Great article on YELP

https://thehustle.co/botto-bistro-1-star-yelp/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I noticed myself that most of the places which had good ratings also had advertising but had not realized it was not businesses wanting to advertise there because customers said they found it via YELP but being pushed by marketers. Spoke to friend who has restaurant and was told yes it was true and the restaurant does not even attempt to mention YELP any more.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Extortion is exactly what it is. Good for this guy. I used to always read reviews on places and products before purchasing, but it's difficult to put any stock in some of them  nowadays. There's a local appliance place that my family used to shop at and I went on their website pretty frequently over the years. The never got that great of reviews on Google. They hovered around 3 stars and less than 100 reviews overall.  My mom had a really bad experience so she went left a scathing,  albeit honest and accurate review of her experience.  A few months later I check the reviews and there are close to 400 reviews and their overall rating jumped to around 4.5. 

• Like (+1) 1

I never really trusted them, but never realized it was rigged to this extent. If someone had hundreds of reviews, I figured they were legit, not the owners daughter. I didn’t realize they picked what you get to see to this extent. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two years ago a new restaurant opened in town.  Before checking it out, I looked at their website to look at the menu.  Then I googled a bit and wound up checking some yelp reviews.  The user who posted the first review had a picture with his profile.  He looked very familiar but I couldn't place it.  I then went back to the restaurant's webpage... it was the owner.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

Two years ago a new restaurant opened in town.  Before checking it out, I looked at their website to look at the menu.  Then I googled a bit and wound up checking some yelp reviews.  The user who posted the first review had a picture with his profile.  He looked very familiar but I couldn't place it.  I then went back to the restaurant's webpage... it was the owner.

Maybe he just really like his own food and the service his employees gave him?