Marquis Goodwin Wants to Compete in 2020 Olympics

You cannot be an Olympic athlete and not give 100% of your time towards that craft. Many have tried and they just cannot do it. Tyrone Wheatley did the same thing with the 110M hurdles back a long time ago. He even acknowledged that the time and effort into being an Olympic Athlete was far greater than that of a football player. He admitted he didn’t have the time to dedicate himself to the  sport. 

Glass should probably quit football and focus on his long jumping. After all, he’s not really any good at football and he’s often hurt. It would be better for his health. 

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

You may not like him but I think the word average is a bit much here 

We will see. Part of that might’ve been having a qb and offensive scheme that worked.

Could be. But also thinks it has to do with body composition and availability as well. And I think prepping for the triple jump he changed his body composition which led to availability issues as well

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Could be. But also thinks it has to do with body composition and availability as well. And I think prepping for the triple jump he changed his body composition which led to availability issues as well

If you throw out the 1 season that was a complete wash, his average games played hasn’t been drastically different between the clubs. 

While I think training for another sport isn’t ideal, I don’t know if it’s as drastic as some portray. A better qb, not returning kicks, etc... can all be factors to his productivity 

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Average athlete?

he runs a 4.3 fourty and long Jumps like 20+ feet

hes a freak athlete 

average football athlete when trying to play track and field which requires him, and he seems to put 100% body prep into, to change his training from football player to track and field player.

5 guys in the NCAA championships last week jumped between 26-27 feet, plus the U.S. has a stable of jumpers in the Olympic system.  Marquise's best ever is just over 27'.  He's probably not in top jumping shape and being a bit of an "older" guy now his chances of making the team are pretty thin IMO but he's a great American. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good for him, it’s his dream. But I think he’s a better football player when he’s not focusing on his Olympic training. I don’t know if the niners will love this news. 

...great point Yolo....AGREE 100%........

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is a world class athlete and world class guy. I wish him nothing but the best in his quest.

Ditto.  And coincidentally, I'm also glad he's no longer a Bill so we don't have to worry about whether or not football is his priority.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk10s11 seconds agoMarquise Goodwin wants to compete in 2020 Olympics

Goodwin, who finished 10th in the long jump at the 2012 Games, hasn’t competed in track since 2016 when he failed to qualify for the Olympics a second time. But he said he was “100 percent committed” to trying to qualify for Team USA next summer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/11/marquise-goodwin-wants-to-compete-in-2020-olympics/

The 49s can expect less out of him and more injuries.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Ditto.  And coincidentally, I'm also glad he's no longer a Bill so we don't have to worry about whether or not football is his priority.

Honestly, I don’t feel like it’s our place to have a say anyways. The team can either grant his wish or he can quit football. My guess is that he’s allowed to try but he won’t qualify (sadly). It’s hard to do that part-time and still be one of the best in America. We have too many great athletes trying to earn those spots.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Chill said:

Glass Goodwin???

Thats a lofty goal for an average athlete. 

Ill predict he doesn’t make it. 

Best of luck to him and his endeavors. 

You think he is an average athlete? I guess you don't know much about him.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Me, too.  Goodwin is a great guy who gave his all whilst in Buffalo.

It was a shame he was always injured here. Really great guy. He's played well in San Fran.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

You think he is an average athlete? I guess you don't know much about him.

It was a shame he was always injured here. Really great guy. He's played well in San Fran.

To be completely honest, I was always a tad skeptical about his injuries while he was in Buffalo.  Training for the Olympics isn't cheap.  As time has gone on, I'm far less skeptical.

The tragedy he and his wife endured tugged HARD at my heart-strings.  I'll always pull for the guy and I hope he can realize his Olympic dreams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honestly, I don’t feel like it’s our place to have a say anyways. The team can either grant his wish or he can quit football. My guess is that he’s allowed to try but he won’t qualify (sadly). It’s hard to do that part-time and still be one of the best in America. We have too many great athletes trying to earn those spots.

I think you miss my point.  I absolutely respect his desire to chase his dream.  At the same time, I can be glad he's not doing something that almost certainly interferes with him being the best football player he can be (for my favorite team).

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think you miss my point.  I absolutely respect his desire to chase his dream.  At the same time, I can be glad he's not doing something that almost certainly interferes with him being the best football player he can be (for my favorite team).

I didn’t miss it just don’t see it that way. Unless players are jeopardizing their careers with criminal behavior I don’t care what they are doing off the field. If Mitch Morse wants to throw the shot-put, so be it. I will cheer for him. I don’t look at training to be an Olympian as interfering. If he was gaining 65 lbs for a movie role I’d be concerned.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

It will simply detract from his breadwinning football career. More injuries plus he isn't really an Olympian level athlete. Very good athlete but not quite that level.

He already was an Olympian.