Buffalo Bills have built a trio of athletic linebackers fit for modern football

big tre was pretty bad to start and pretty great to end.  mcbean looks for guys with huge talent and a stacked toolbox, and figure they can corch em up to play.  cam, star, josh allen, tre white (big play tre, vs big tre who is edumnds), and the rest are all huge athletic talent guys.

with a balanced 4-3 d stacked with talent up front, i think all the backers and edmunds in particular are gonna have a monster year.

it seems like the closer to the ball you line up, the more raw talent mcbean wants, the further away the more they prize skills, at least on the d side of the ball.  our DTs are physical monsters, DEs a mix, LBs err on the side of transcendent athletic ability, safeties are much more cerebral and skilled players.  the corners IMO are a bit of a special case all over the NFL, it's just hard to find someone who can cover, but i think our guys play with a lot of skill.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, PaattMaann said:

"the leader of the group is Milano"....whaaaaatttt???

I am not sure how knowledgeable the author of the article is. Milano is not an inside linebacker. Edmunds is the leader of the defense. Vosean has yet to play a real NFL game.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JackKemp said:

I am not sure how knowledgeable the author of the article is. Milano is not an inside linebacker. Edmunds is the leader of the defense. Vosean has yet to play a real NFL game.

Yes. Like we keep saying, Joseph has a very good arsenal of skills. As long as he grasps the playbook and responds well to coaching...he could be scary. As one scout put it, "Stick a $50 bill on each page of his playbook to get his attention!" It is up to him. He can be as good as he wants to be...this is the NFL and he needs to employ total focus on his game. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, noacls said:

Draft Diamonds:

Negatives: 

Tremaine doesn’t have great instincts and I believe part of that is due to his young age. He can be a little slow in his decision making as well as be lured in by misdirection plays. Edmunds will have to try and strengthen his upper and lower body strength. (That will come in due time as he get’s older and his body fills out.) He will from time to time have a bust in man coverage from time to time, Which isn’t due to his lack of playing ability. It’s more due to his mental mistakes.

Do you think that he showed improvement as the season went on for him last year?

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do you think that he showed improvement as the season went on for him last year?

Somewhat, but he was really bad the last New England game. 

Edited by noacls

2 hours ago, noacls said:

Somewhat, but he was really bad the last New England game. 

I think that the Bills took the right approach in having Edmunds play as much as he did.

I was at the Chargers game, and he was targeted all game, and it was tough to watch.

As the season went on, I saw him play better.

There is no question that he can still improve his game, and I think he will.

Also, try not to obsess over what players like Leonard & Vander Esch are doing, because you are setting yourself up for bitterness towards what we have.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, Logic said:

Yeah. Sometimes I don't think people can imagine what it's like to be quarterbacking an NFL defense -- and playing a position that you never played before in your life, no less -- at the age that most players are still sophomores or juniors in college. It was a MASSIVE amount of responsibility and learning they handed him. He had his rough moments, yes, but by December, he was starting to really get the hang of things, as evidenced by his Rookie of the Month award. His future is extremely bright.

I agree. We devote the majority of our time worrying about young quarterbacks, but the responsibility placed on a young MLB new to the league and position is immense in itself.

Edited by Rocket94

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll be interested to see how Edmunds starts the year. Don't think the Bills can afford him to continue to struggle with teams racking up the rushing yards. 

It will be a good early test against Barkley and Bell.

Yes. It will be interesting to see. After being the focal point and getting pounded several times last year, it certainly has to be a learning experience for him. How he performs early on will help define his season. Edmunds knows what to expect now. We know he is young but it is time to step up. Who knows? McDermott may have to shift and make adjustments...this is all still new.

Edited by Rocket94

I think Joseph will be a welcome addition to the LB ing corp McBeane seem to be able to find guys like Millano in their draft picks & i think Joseph will be another one of those guys once he gets up to speed from anything i've heard about his play !! 

Building it the Bills way !! I love it GO BILLS !! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Is that why the Patriots ran for over 300 yards against us in week 16??

i'd say ours wasn't run well, and we had one LB, just edmunds, dude from BC was out.

5 hours ago, T master said:

I think Joseph will be a welcome addition to the LB ing corp McBeane seem to be able to find guys like Millano in their draft picks & i think Joseph will be another one of those guys once he gets up to speed from anything i've heard about his play !! 

Building it the Bills way !! I love it GO BILLS !! 

Joseph could dominate if he puts it all together. Chris Simms went as far as rating him close to the two Devins.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, PaattMaann said:

cool, im glad you liked what you saw from Milano. I too like what I see from him, but for anyone to call him the leader of this LB unit must mean that person smokes a lot of crack 

I think it's largely semantics. Last season, Milano was a BETTER linebacker than Tremaine Edmunds. While the "leader" of the defense is generally the guy calling the plays(MLB), there are plenty of examples of someone other than the MLB earning the designation of leader of the unit or even overall defense. Different people are going to have different opinions about what "leader" even means.

Edmunds has the potential to dominate, but I won't be surprised if he ends up at OLB or even edge if his run instincts don't improve dramatically. He was a 20 Y/0 MLB, so there is no reason to believe he can't. Still wouldn't be shocked if the coaching staff decides his skill set transitions better to edge.

Far too many times, he completely took the wrong angle and that leads to chunk plays a large percentage of the time when it's the MLB's misdiagnosis. He's got to cut down on that to stay at MLB. Again, 20 Y/O rookie so we shall see.