Would Bills Fans Cheer an Injured Opponent?

judman

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I would never cheer that an opposition player was injured.   That would include Brady.  That's just not the kind of person I am.   I would applaud -- and maybe stand if it was an opposition team's star player -- as the player was taken from the field in the cart just like I would a Bills player. 

Thank you, great post that I hope speaks for the majority of fans!

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We would cheer and anyone that says differently is lying. Everyone wouldn’t cheer but there is a high enough BAC in that stadium to head that route.

I would not and trust me, I am not lying!

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

Remember when Gronk cheap shotted White? I don't think there's a fan in Buffalo that would not have cheered if Gronk was injured on the next play.

So yes!

No! Gronk was not only wrong, he was lacking in ethics and professionalism. Just because someone is lacking don't make it right!

1 hour ago, ricojes said:

I don't think it's fair to compare the NBA and NFL on this topic.  If there is a huge hit in a game, the crowd will roar.  That's the same for any team's fans.  Now if that player is a key player on the opposing team, and does not get up immediately, there will be an immediate "yes! This greatly increases our chances of winning" thought from most.  How 60 or 70,000 people sound during that moment can be interpreted as cheering for the injury rather than cheering for the Bills chances of winning.  And there are some that will cheer the injury, especially if it were Brady.  How long the "cheer" lasts is the key.

For the KD instance, it's completely different IMO.  The fans knew he was coming off a significant injury and was off to a hot start in the game.  When he went down, there wasn't just cheering, many fans were waving goodbye and shouting at KD. 

Well, in a NBA context, if the Buffalo Braves were one win away from an NBA Title and Jabbar blew out his Achilles, I’d be thrilled!

juss sayin 

3 hours ago, judman said:

Do you think the crowd would cheer?  Is he the only one who'd get that treatment?

I'd cheer Gronk visiting on sideline during game and having a player chased off field hitting him with him with helmet destroying Gronk's knee. 

Does this count since he has retired?

I wouldn't cheer if Brady went down but if I was at Foxboro and Ed Oliver destroys him.....

survivor

1 hour ago, teef said:

i laugh when i see random people fall in public.  i just can't help myself.  

What's your age limits for laughing?  I think anyone ages 14-60 is appropriate.  Anyone above 60, I hope they aren't seriously hurt.  Under 2...it's cute.

3-13....eh.

i cheered at the Rj Umbereger hit put on by Bryan Cambell.  I cheered a hit Aaron Williams put on a Titans wr a few years back at the end of a game. Both I celebrated in the moment and then you realize oh man he''s hurt yikes.  

I was at the 2000 home game against the Chargers when our fans cheered our own QB getting hurt.  Let's not act like we're above cheering injuries in Buffalo.

I was utterly disgusted then, and I'd be utterly disgusted in the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I distinctly remember the 1994 AFC Championship game, when Montana got his arm hurt. The camera was on him trying to throw right after that on the sidelines, and when he couldn't really throw and grabbed his arm and winced, the Rich Stadium crowd most definitely cheered this outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

I bet people cheered when this hit happened.

Nothing wrong with cheering a good hit. But Brady wasn’t injured on that play. Got right back up and ended up beating us in OT. If anything, it pissed him off. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wouldn't cheer if Brady went down but if I was at Foxboro and Ed Oliver destroys him.....

survivor

What's your age limits for laughing?  I think anyone ages 14-60 is appropriate.  Anyone above 60, I hope they aren't seriously hurt.  Under 2...it's cute.

3-13....eh.

14-60 is the sweet spot, but not matter what your age is, i'm laughing.

i have felt bad about it though.  maybe two years ago during the winter, my wife and i saw a woman, in her late 60s, fall super hard at a lowes.  it wasn't a casual fall, but rather legs giving out from under her, flopping to the floor.  it happened maybe 10 feet in front of us, and both of us had trouble containing the laughter.  she wasn't hurt, but there's no way she felt ok after hitting the floor like that.

Edited by teef

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I was at the 2000 home game against the Chargers when our fans cheered our own QB getting hurt.  Let's not act like we're above cheering injuries in Buffalo.

I was utterly disgusted then, and I'd be utterly disgusted in the future.

Sad commentary, that.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The clueless a-holes would.

Anyone with the slightest bit of respect for the game wouldn’t. 

I can now say that I totally agree with you. Last season however if someone took a cheap shot on Gronk and he suffered a concussion I'd probably have cheered. Still salty with what he did to Tre. Now that Gronk has retired I'm not going to cheer an injury

41 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Thank you, great post that I hope speaks for the majority of fans!

I would not and trust me, I am not lying!

I said, “everyone wouldn’t” but there would be A LOT of people cheering in that stadium if Brady was laying on the turf.

Just now, Lurker said:

Brady for sure.   

I remember fans at Rich Stadium cheering when Brian Cox got hurt in a Fins game, way back when...

Brian Cox was a total d!#K though. He'd come out flipping everyone off and yelling crap at the fans. He fostered the relationship he had with the Bills fans.

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

I can now say that I totally agree with you. Last season however if someone took a cheap shot on Gronk and he suffered a concussion I'd probably have cheered. Still salty with what he did to Tre. Now that Gronk has retired I'm not going to cheer an injury

I’d have felt the same way about Gronk. But cheering retribution for a cheap shot that concussed your own teammate is a completely different animal than cheering an injury to an opponent that occurs during the normal course of a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tomur67 said:

I hate to admit this , but I was at the game when Rob Johnson got hurt and thousands of Buffalo  fans cheered when Doug Flutie ran out to finish the game.  I'm sure most were Flutie fans and wanted him to be starting anyway, but it was awful  that they were cheering when he ran out onto the field and Johnson was being helped off the field. Very disturbing!

They were cheering BEFORE Flutie ran onto the field.  It was sickneing to me watching Bills fans taunting him and cheering on national televison because one of our own was concussed so hard that he could barely get up.  It was the first and only time I had ever felt ashamed to be a BIlls fan.  I had to turn the TV off.  I never do that when watching a Bills game, but that day I did.

• Like (+1) 1