Roland Hooks and Super Joe!

After discussing Jerry Butler, I suppose it triggered another "moment" from the Bills past. The 1981 game against New England where Joe Ferguson and Roland Hooks  "Hooked" up and beat the Pats. I remember that the Bills were down...I remember turning off the TV thinking the Bills would come back If I did. Sure enough they did! Does anyone have the video? Please post it!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

I was at the game, watching the end from one of the upper deck tunnels.   Many had left, and after Hooks caught the TD, guys came running out of the bathroom, some with their pants still down around their ankles...Hooks' catch before the TD was one of the ages, and, of course, set up the Hail Mary.

The play starts around the 3:30 mark.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was at the game as well and we left because it started snowing and game seemed out of reach.  We heard the crowd roar and tried to turn around as we were walking to our car outside Rich, but too late.  It would have been my first live look at a "Hail Mary"  Fergy rightfully deserves praise for his abilities and that was a great demonstration of what he could do.  I think some of his heroics are overshadowed by blunders at critical times.  Not sure how I would rank him as Bills QB but probably 3rd after Kelly and Lamonica.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

After discussing Jerry Butler, I suppose it triggered another "moment" from the Bills past. The 1981 game against New England where Joe Ferguson and Roland Hooks  "Hooked" up and beat the Pats. I remember that the Bills were down...I remember turning off the TV thinking the Bills would come back If I did. Sure enoigh they did! Does anyone have the video? Please post it!

I listened to this game on a transistor radio while pulling guard duty for an ammo bunker in the jungles of Panama; I remember it well!

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I was at the game as well and we left because it started snowing and game seemed out of reach.  We heard the crowd roar and tried to turn around as we were walking to our car outside Rich, but too late.  It would have been my first live look at a "Hail Mary"  Fergy rightfully deserves praise for his abilities and that was a great demonstration of what he could do.  I think some of his heroics are overshadowed by blunders at critical times.  Not sure how I would rank him as Bills QB but probably 3rd after Kelly and Lamonica.

I called Ferguson Super Joe because of the plays and his occasional flash of heroics.

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

I listened to this game on a transistor radio while pulling guard duty for an ammo bunker in the jungles of Panama; I remember it well!

Wow...Noriega! What a remember when!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

I called Ferguson Super Joe because of the plays and his occasional flash of heroics.

Wow...Noriega! What a remember when!

Sure was, I met Noriega face to face when he was a Major the previous year; slime! 

38 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was in the parking lot because the people I went to the game with wanted to leave early & since I wasn't the driver that game I didn't have a choice to stay.

That had to suck...but everyone thought it was over!

3 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

It would have been my first live look at a "Hail Mary" 

Funny, i still remember the first time i saw the play live. Jerry Butler, rookie year, vs Jets. Butler goes off for 255 and 4tds, one of which was "Hail Mary" at end of first half. Bos score says it was 75 yards..so i am not quite sure how that went..must have been tipped and he was behind everyone I guess..I really dont remember that part.

Anyway,t he term Hail Mary had not been used yet..Bills called the play the "Big Ben" play after Ben Williams, a DE..why? I have no clue. Maybe some old guys here will remember.

Only recap i can find of the game called it an alley oop!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/09/24/archives/buffalos-ferguson-butler-star-butler-10-receptions-4-scores.html

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny, i still remember the first time i saw the play live. Jerry Butler, rookie year, vs Jets. Butler goes off for 255 and 4tds, one of which was "Hail Mary" at end of first half. Bos score says it was 75 yards..so i am not quite sure how that went..must have been tipped and he was behind everyone I guess..I really dont remember that part.

Anyway,t he term Hail Mary had not been used yet..Bills called the play the "Big Ben" play after Ben Williams, a DE..why? I have no clue. Maybe some old guys here will remember.

Only recap i can find of the game called it an alley oop!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/09/24/archives/buffalos-ferguson-butler-star-butler-10-receptions-4-scores.html

I was 17 at the time. I don't remember exactly. Maybe a tribute to Ben Williams?

It's been so many years, I don't remember much of that game - except for those last two remarkable plays.  Those were unforgettable.  Hooks, already one of my favorite Bills, was a hero that day.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's been so many years, I don't remember that game clearly - except for those last two remarkable plays.  Those were unforgettable.  Hooks, already one of my favorite Bills, was a hero that day.  

That first catch was shoe string like! Hooks was a gamer.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

That first catch was shoe string like! Hooks was a gamer.

If i remember correctly, OJ Simpson told OBD to play Roland Hooks after his trade to 49ers.  Hooks was a big play guy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

If i remember correctly, OJ Simpson told OBD to play Roland Hooks after his trade to 49ers.  Hooks was a big play guy.

Yes he was. He was a rugged and durable player as well.