Sign in to follow this  
Mike in Horseheads

Marquis Goodwin Wants to Compete in 2020 Olympics

12 hours ago, White Linen said:

Yeah I agree with this too.  

Me, too.  Goodwin is a great guy who gave his all whilst in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Average athlete?

he runs a 4.3 fourty and long Jumps like 20+ feet

hes a freak athlete 

average football athlete when trying to play track and field which requires him, and he seems to put 100% body prep into, to change his training from football player to track and field player.

5 guys in the NCAA championships last week jumped between 26-27 feet, plus the U.S. has a stable of jumpers in the Olympic system.  Marquise's best ever is just over 27'.  He's probably not in top jumping shape and being a bit of an "older" guy now his chances of making the team are pretty thin IMO but he's a great American. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good for him, it’s his dream. But I think he’s a better football player when he’s not focusing on his Olympic training. I don’t know if the niners will love this news. 

...great point Yolo....AGREE 100%........

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is a world class athlete and world class guy. I wish him nothing but the best in his quest.

Ditto.  And coincidentally, I'm also glad he's no longer a Bill so we don't have to worry about whether or not football is his priority.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk10s11 seconds agoMarquise Goodwin wants to compete in 2020 Olympics

Goodwin, who finished 10th in the long jump at the 2012 Games, hasn’t competed in track since 2016 when he failed to qualify for the Olympics a second time. But he said he was “100 percent committed” to trying to qualify for Team USA next summer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/11/marquise-goodwin-wants-to-compete-in-2020-olympics/

The 49s can expect less out of him and more injuries.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Ditto.  And coincidentally, I'm also glad he's no longer a Bill so we don't have to worry about whether or not football is his priority.

Honestly, I don’t feel like it’s our place to have a say anyways. The team can either grant his wish or he can quit football. My guess is that he’s allowed to try but he won’t qualify (sadly). It’s hard to do that part-time and still be one of the best in America. We have too many great athletes trying to earn those spots.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Chill said:

Glass Goodwin???

Thats a lofty goal for an average athlete. 

Ill predict he doesn’t make it. 

Best of luck to him and his endeavors. 

You think he is an average athlete? I guess you don't know much about him.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

It was a shame he was always injured here. Really great guy. He's played well in San Fran.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

You think he is an average athlete? I guess you don't know much about him.

It was a shame he was always injured here. Really great guy. He's played well in San Fran.

To be completely honest, I was always a tad skeptical about his injuries while he was in Buffalo.  Training for the Olympics isn't cheap.  As time has gone on, I'm far less skeptical.

The tragedy he and his wife endured tugged HARD at my heart-strings.  I'll always pull for the guy and I hope he can realize his Olympic dreams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honestly, I don’t feel like it’s our place to have a say anyways. The team can either grant his wish or he can quit football. My guess is that he’s allowed to try but he won’t qualify (sadly). It’s hard to do that part-time and still be one of the best in America. We have too many great athletes trying to earn those spots.

I think you miss my point.  I absolutely respect his desire to chase his dream.  At the same time, I can be glad he's not doing something that almost certainly interferes with him being the best football player he can be (for my favorite team).

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think you miss my point.  I absolutely respect his desire to chase his dream.  At the same time, I can be glad he's not doing something that almost certainly interferes with him being the best football player he can be (for my favorite team).

I didn’t miss it just don’t see it that way. Unless players are jeopardizing their careers with criminal behavior I don’t care what they are doing off the field. If Mitch Morse wants to throw the shot-put, so be it. I will cheer for him. I don’t look at training to be an Olympian as interfering. If he was gaining 65 lbs for a movie role I’d be concerned.

It will simply detract from his breadwinning football career. More injuries plus he isn't really an Olympian level athlete. Very good athlete but not quite that level.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

It will simply detract from his breadwinning football career. More injuries plus he isn't really an Olympian level athlete. Very good athlete but not quite that level.

He already was an Olympian.   

20 minutes ago, White Linen said:

This is true.  He finished 10th in the 2012 Olympics.

28 minutes ago, White Linen said:

A very marginal one and how old is he now? Don't mean to demean him though.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

A very marginal one and how old is he now? Don't mean to demean him though.

I was just saying he is that level of an athlete.  

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wasn't one of the knocks on him that, because he was also training for the Olympics, that he didn't give Buffalo his all?

That and he couldn't catch or stay on the field.

6 yrs, over $13 million so far and an Olympian with a chance at a 2nd Olympics. Sign me up. Plus we sure could have used him last year.

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wasn't one of the knocks on him that, because he was also training for the Olympics, that he didn't give Buffalo his all?

That and he couldn't catch or stay on the field.

EJ, Kyle, Tyrod. 

Just now, Gugny said:

EJ, Kyle, Tyrod. 

True.  They were all out to get him.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

True.  They were all out to get him.

They were certainly not out to throw him catchable passes, which could explain his 900 yard season in SF after he left the Bills.

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They were certainly not out to throw him catchable passes, which could explain his 900 yard season in SF after he left the Bills.

I actually wondered if he slept with EJ’s GF a couple times. Damn near got him killed! 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Go for the Gold 'quise!  Your fans are behind you!

Hopefully we'll all be calling him Marquis Gold'win soon...

• Like (+1) 1