Fairburn: John Brown appears to be heading into TC as Bills’ top wideout

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Or, who still does Strat-O-Matic?

I remember that. Played for years

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We do. I don’t run it, the commissioner has discussed doing an auction this year 

it will be best move you make...we do yahoo online auction. It's great. Try a mock to see how you like it. Hate waiting 20 picks and just watch best players get drafted

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I share this concern. He does have an injury history.

It's no shock that Brown will more likely be the #1 WR, he & Beasley have the most NFL experience on the team.

So who will be the #2 WR? Foster?

I think Foster is the front runner, but I do believe McD will make it a legit battle and I think Zay and Duke will have opportunity to seize the second starting spot.  

I personally would love to see some one like Duke surprise and take it just based on the different skill set he brings with size and big catch radius to give more diversity to the group...but he has a lot to prove still and is still easily behind both Foster and Zay.  We won’t really know what he can actually do until contact starts and he can use his physicality out there.  

But if I was to place a wager, I would bet on Foster to win a starting spot.  He has chemistry already with Josh and spent the offseason working out in CA with Allen.

53 minutes ago, NewCastleFanBills said:

I remember the OC and GM saying they don't buy into the having that "true" #1 WR and would prefer to have a group that plays off one another. I think we will see every WR in different spots depending on who we are playing and the type of DBs they have. I really think the offense will be really fun to watch this season.

...good call bud...I remember the same....some TBD posters disagreed, favoring a #1.........another interesting quote regarding WR's was Mc Beane saying (paraphrased), "the signing of Duke Williams made drafting a WR early not a top priority".......and some TBD pundits already have labeled him as "camp fodder.....won't even make the roster...".......gonna be interesting.....stay tuned.....

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Foster is the front runner, but I do believe McD will make it a legit battle and I think Zay and Duke will have opportunity to seize the second starting spot.  

I personally would love to see some one like Duke surprise and take it just based on the different skill set he brings with size and big catch radius to give more diversity to the group...but he has a lot to prove still and is still easily behind both Foster and Zay.  We won’t really know what he can actually do until contact starts and he can use his physicality out there.  

But if I was to place a wager, I would bet on Foster to win a starting spot.  He has chemistry already with Josh and spent the offseason working out in CA with Allen.

It would be great to see Duke Williams have a great training camp and preseason and see him become a starter, but I just don't see him supplanting Foster.

Williams can definitely make the final 53 roster. Depth at WR has openings. I think Williams will make it and that Sills V could be a surprise addition.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except he also said that John Brown has looked like the best WR on the team every time he’s been on the field.

Not really a shock, John has been the favorite to be WR1 since he was signed to compete for that spot.  And considering he’s the only accomplished Vet outside Cole in the WR room, safe to say he has a good probability to be a starter for our young QB.

My biggest concern with John is durability.

He's missed 8 out of 80 games. If durability is the biggest concern, we should be ok.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

He's missed 8 out of 80 games. If durability is the biggest concern, we should be ok.

He was diagnosed with sickle cell, was slowed down while dealing with lingering hamstring injuries in 2016, had injury filled 2017, and has had a concussion too.  

I like Brown signing a lot, but while he stayed healthy last year, his two previous years weren’t so lucky.  So like I said, my main concern is him staying healthy.  Not claiming he is frail or anything, just that he dealt with injuries in the past.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was diagnosed with sickle cell, was slowed down while dealing with lingering hamstring injuries in 2016, had injury filled 2017, and has had a concussion too.  

I like Brown signing a lot, but while he stayed healthy last year, his two previous years weren’t so lucky.  So like I said, my main concern is him staying healthy.  Not claiming he is frail or anything, just that he dealt with injuries in the past.

I think we're saying the same thing differently. 

He certainly hasn't had an injury riddled career like some WRs the Bills have had in the past (Watkins, Goodwin, etc.), but injuries and health issues worth noting, I suppose. Playing WR usually leads to some injuries over time, including concussions (maybe more so than all other positions). Its definitely something to keep an eye on, but at least the concerns with him aren't production or character/effort based. 

I wasn't trying to twist your words at all, and I didn't assume you were claming him to be frail or anything. Just saying that we should be in good shape if that's the biggest concern with him. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

So the news that John Brown's body lies mouldering in the grave must be premature.  That's good to hear.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That's interesting.  It wasn't that long ago that Buffalo had another speedy receiver with sickle cell.  Marquis Goodwin.

Edited by TigerJ

24 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

So the news that John Brown's body lies mouldering in the grave must be premature.  That's good to hear.

That's interesting.  It wasn't that long ago that Buffalo had another speedy receiver with sickle cell.  Marquis Goodwin.

I think Chris Berman calls him John Brown the Abolitionist 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

who still does a snake draft? Come on...it's all about auction draft

My long time crew (15 yrs strong) of three leagues has an online draft, but our Keeper and especially the Auction league (live in person drafts) are where the prestige is. I love the auction leage draft! ***** talking all day long!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except he also said that John Brown has looked like the best WR on the team every time he’s been on the field.

Not really a shock, John has been the favorite to be WR1 since he was signed to compete for that spot.  And considering he’s the only accomplished Vet outside Cole in the WR room, safe to say he has a good probability to be a starter for our young QB.

My biggest concern with John is durability.

everyone should know that might be the Only downside to Brown.

hell of a ball player.

i hope he lists as #1 come season. means he is healthy.

great pickup for Josh  Allen football. guy will absolutely get over the top at some point in a game. He can catch and run if he has daylight and an angle.

exciting times i hope !

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We have at least 4 guys (IMO) that can be prettt damn good. I absolutely love this WR group and that about the furthest thing from the way I normally feel.

been awhile/ so long some have trouble still with feeling enthusiasm.
no shining stars. but thick with potential beyond Brown Beasly and Jones

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s his nickname. Smokey Brown. 

Beasley’s nickname is “Sauce”

so they like BBq ?

lol

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said: