is Roberts western world. Hands down. All the locals think so too.

the Patterson house is the best cocktail bar in town too. It’s very classy. 

If dive bars is more you’re thing, then go to either Melrose (got plenty of pool tables), the spring water, or the villager. Those were my personal favorite spots in town, especially since you can smoke inside. 

5 pts pizza in east Nashville is the best pizza place in town. 

Gabby a burgers is also a local favorite, and a lot of people consider B&c melrose the best bbq in town (get the pork over grits). I also liked burger republic in the gulch. My personal home base as a bar was bar Louis there.

If you’re in on Sunday, then go to Hattie bs chicken and waffles morning/brunch special, it’s the best chicken and waffles in town. There will be a long line so be there earlyish. 

I agree about centennial park. It’s a very nice park to visit. 

As far as venues go to see more local rock n roll acts, then check out 8 of 8th at the mercy lounge on Monday evenings, it’s a younger college type crowd but it’s still fun if you love rock music like me. 

Motown Monday’s was also a thing at the 5 spot, but it’s also a college like crowd. 

• Like (+1) 1